Raekwon Mcmillan??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolfanISS, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:43 AM.

1. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I don't want to start a 1 preseason game overreaction thread as at the end of the day last nights game was practice. I'm nervous about some of the things I'm reading about Raekwon McMillan even more so than I seen in the game last night and some posters on here seem really high on him so I want some convincing.

Every pre draft scouting report of seen projected him as an average NFL starter at SAM yet some feel he's the answer at MIKE, why is this?

Every pre draft scouting report I've seen says he struggles in coverage yet some seem to be expecting him to be paired with Kiko in the nickel, why is this?

If you read Raekwon's scouting report, then read Jerome Baker's would you not be more excited about Baker?

We need this guy to be as advertised on Finheaven or our LB unit will be screwed. Why do folks think he will?

McMichael, crumpdaddy and KTOWNFINFAN like this.
  2. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

I have no idea why he's being touted as this key ingredient when we haven't even seen the guy in action. I stated that before, hopefully he's a dog but time will tell

superphin likes this.
  3. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

I think he has a nice taste in cars based upon the halftime story on him.

TrinidadDolfan and Michael Scott like this.
  4. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Perhaps link a few pre draft reports that you are seeing. Every is such a strong word and gets over used quite often.

I think Raekwon has a lot to prove after suffering a season ending injury as a rookie. He made his mark as a MLB at Ohio State which isn't easy. Expectations are going to be high for him but he has to balance being careful with his knee and over extending himself to where it might cause a setback.

AZStryker likes this.
  5. DolfanISS

You're right, every is a strong word but I haven't found one that touts his coverage skills yet some seem shocked he's not paired with Kiko as the Nickel:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/raekwon-mcmillan?id=2558070

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-raekwon-mcmillan-ilb-ohio-state

Can anyone find a scouting report that states McMillan has coverage skills?

6. HopaLong

HopaLong Rookie

He misread a couple of plays and took bad angles. It happens. The question is how quickly can he get coached up, and how much work will he put into the film room to learn from the errors. I'm not going to over react to any player good or bad over the first preseason game.

Michael Scott, joenhre and ANUFan like this.
  7. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

More than McMillian, I would start to worry about the interior of the DL..Yikes!

PlexGod likes this.
  8. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Considering it was his first action at MLB in the pros and the return from an injury like that, his head was probably spinning. Hopefully the confidence will come soon

9. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I never remember reading about him as a coverage guy, I remember him being touted as a MLB who was very good against the run, was intelligent to make the defensive calls, and a great leader. If he can stop the run consistently I'll be happy.

10. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I think the scouting reports become less relevant when he comes into the facility and demonstrates his talent, ability, and desire before your very eyes.

That is what he did last year as a rookie. He came in and grabbed that spot.

That's why the staff is so high on him. Not really concerned about what the college-tape-watching gurus say about his time at Ohio State.

11. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

I don't recall anyone slating him in at coverage in the nickel, that's moreso Baker's future job. Raekwon is what he is. He's going to be a solid, steady eddie for a while.

12. DolfanISS

I agree 100% but I do see folks expecting him to be on the field in nickel.

Ray R likes this.
  13. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Having Reshad right behind him should really help during the regular season. I hope it was just him learning to trust his instincts after such a long time off the field, could take a few weeks. We do need him to be productive this year though.

HopaLong and Ray R like this.
  14. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

McMillan had yet to taste what it feels to play LB in the NFL, add to that he is coming back from a serious injury, so it may take a few games before he starts to get comfortable.

The things that are in his favor of succeeding are, he is a very intelligent player, that has been a leader everywhere he has been, also, he is a gamer, that will play hard once he gets comfortable, finally, he's a 24/7 type player that will do the work, will be watching video for each game.

I have not seen the game yet, but I did not expect to hear he was playing like a superstar considering, his age, his 0 experience in the NFL, and the fact he was rehabbing or on the sidelines all last year.

phinman1 and joenhre like this.
  15. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

He’s such a hard worker and a grinder that he’s gonna watch so much film on this game to see what he did wrong.

He is still a rookie. He’s not quite back yet.

Superself likes this.
  16. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Mike generally stay on the field during nickel? It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be dropping in coverage; you still need to respect the run. May also be a spy on more mobile QB's.

17. DolfanISS

No, not on our team. The Mike went off the field last year. I think they play the most athletic 2 (Kiko/Timmons, Kiko/Anthony in 2017). The Mike (Hull/Allen/Mauluga) didn't do nickel.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  18. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

No need to judge 1st game the guy ever played in. Hopefully he will get better

19. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Good point. I would like to see Kwon, Kiko, and the big white guy as our LB's in base, and Baker/Anthony as the LB's in nickle. That could work out nicely if McMillan can handle the job, and all of these guys are young too.

20. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Be patient. Raekwon was a genuine star at Ohio State and his leadership skills are natural. He needs to get more games under him and you will see why we drafted him in the 2nd round last year.

21. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

I am right there with you on Raekwon. Give it time, he needs NFL experience to get use to the speed and balancing how much he can do on the field without having lingering knee issues. I think it was on the 3 yards per carry podcast where I heard them say he had minor swelling.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  22. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

People are excited about McMillian, but last night was his first game. How is that any different from fans being excited about Fitzpatrick or Gesicki or any other rookie in the league that hadn't played yet?

23. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

He plays mike. He needs to flash consistently.

24. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

His first meaningful snaps in over a year? Yeah I’ll wait another week or two before I hit any panic buttons

25. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Think of it this way, yesterday was his first game time since his injury and was pretty much the anniversary of his injury. I imagine it was in his head a lot. Hopefully he gets past it next week.

fishfanmiami, Superself and FanMarino like this.
  26. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think everyone is rooting for this guy. He hasn't really played in a real game since the 2016 college season so it'll take some time. I just hope is not too long cause we need a real Mike out there.

fishfanmiami and FanMarino like this.
  27. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Last night he played small. Bad angles. Poor body positioning. Easily moved. I'm not ready to call it an absolute given the injury recovery but it happened time and again.

We might not see what we drafted until 2019

phintim likes this.
  28. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

Drafted...1st pre-season game he was lost for the season. (Dont start me on Special Teams role) He's gone through intensive rehab training after a huge injury to get back to suiting up and actually tackling again and people are asking why he isn't making tackles in the backfield or putting in a Pro-Bowl performance after a few weeks of training and one pre-season game. Really? Reality check needed. Give him a break. Seriously.

gerblack, joenhre and fishfanmiami like this.
  29. FanMarino

Yeah. Because the Phins and us fans expect that year in, year out yeah? Come on.

30. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

You might be correct but let's hope not. I'm sure the coaches saw the same and will address that with him. Might be something correctable in the next 3 games.

FanMarino likes this.
  31. FanMarino

I think some fans forget the team has coaches. Rookies and young players after an early injury are raw when it comes to the NFL and don't suddenly become Pro-Bowlers.

32. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

It was his first game as a ML in the NFL, on top of that, he's coming off a pretty bad knee injury. The coaches totally love this kid and they see him every day. He promoted Baker, his Ohio State teammate to the Dolphins brass and they snagged him in the 3rd round. We're very lucky to have 2 kids like #52 and #55, get used to seeing them fly to the football sideline to sideline. As long as McMillan is ready to Rock and Roll on opening day I'm good with it. Those 2 kids will make you proud if you give them a chance. What a draft!!!!!!!!!! Minkah, Gisecki, Baker, Ballage and Smythe and a couple other good prospects.

We are going in the right direction. We have a lot of new parts that have to gel together and a bunch of new coaches but this teams is gaining strength every practice, every pre-season game and every day. BTW, #71, Sitton, looks pretty tough out there, he toughening up Laremy and teaching him to be a Pro.

joenhre likes this.
  33. Scrap

Scrap Hall Of Famer

Totally agree. People have talked him up like he’s an all pro.

34. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

The mike in this d should flash. I haven’t seen the game tape yet so I will reserve judgement. And even then Lawrence Timmons looked terrific in the preseason last year and the more he played in the regular season the older he looked.

35. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I would encourage you to watch them play.

As for scouting reports, the ones I read all focused on how Raekwon McMillan was one of the highest recruited Mike's out of high school, and how he was born to play the position. He was the brains of that Ohio State defense, organizing it and playing Mike exceptionally well. He is very instinctual at the position, and almost never makes a mis-step or mis-diagnosis. The kid is a Mike, pure and simple. Any report that cast him as a Sam, is probably off. Watching him play he is strong at the point of attack, a great tackler, and plays the run exceptionally well. He can also pass rush a little bit. So, I can see how someone might use him as a Sam … but this kids skills are pure Mike all the way.

As conscientious and hard working as McMillan is … I'm just not sold on Baker having those same hard working qualities. Baker is tremendously fast, and has the talent, despite being safety-sized. But … he is going to need to prove it to me by putting in the film study, mastering the playbook, and refining his game before I'm going to feel confident playing Baker too much. He still has a long way to go, IMHO.

The only thing that Baker has over McMillan is speed. McMillan is the more instinctual player, the better organizer, better tackler, better run defender, more mature, better prepared, more devoted to refining his craft, and more dependable player. I'd take McMillan over Baker 8 days a week. Now, I do hope that Baker adopts McMillan's work ethic, because Baker has a high ceiling. But, He hasn't really shown that he is devoted to reaching it yet. So, I need to see that.

DolfanISS and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  36. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

One was lost a year ago almost to the day. The other 2 have played 12, to13 games since McMillian played 1 snap. Everyone here is worried about Ryan not playing in a year and half. McMillan played his last game2 months after Ryan and he was in college.

37. DolfanISS

This is excellent, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Digital and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  38. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Well he made it more than one play this year so that's a plus.

39. lbmclean_nocal

lbmclean_nocal Active Member

patience is not a finheaven thing. you have to play fast RIGHT NOW!!!! I don't quite buy the narrative that spending a whole rookie season on IR
    with an NFL team makes you better than any rookie

40. 06HEMI

06HEMI Well-Known Member

I would be interested in the results of a mental evaluation of some members on this site. There has to be a handful of you with certifiable conditions related to paranoia and schizophrenia. There just is no other explanation for some of delusional thoughts that a consistently on display.
    The dude blew out his knee last year and just played in his first game back!!!!
    Unbelievable.