Random Miami Thoughts After Conference Games | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Random Miami Thoughts After Conference Games

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
No surprise, all four teams represented at the conference title games trotted out quarterbacks who had excellent seasons. Rodgers and Brady are future Hall of Famers, Mahomes is already among the best I've ever seen. Allen's rise since his rookie campaign has been remarkable. But the teams won a little differently, which begs the question. Other than quarterback, if you could have an embarrassing group of riches at one position what would you prefer?

KC featured the best group of skill position talent in football with ultimate mismatches in Hill and Kelce. Buffalo has an offensive line that gives Allen a ton of time to throw. TB has an outstanding group of linebackers with White and David, and a nice group of wide receivers. GB had a pretty good defense this year. I'm not sure they had one dominant unit.

Thoughts on TB/GB
Was the PI call on GB the right call? There's no question it was a penalty, but the officials let the the players play all game and honestly could have called maybe eight plays pass interference throughout the game. Not sure that was a catchable ball either and the timing essentially sealed the win for the Bucs.

Brady played a solid first half, but ended up with three second half interceptions. It got me thinking if a quarterback has ever won a conference championship game with that many. You may have to go back to the mud bowl where David Woodley had three, while Richard Todd had five. Different era, obviously.

No question, GB was outcoached. I don't understand not going for the touchdown at the eight-yard line with just over 2:00 minutes to play. I'm not sure the odds there, but definitely higher with Rodgers. Allowing that touchdown pass at the end of the half was all about bad coaching as well.

KC/Buffalo
I didn't watch the entire game, but whenever I see the Chiefs I want Miami to load up on offense. Their defense isn't special, Buffalo certainly has a better D, but they can score at will. Sometimes it seems like KC likes playing from behind. They are so good that they need to be challenged. I think TB has the edge on defense so maybe it will be a close SB.

What stood out to me was the receiving corps of all four teams. Brady looked flat out awful for parts of that game and still put up almost 300 yds through the air. Allen wasn't a whole lot better.

Its fairly obvious to anyone watching the phins that they need a receiver or two that can create separation off the line and get yards after the catch. Adams, Diggs, Evans, Hill....or I'd happily settle for the second tier guys on all those teams. Gets the shifty types into space and let them go to work.

No surprise, all four teams represented at the conference title games trotted out quarterbacks who had excellent seasons. Rodgers and Brady are future Hall of Famers, Mahomes is already among the best I've ever seen. Allen's rise since his rookie campaign has been remarkable. But the teams won a little differently, which begs the question. Other than quarterback, if you could have an embarrassing group of riches at one position what would you prefer?

KC featured the best group of skill position talent in football with ultimate mismatches in Hill and Kelce. Buffalo has an offensive line that gives Allen a ton of time to throw. TB has an outstanding group of linebackers with White and David, and a nice group of wide receivers. GB had a pretty good defense this year. I'm not sure they had one dominant unit.

Thoughts on TB/GB
Was the PI call on GB the right call? There's no question it was a penalty, but the officials let the the players play all game and honestly could have called maybe eight plays pass interference throughout the game. Not sure that was a catchable ball either and the timing essentially sealed the win for the Bucs.

Brady played a solid first half, but ended up with three second half interceptions. It got me thinking if a quarterback has ever won a conference championship game with that many. You may have to go back to the mud bowl where David Woodley had three, while Richard Todd had five. Different era, obviously.

No question, GB was outcoached. I don't understand not going for the touchdown at the eight-yard line with just over 2:00 minutes to play. I'm not sure the odds there, but definitely higher with Rodgers. Allowing that touchdown pass at the end of the half was all about bad coaching as well.

KC/Buffalo
I didn't watch the entire game, but whenever I see the Chiefs I want Miami to load up on offense. Their defense isn't special, Buffalo certainly has a better D, but they can score at will. Sometimes it seems like KC likes playing from behind. They are so good that they need to be challenged. I think TB has the edge on defense so maybe it will be a close SB.

TBF, KC's secondary blanketed BUF's receivers. The other take-away . . . coaching matters, A LOT

KC has a master schemer in Big Red. Absolutely not surprised they handled BUF. Their defense will show up when needed and their HC will always put their offense in a position to win.

GB was put on notice by Rodgers last night. His HC is a novice with Absolutely NO understanding of Tom Brady or situational awareness at half. Where were the adjustments?

Matt LaFleur is a bum.

Brady is mascarading as the energizer bunny. The guy hasn't met a Super Bowl he didn't like. Still going strong, after all these years.

Andy Reid churns out QB's like I churn out turds in the toilet. Its unbelievable how many QB's he's been associated with that made it to the Super Bowl.

The Brady hype will be in full force these next 2 weeks. The media's Darling is once again the main attraction.

Let's hope Miami has a plan to rise to the upper tiers of the league. Just stay the course and keep building.

KC has three unique talents in Mahomes, Kelsey and Hill. Tough to emulate that but as I said in another thread, Pitts and Najee and Rondale Moore might be a nice compromise.
I may be greedy, but I think it's possible for Miami to get some excellent talent at the skill position and still find a difference maker on the defense. In one offseason.

What stood out to me was the receiving corps of all four teams. Brady looked flat out awful for parts of that game and still put up almost 300 yds through the air. Allen wasn't a whole lot better.

Its fairly obvious to anyone watching the phins that they need a receiver or two that can create separation off the line and get yards after the catch. Adams, Diggs, Evans, Hill....or I'd happily settle for the second tier guys on all those teams. Gets the shifty types into space and let them go to work.
Brady obviously has a lot of trust in his wide receiver unit. Made a couple of bad throws downfield where his receivers bailed him out. To be fair, he made some really good throws as well, to Evans on their first possession and that one right before the half standout.

After yesterday, I dislike Brady even more!!! Why, you ask? Not because in one season he took an average Bucs team to the Super Bowl after so many SBs with the Pats; that's not it. No, the reason I hate him more now is that because of him, Tampa Bay will be the FIRST team to play in a Super Bowl in their home stadium! With so many SBs played in Miami, I wanted the Dolphins to have that honor!

:frown

KC has a master schemer in Big Red. Absolutely not surprised they handled BUF. Their defense will show up when needed and their HC will always put their offense in a position to win.

GB was put on notice by Rodgers last night. His HC is a novice with Absolutely NO understanding of Tom Brady or situational awareness at half. Where were the adjustments?

Matt LaFleur is a bum.
Yeah, he has to look in the mirror when assessing the loss. Have to go for the touchdown at that 2:05 mark and that giveaway touchdown right before the half turned out to be the difference in a close game.

Rodgers should be disappointed. He outplayed Brady by quite a lot and is left at home watching the super bowl.

Absolutely that was the right call. It shouldn’t have took as long as it did. Maybe the ref was having a hard time pulling the flag out his pocket. Back judge make that call. If you let him pull your jersey and take away your separation at the top of the route on the in cut you might as well let him do anything.

penalty

the pack kicking a fg on 4th and goal at the 8 did them in

Matt LaFleur is a bum.
They make it look so easy on offense. I think KC wins the super bowl, but can't dismiss Tampa Bay. That's a talented team.

The super bowl loser historically is in for a down year the year after.

hard to see a what 24 year old Mahomes and kc having a down year more than a 44 then year old tom brady

but it’s hard to bet against Tom too in a super bowl I know that much

Back
Top Bottom