Random Thoughts from afar...I mean Samphin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Random Thoughts from afar...I mean Samphin

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
Watching that "game" last night made me sick for awhile, after the vomiting, I sat down and started to notice a few things.

1: Lucas is terrible. I know that is a blenkt statement and all the blame can't be put on him but EGADS MAN! Our two best options in our recieving corps, McMicheal and Chmbers, have not done anything but stick their thumbs up their butts since Lucas has started. Does Lucas hate these two or what? To put it in persepective, the opposing teams the last two games, have more receptions than our two marquee recievers do combined.

2. One way to solve the Ray Lucas errant pass fiasco is to develop some new plays. When the ball is snapped, have the receivers drop to the ground and lay there, Lucas will always get it in their breadbasket there.

3. Lucas was so inaccurate he actually threw a ball backwards last night? You know how bad you have to be to throw a ball BACKWARDS!

4. Can we cut Cris Carter yet? I was a big opponent of igning this guy and it is already surfacing. Miami fights back from a 1st and 25 to a 3rd and 9. Carter runs a slant, catches the ball for a first, then fumbles it away to the other team. The next shot I see of him is him on the sidelines pleading his case to the other recievers. He then proceeds to be at fault for the first Lucas int. Gadsen would have had that ball tucked away by that time. I saw the look of fear on Carter's face last night. He was probably thinking to himself "Why did I do this? Why am I here?"

5. This will be the final year for this coaching staff. Jim Bates is a bad defensive coordinater. He fianlly balls it up and blitzes a safety on two consecutive plays. Result? 1 sack and another hurry/near int. However, Bates instead of sticking with what was working, switches to and fro to either his vanilla defense, which doesn't work, or linebacker blitzes, which was why the Packers got that touchdown on the screen play. When something works you ride it until they can find a solution you idiot!

Wannstedt, as good as his record has been, it is that good due to the talent not his coaching. This is just my opinion but the defense was built by Jimmy Johnson and will soon be dismantled. The offense was built by Wannstedt who has mortgaged our future by giving out draft picks like a candy at Halloween. The offense was built by Wanny and it stinks like Chicago all over again.

6. Royals was a steal this offseason. I was one person who wanted to resign Turk. I am glad I was wrong on this count. Royals has been stellar dropping punts inside the opponents red zone dang near every time it seems. Kudos to Mark Royals

7. *knock knock* Hi Mrs. Fiedler can little Jay come out and play yet? He seems to be the only one who can knock out this big bully who keeps beating us week after week. The bully's name? Ray Lucas

8. This is pretty long

9. Brett Favre is the man. I hate to suck up here but he is the type of player Miami needs. His mentality is what we need. Someone who reminds me of him is none other than Jay Fiedler.

10. I don't care if Ricky only gets .5 yards per carry. Keep giving him the ball. Down by 30? RUN RICKY! 25 guys in the box? RUN RICKY! We have no passing game so lets just all sing along now RUN RICKY RUN!

11. I am conviced that Surtain is not human. How in the heck did that ball not drop? Unreal concentration. No doubt he is our best defensive back.

Dang they should just let me be the coach
lol

I think ur right on most counts...but i think Carter should have been signed from the start. Gadsden lasted as long as he did which was a complete surprise. Im sure most people had his feet taking him out in the 3rd week or so for a bet. Carters first game since december last year or so??? What did u expect, him to come out and play like he never missed a beat? Surtain isnt human(unfortunately madison does seem to be too human lately) Bates has to go!!! I think we definately need to run ricky, but what we really need is to start using r mcmichael, mcknight and chambers as deep threats to open some space. We havent forced a team to hold off their safeties yet. The more we just run the ball and throw dinky passes the more were goin no where on offense. Bill parcells said it earlier in the season(with fiedler) that he doesnt like our passing game at all. More to the fact our passing game doesnt scare anyone, and with all the guys on our team it really should. Obviously haveing Lucas in aint goin to help either, but we definately gotta wind up and heave a few downfield. Our team is too talented not to do better no matter whos qb.

