Raekwon Davis... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis...

Raekwon Davis- man I cant get a read on this guy.
My process usually starts with whether a guy jumped out on any games that’s I’ve watched (very limited). But always trust the games- it’s one of reasons I couldn’t understand why a guy like Desmond King (one of my all time fave college players) dropped).
Then basically I keep my ears open to some of the more talented evaluators and some guys of the guys on this board.

With Davis- its a hard evaluation. He is double teamed A LOT but on the flip side there are TOO FEW dynamic plays from a would be “STAR”.
Part of the issue with Davis is at 6’6 315 - Bama- we expect more.

Ultimately I think he will carve out snaps- and likely fall into the same ranking out of HS, behind guys like Simmons, Brown, Lawrence, Oliver. At #56 in the draft I’m looking for pro bowl potential. Not sure we get it from Davis. Would’ve preferred Mims, Willie Gay, couple others.

It would be one thing if this guy came from a program where he was properly coached, but you can't say that about Bama.

I understand he has traits you can't teach and that is why they took him, but I wish I was more confident that he will make more plays in Miami than he did at Bama.

It would be one thing if this guy came from a program where he was properly coached, but you can't say that about Bama.

I understand he has traits you can't teach and that is why they took him, but I wish I was more confident that he will make more plays in Miami than he did at Bama.

I think you can. Most of their DL recruits have under achieved and the Alabama D has been an urban legend ever since Ezekiel Elliot made them his biotch.

Most of us gushed over Q Williams.
His year 1 production with NYJ was very Davis like.
Not in a good way.
So Davis is what he is. Meh. He’s not Simmons. He’s not Brown (Auburn).

But keep in mind he’s #56 player in the draft not #15- it’s relevant to an extent.
But that’s NOT how to win the draft.

I get a read on the guy pretty easily.

Rather have the guy so physically dominant that you keep getting surprised and frustrated when he doesn't make a play, than the guy whose inability to make a play is entirely unsurprising.
Would the latter even be on the team getting snaps?

During the Charles Harris draft, I remember dismissing him immediately for the 1st round based on his 3 tackles a game in college.

My read on Davis is he is really good as a gap occupier. He hunkers down and isn’t moved off his spot. Even when he is double teamed, he is just almost completely immovable. He looks better in tight quarters as opposed to being on the outside or in space. He has some chase and pursuit ability, it’s just not his bread and butter. He’s got some quick twitch ability, but that’s not something he does repeatedly or often. He’s got some quick penetration and upfield and pass rush ability, but again it’s not something he does repeatedly or often. Because of all this, I see him as more of a true NT in a 3-4 alignment. I think him projecting to NT, would free up Wilkins more to the end in the 3-4, which he excels at IMO. I like the pick, but I don’t think he is projected or expected to put up big numbers, more so, he is expected to be a gap occupier. It’s all about TEAM D with this staff, how all the puzzles fit together. Just my opine!

I honestly thought that Josh Jones was going to be the pick.

Some of you guys need another hobby. Too much complaining. :lol:

Raekwon Davis is 6'6" 311. Solid.
  • If they can get him to play like he did as a sophomore, that's hall of fame talent.
  • If they can get him to be an average pass rusher, it's a hell of a steal in the late 2nd.
  • If he NEVER becomes a force as a pass rusher but sets the edge, eats up double teams, and makes it ridiculously hard to run the ball, I'm still happy.
Barring possible legal/injury issues, I can't think of many other reasons why one of the three doesn't happen.

Some of you guys need another hobby. Too much complaining. :lol:

Raekwon Davis is 6'6" 311. Solid.
  • If they can get him to play like he did as a sophomore, that's hall of fame talent.
  • If they can get him to be an average pass rusher, it's a hell of a steal in the late 2nd.
  • If he NEVER becomes a force as a pass rusher but sets the edge, eats up double teams, and makes it ridiculously hard to run the ball, I'm still happy.
Barring possible legal/injury issues, I can't think of many other reasons why one of the three doesn't happen.
Exactly. Great points. My man!!!

My read on Davis is he is really good as a gap occupier. He hunkers down and isn’t moved off his spot. Even when he is double teamed, he is just almost completely immovable. He looks better in tight quarters as opposed to being on the outside or in space. He has some chase and pursuit ability, it’s just not his bread and butter. He’s got some quick twitch ability, but that’s not something he does repeatedly or often. He’s got some quick penetration and upfield and pass rush ability, but again it’s not something he does repeatedly or often. Because of all this, I see him as more of a true NT in a 3-4 alignment. I think him projecting to NT, would free up Wilkins more to the end in the 3-4, which he excels at IMO. I like the pick, but I don’t think he is projected or expected to put up big numbers, more so, he is expected to be a gap occupier. It’s all about TEAM D with this staff, how all the puzzles fit together. Just my opine!
I agree 100%. I also see him in the base 3/4 at LDE.

Back
Top Bottom