Raekwon Mcmillan?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Mcmillan??

You might be correct but let's hope not. I'm sure the coaches saw the same and will address that with him. Might be something correctable in the next 3 games.
I think some fans forget the team has coaches. Rookies and young players after an early injury are raw when it comes to the NFL and don't suddenly become Pro-Bowlers.

It was his first game as a ML in the NFL, on top of that, he's coming off a pretty bad knee injury. The coaches totally love this kid and they see him every day. He promoted Baker, his Ohio State teammate to the Dolphins brass and they snagged him in the 3rd round. We're very lucky to have 2 kids like #52 and #55, get used to seeing them fly to the football sideline to sideline. As long as McMillan is ready to Rock and Roll on opening day I'm good with it. Those 2 kids will make you proud if you give them a chance. What a draft!!!!!!!!!! Minkah, Gisecki, Baker, Ballage and Smythe and a couple other good prospects.

We are going in the right direction. We have a lot of new parts that have to gel together and a bunch of new coaches but this teams is gaining strength every practice, every pre-season game and every day. BTW, #71, Sitton, looks pretty tough out there, he toughening up Laremy and teaching him to be a Pro.

I have no idea why he's being touted as this key ingredient when we haven't even seen the guy in action. I stated that before, hopefully he's a dog but time will tell
Totally agree. People have talked him up like he’s an all pro.

Yeah. Because the Phins and us fans expect that year in, year out yeah? Come on.

The mike in this d should flash. I haven’t seen the game tape yet so I will reserve judgement. And even then Lawrence Timmons looked terrific in the preseason last year and the more he played in the regular season the older he looked.

I don't want to start a 1 preseason game overreaction thread as at the end of the day last nights game was practice. I'm nervous about some of the things I'm reading about Raekwon McMillan even more so than I seen in the game last night and some posters on here seem really high on him so I want some convincing.

Every pre draft scouting report of seen projected him as an average NFL starter at SAM yet some feel he's the answer at MIKE, why is this?

Every pre draft scouting report I've seen says he struggles in coverage yet some seem to be expecting him to be paired with Kiko in the nickel, why is this?

If you read Raekwon's scouting report, then read Jerome Baker's would you not be more excited about Baker?

We need this guy to be as advertised on Finheaven or our LB unit will be screwed. Why do folks think he will?
I would encourage you to watch them play.

As for scouting reports, the ones I read all focused on how Raekwon McMillan was one of the highest recruited Mike's out of high school, and how he was born to play the position. He was the brains of that Ohio State defense, organizing it and playing Mike exceptionally well. He is very instinctual at the position, and almost never makes a mis-step or mis-diagnosis. The kid is a Mike, pure and simple. Any report that cast him as a Sam, is probably off. Watching him play he is strong at the point of attack, a great tackler, and plays the run exceptionally well. He can also pass rush a little bit. So, I can see how someone might use him as a Sam … but this kids skills are pure Mike all the way.

As conscientious and hard working as McMillan is … I'm just not sold on Baker having those same hard working qualities. Baker is tremendously fast, and has the talent, despite being safety-sized. But … he is going to need to prove it to me by putting in the film study, mastering the playbook, and refining his game before I'm going to feel confident playing Baker too much. He still has a long way to go, IMHO.

The only thing that Baker has over McMillan is speed. McMillan is the more instinctual player, the better organizer, better tackler, better run defender, more mature, better prepared, more devoted to refining his craft, and more dependable player. I'd take McMillan over Baker 8 days a week. Now, I do hope that Baker adopts McMillan's work ethic, because Baker has a high ceiling. But, He hasn't really shown that he is devoted to reaching it yet. So, I need to see that.

People are excited about McMillian, but last night was his first game. How is that any different from fans being excited about Fitzpatrick or Gesicki or any other rookie in the league that hadn't played yet?

One was lost a year ago almost to the day. The other 2 have played 12, to13 games since McMillian played 1 snap. Everyone here is worried about Ryan not playing in a year and half. McMillan played his last game2 months after Ryan and he was in college.