But the dink and dunk passes work with Fiedler because defenses respect Fiedler and his abilities. That opens the running game up. Lucas had no respect going in and has done nothing to change that. What is worse is that he had open recievers last night but decided to throw it into the ground or like I said, backwards. Teams notice that and say ok so now we just have to key in on Ricky. Fiedler at least proved he could move the ball effectively time after time andscan the whole field now for all recivers. Why else do you think McMicheal had so many catches early. A lot of those came after Fiedler looked off his primary targets only to find McMcmicheal AND Rob Konrad (who has also hasn't contributed as much since Jay went down). That kept the Linebackers and Safeties honest since now we had threats at widouts, tight end, fullback, halfback and Quarterback. Now all we have is Ricky on a depleted line with 8 in the box. This is due to Lucas and to some extent Turner's inability to keep the other team honest.

i'm not knocking gadsden, but come on, i've seen him fumble. remember when he was caught from behind and stripped of the ball in the game at buffalo last year? on that third down play, carter had the ball tucked away, the packers just made a good play there. he wasn't hotdogging and carrying the ball with one hand. he had the ball tucked away. look at the play again.

Everyone fumbles, Gadsen did too I agree. However, Gadsen was also a leader on this team who's presense cannot just be replaced by a name. Also, Carter dropped a ball (albeit a low ball from Lucas) and was at fault for the first int. He then proceed to be showen on camera up in Chamber's face and swearing. Yeah he is just what this team needs right now. I think we should have either shelled out the money for Gadsen or brought in someone younger.

one game isn't enough to tell. nobody younger was available. who is going to replace gadsden? there was only one answer to that question. and it wasn't robert baker. or anyone else on the roster. how do you know what carter and chambers were talking about? do you think he was blaming chambers or others for his own mistakes? i'm sure there are people out there who are positive that is the case, even though they heard nothing. don't make assumptions based on reputation. if wannstedt/spielman had done that, they wouldn't have made the williams trade. as for the drop, gadsden had quite a few drops this season as well, including the first pass thrown in his direction. i was bummed about the injury because he looked like he was finally coming on, but to give him an extension would be foolishness. if he can't perform at a good level there goes all the money you would have needed to replace him. there's a difference between playing hurt and playing with a serious injury, and IMO gadsden didn't have a choice, he had to have surgery.

Actually quite a few younger recievers were available. That is why they brought in 8 or so before Carter. Granted, none have the career numbers that Carter does, but some of them had decent nfl numbers and had at least a possibility of working out and having a future beyond this year.

I did assume Carter was pleading his case as his body language and demeaner seemed to indicate, plus yes his prior reputation does come into play. If a murderer is released from prison, do you treat him the same as joe schmoe who has done nothing wrong? I know it is an extreme comparison but it is a good one :) You are right though, I shoudn't assume, maybe they were talking about how to hold a baby or something.

I never said he was blaming anybody, rather pleading his case by the way, there is a difference.

Also, if one game is too early to tell, well I saw one game of Ray Lucas at qb and i was ocnvinced he wasn't the answer, just as I see Carter being a minimal facotr at best. He is and older guy who has sat out for 3 months. He even said the game was faster than he remembered and he wasn't prepared for that. Also, him being so old, picking up a new offense in new surroundings where he isn't the number 1, 2 or even 3 guy? By the time he gets it going to where he can contirbute it will be week 15. Frankly, I think the fins would have been better without him thn with him.

Alas, this is all opinion, and I thank you for the nice debate dplus. Honestly it is nice to argue with people who can bring some points for the other side, unlike, Jet, Bill, and Bronco's fans. That is why fin fans are the best.

I agree with just about everything except Carter, yeah his debut sucked, but we shouldn't throw the book at him just yet.

As for point 9, was I the only one that thought that Favre's knee did bother him? Well there you go, he beat us on one leg!

Oh and the backward pass... :lol:

I actually agreed with a lot of your points. I also saw Lucas throw nearly every friggin pass to receivers out of the backfield. I almost burst a vessel in my brain screaming at him to "Throw the ball to a receiver!!"

This was the first Dolphins' game I've ever had the opportunity to attend and this is what I get to see??? Wjat a bunch of crap!

You got to see a future Hall of Famer play on one leg. I know the Phins lost, but you should enjoy the GAME for what it is, and someday you'll be able to tell your grandkids, "I watched Brett Favre throw a touchdown pass IN Green Bay"

This season is out of our control, and we can only back our team. Lucas may very well hand the reigns over to Jay and the season could be shot. However just one or two wins here, and Jay can take over in decent shape.

My worry is that Jay will come out rusty, and blow another game in his first start back. :rolleyes:

You never know though.

I don't know but I have a feling that even if Jay is rusty, the rest of the team will be so excited to have him back that they will not lose that game. Just a hunch though.

Back
Top Bottom