Raekwon Davis... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis...

Am I wrong to think Raekwon Davis is more of a base 3/4 DE in Flores system, who's versatility will move inside on passing downs. Kind of like the way Miami used Kendall Langford when they drafted him?
That looked like his role on 'Bama...

What did that get Saban? 26 hurries and 0.5 sacks. Imagine trying to improve on those numbers against a player who gets paid to stop those numbers from rising, as opposed to a player who is getting their resume' together for entry into the job market.

I thought Davis was a real reach at first and really questioned the pick... But

I'm deferring to Flores on 2 fronts -- his talent eval and scheme assessment.

If he was PUMPED to get this dude then who the hell am I to ??? it...

I don't think there was a 2019 highlight in that entire video.

I think they were all from 2019. It says it was from his Senior year. Like I said, every player has highlight and lowlight videos. If Flores likes him, he obviously thinks he can coach him up to be a productive NFL player. And that's what matters most.
Am I wrong to think Raekwon Davis is more of a base 3/4 DE in Flores system, who's versatility will move inside on passing downs. Kind of like the way Miami used Kendall Langford when they drafted him?

I think that is exactly it. The primary focus on this pick was improving the run defense. He is immovable in the run game and can move inside to rush the passer. But that could be a developmental part of his game. They have other inside penetrators on passing downs already. Flores is clearly making sure runs get stuffed with the additions this offseason.

I think they were all from 2019. It says it was from his Senior year. Like I said, every player has highlight and lowlight videos. If Flores likes him, he obviously thinks he can coach him up to be a productive NFL player. And that's what matters most.

I think that is exactly it. The primary focus on this pick was improving the run defense. He is immovable in the run game and can move inside to rush the passer. But that could be a developmental part of his game. They have other inside penetrators on passing downs already. Flores is clearly making sure runs get stuffed with the additions this offseason.
2019 would not have him sacking Kelly Bryant while he was the QB at Clemson.

I get the developmental aspect of football coaches and players. What I don't get is using premium picks on developmental players.

You develop round 3 (on down) for possible starter by the end of their contract. Rounds 1 & 2 should be ready to hit the ground running.

We seem to have taken a different approach by drafting starters late and developing "premium" talent.

As a Bama guy,I'm kind of"meh" on this pick...He COULD be a solid starter for years or he COULD NOT.....i make myself feel better about this pick ..by saying to myself.
"At least it's better value,than spending a 1st on Charles Harris!!!!"....

2019 would not have him sacking Kelly Bryant while he was the QB at Clemson.

I get the developmental aspect of football coaches and players. What I don't get is using premium picks on developmental players.

You develop round 3 (on down) for possible starter by the end of their contract. Rounds 1 & 2 should be ready to hit the ground running.

We seem to have taken a different approach by drafting starters late and developing "premium" talent.

Every draft pick is developmental. If you are picking a guy that can't improve, you are picking Charles Harris. Davis can hit the ground running as a run stuffer. The Dolphins needed that desperately. If he can get coached up to become a good to great pass rusher on top of that, he becomes a steal.

If Raekwon Davis is able to be a force against the run and stabilize the LDE position. I'd be ecstatic. Miami's lack of edge setters who are stout and offer size was sorely lacking. Davis at the very least brings size and girth against the run. Hopefully it works out for Miami.

As a Bama guy,I'm kind of"meh" on this pick...He COULD be a solid starter for years or he COULD NOT.....i make myself feel better about this pick ..by saying to myself.
"At least it's better value,than spending a 1st on Charles Harris!!!!"....

Low bar

Could it be that Alabama's DL coach just isn't that good? Look at how players have been developed under Larry Johnson at Ohio State as opposed to Alabama. Did Ohio State have better recruits? I don't think so. For the most part Alabama's highly touted DL recruits were not developed. This is my hope with Davis.

Davis was my least favorite pick in this Draft.

His destiny may be as a dirty work guy who is not a big stat producer but contributes is less tangible ways.

Hopefully he lives up to what the team sees in him.

Last edited:
Could it be that Alabama's DL coach just isn't that good? Look at how players have been developed under Larry Johnson at Ohio State as opposed to Alabama. Did Ohio State have better recruits? I don't think so. For the most part Alabama's highly touted DL recruits were not developed. This is my hope with Davis.

Bama had 3 Dline coaches during his time - Karl Dunbar, Craig Kuligowski and Brian Baker.

Davis was my least favorite pick in this Draft.

His destiny may be as a dirty work guy who is not a big stat producer but makes contributes is less tangible ways.

Hopefully he lives up to what the team sees in him.
This just goes to show how different we are. He was my favorite pick, (after Tua). We needed a big physical DT in the middle of our D-line to disrupt things and we got a monster. He sets things up to pressure opposing QBs to take risks in passing the ball and we now have 3 quality CBs.

This just goes to show how different we are. He was my favorite pick, (after Tua). We needed a big physical DT in the middle of our D-line to disrupt things and we got a monster. He sets things up to pressure opposing QBs to take risks in passing the ball and we now have 3 quality CBs.

Maybe, I just wish he had done more of those things at Alabama.

That's the problem he's big, but he doesn't play that physical. I see no explosion in his game. He was the biggest reason why I was so critical about what Miami did on day two of the draft. I hated the pick.

Back
Top Bottom