I would encourage you to watch them play.

As for scouting reports, the ones I read all focused on how Raekwon McMillan was one of the highest recruited Mike's out of high school, and how he was born to play the position. He was the brains of that Ohio State defense, organizing it and playing Mike exceptionally well. He is very instinctual at the position, and almost never makes a mis-step or mis-diagnosis. The kid is a Mike, pure and simple. Any report that cast him as a Sam, is probably off. Watching him play he is strong at the point of attack, a great tackler, and plays the run exceptionally well. He can also pass rush a little bit. So, I can see how someone might use him as a Sam … but this kids skills are pure Mike all the way.

As conscientious and hard working as McMillan is … I'm just not sold on Baker having those same hard working qualities. Baker is tremendously fast, and has the talent, despite being safety-sized. But … he is going to need to prove it to me by putting in the film study, mastering the playbook, and refining his game before I'm going to feel confident playing Baker too much. He still has a long way to go, IMHO.

The only thing that Baker has over McMillan is speed. McMillan is the more instinctual player, the better organizer, better tackler, better run defender, more mature, better prepared, more devoted to refining his craft, and more dependable player. I'd take McMillan over Baker 8 days a week. Now, I do hope that Baker adopts McMillan's work ethic, because Baker has a high ceiling. But, He hasn't really shown that he is devoted to reaching it yet. So, I need to see that.

This is excellent, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Be patient. Raekwon was a genuine star at Ohio State and his leadership skills are natural. He needs to get more games under him and you will see why we drafted him in the 2nd round last year.

patience is not a finheaven thing. you have to play fast RIGHT NOW!!!! I don't quite buy the narrative that spending a whole rookie season on IR
with an NFL team makes you better than any rookie

I would be interested in the results of a mental evaluation of some members on this site. There has to be a handful of you with certifiable conditions related to paranoia and schizophrenia. There just is no other explanation for some of delusional thoughts that a consistently on display.
The dude blew out his knee last year and just played in his first game back!!!!
Unbelievable.

I don't want to start a 1 preseason game overreaction thread as at the end of the day last nights game was practice. I'm nervous about some of the things I'm reading about Raekwon McMillan even more so than I seen in the game last night and some posters on here seem really high on him so I want some convincing.

Every pre draft scouting report of seen projected him as an average NFL starter at SAM yet some feel he's the answer at MIKE, why is this?

Every pre draft scouting report I've seen says he struggles in coverage yet some seem to be expecting him to be paired with Kiko in the nickel, why is this?

If you read Raekwon's scouting report, then read Jerome Baker's would you not be more excited about Baker?

We need this guy to be as advertised on Finheaven or our LB unit will be screwed. Why do folks think he will?

I remember a few weeks ago debating with someone who was convinced our LB group would be much better this year, and claimed Raekwon was by the far the biggest reason...

"So a player whos never played a down in a real game and hasnt proven anything at all is the reason we will have a much better LB group?

He said yah, and proceeded to explain how he was a 100% sure bet....absolutely amazing how many people drink the off-season kool-aid on pretty much EVERY position. Obviously it's still way too early to be down on him.....

Its also way too early to claim him as the savior of our LBs, as so many people blindly did on this site.Im guessing 99% of their reasoning was simply his 2nd round status as well....

Last edited:
Everyone's pretty much covered it here. First snaps, back from injury, etc..

But what got me excited about him when we drafted him was the program he came from, and leadership role he had for that team and that defense.

Solid pedigree.

More than McMillian, I would start to worry about the interior of the DL..Yikes!
As stated by many, I will not worry (or try to at least) after 1 preseason game....but Yikes! is right.

Honestly expectations are too high right out the gate. Hes a rookie for all intents. Give him a little time

He’s in the right gaps. The guy that is killing us with gap integrity on this tape at lb is Stephone Anthony.

Nothing looks to have changed in Miami scheme wise in terms of gap accountability at lb ask wise. Looks like the same lbs and safeties having gap assignments ask. One guy screws up or runs himself out of it and you got problems.

Back
Top Bottom