Random thoughts on Ricky and our situation...(long) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Random thoughts on Ricky and our situation...(long)

PhinZilla

Practice Squad
Reaction score
First off, let me just say this: You fool!!! Why, WHY NOW days before training camp do you pull this?

In reality, there are two sides to this whole thing. On the one hand, I can respect any man who knows what he wants out of life, to make a decision like this, despite what is expected of him, as long as it jives with her own personal needs and desires, regardless of what others may think of him. THAT being said, on the other hand, FROM THE TEAM PERSPECTIVE, and being a fan of said team, how in the HELL can he be so selfish and irresponsible as this?

This team spent 3/4 of the moves in the offseason constructing an entire offense better suited to prolong his career and engorge his productivity, not to mention his value. OL were signed and drafted, David Boston, AJ Feeley, were all picked up to make life easier for the engine that drove the car. And now, that engine has been removed. WTF, Ricky? It's not so much his decision to retire, it's his TIMING that irks the sh@t out of me.

I know, I know, one man does not make a team by any means. There is still plenty of talent left, we aren't exactly the Cardinals or the Browns you know! If there is a blessing from all this, it has to be that Wannstedt has no way of NOT opening up the offense now...he HAS to, he no longer has the running game he could sit back on for the last 2 years. We obviously have as much talent as just about anyone in the league, we just need to utilize it. I'm sure Chambers, Boston, and hopefully McMichael are all licking their chops and saying "Just get someone that can get me the ball...and we'll do the rest." I sure hope so.

Our future at RB. Is Travis Minor the answer? Probably not, but then again, who knows? He could be the next Warrick Dunn or Marshall Faulk, he just needs his shot. I think he is capable of making plays, I just don't know about an every-down type back. What would I like to see happen? Get a complement to Minor, someone to spell Minor on third downs or vice versa. I've heard a lot of names tossed around as possible trade bait or free agents such as Edge James (next yr), William Green, Fred Taylor, Anthony Thomas, one of Minnesota's RBs, or one of Denver's RBs. I don't really like any of those with the exception of Anthony Thomas (similar in style to RW), and Fred Taylor. I know Taylor has been hurt in the recent past, but he has put together two 1200+ yard seasons the last 2 years on a sorry J'ville team, so he could be useful, at least for another 3 or 4 years until we can find a youthful pickup. Or, we could trade Ogunleye (if they dont sign him with Ricky's money now) for a #1 pick and get a good RB in next year's draft. (Cedric Benson - UT comes to mind!) In a perfect world, Minor will come right in a be a threat and we could sign a bruiser (Stacey Mack?) to complement him, but who knows?

Well, that's all I really have to say about that. I am totally shocked at this and just taken aback. I never expected it to end like this. Oh well - your thoughts???

I'm still in shock, not the time to assess what we can do without Ricky yet.

I'm angry at him - but he's right in his interview that it's reasons that it affects me and not him that make me angry. I think he probably was less effective last year partly because of motivational issues (though the line have rightly received a fair apportionment of blame). So had he quit early in the offseason so we knew we needed to strengthen the backfield while it was still possible to do so with premium quality players I'd be comfortable. But right now, he's dismasted the Dolphins yatch.

If I'm Junior Seau I'm thinking how could he do this to me. This is my last year and I want my ring. Others may have the same view and want to tear him a new one, so no wonder he announced it in Hawaii en route to Japan, rather than on South Beach.

I was already less than optomistic with the line yet to prove itself and a new QB yet to light it up. The one thing I thought I could rely on is the running game not meving backwards.

For those who wanted Wanny gone, this may have happened even if he was gone, but it gives him yet another excuse for not being in the playoffs. Two more years of Wanny people, at least, that's what this means. I'm not in that camp myself, never managed to fully blame him for last season's failures. If he coaches us to 10-6 this season I would call it a miracle. If he coaches this team without Ricky Williams to the playoffs he'll deserve a new five year contract. But this ends any idea I might have cautiously but fondly harboured of being in the Superbowl this year.

Enjoy your travels Ricky. Be happy. Find the truth. And when you make it to Europe on your travels, buy me a few beers to compensate me for the watered down ones I wept into over the weekend.

I agree that Ricky has every right to retire. What bothers me also is the timing and the attitude. He stated that it was only about him and that he has every right to do anything he wants. Well thats not even true it you are two years old, although it would be an attitude of someone that age. Adults relalize two basic things dont allow us to do anything we want. They are law and social responsibilty. You cant just steal anything you want or spit in other peoples faces because it hurts others. You cant just put yourself above the interest of all others. Adults need to have responsibilty. Ricky is an adult even if he doesn't realize it. If he truly feels that he can do whatever he wants he is not only selfish but ignorant. If he told the team at the end of last year he was going to retire I would be disapointed but would give him uptmost respect and wish him well. To abandon his second family, the same family that was there for him when he needed help, both financial and emotional, is horrible. I hope you come to your senses Rick and see another perspective. If not I certainly have gained a new perspective on you.

Back
Top Bottom