Random Thoughts With Six Games to Play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Random Thoughts With Six Games to Play

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are some thoughts I have with the season starting to wind down.

1. I like how Fitzpatrick has competed at quarterback, especially considering Miami can't run the ball or protect very well. That said, I think Rosen needs to play down the stretch. Maybe that's the last four games, but he needs to start soon so that a better evaluation can be made about his future.
2. Find ways to get Grant the ball. I liked the wild cat play where Grant was used in the backfield. With his talent and big play ability, the coaching staff needs to find more ways to get the ball in his hands. Perhaps some reverses, runs, more balls thrown his way --- a combination of all of those.
3. Laird should get more chances at running back, especially with Walton now cut. I am not a fan of Ballage at all.
4. Free agency --- with the coaching staff making strides I feel better about free agents possibly picking Miami. I know everyone says it comes down to money, but that's really just part of the equation. The fact that the team is competing despite a talent disparity has to be good news for free agency.
5. I really want a multi-dimensional quarterback in the draft. Looking at all the big plays in the NFL so many are "off schedule" type plays where athletic quarterbacks either get chunk plays with their legs or avoid the rush and find receivers open deep down the field. Despite his injury, I still think Tua is in play depending on his rehab.

These last six games will be a good test for how well the coaching staff can continue to mold together, a cohesive secondary unit, especially now with more personnel changes having occured with McCain and Jones going on IR. This has been IMO the best trait of this new coaching staff. They've somehow figured out how to put together a group of street F/A's and UDFA and make it work. I'm also, excited to see how Parker, Hurns, Gesicki and Grant finish out the year. They have been a revelation. Since the bye week, they've all made plays and look to be developing into viable pieces. As for Grant, he finally looks healthy.

1. I like how Fitzpatrick has competed at quarterback, especially considering Miami can't run the ball or protect very well. That said, I think Rosen needs to play down the stretch. Maybe that's the last four games, but he needs to start soon so that a better evaluation can be made about his future.
2. Find ways to get Grant the ball. I liked the wild cat play where Grant was used in the backfield. With his talent and big play ability, the coaching staff needs to find more ways to get the ball in his hands. Perhaps some reverses, runs, more balls thrown his way --- a combination of all of those.
3. Laird should get more chances at running back, especially with Walton now cut. I am not a fan of Ballage at all.
4. Free agency --- with the coaching staff making strides I feel better about free agents possibly picking Miami. I know everyone says it comes down to money, but that's really just part of the equation. The fact that the team is competing despite a talent disparity has to be good news for free agency.
5. I really want a multi-dimensional quarterback in the draft. Looking at all the big plays in the NFL so many are "off schedule" type plays where athletic quarterbacks either get chunk plays with their legs or avoid the rush and find receivers open deep down the field. Despite his injury, I still think Tua is in play depending on his rehab.
Not a bad breakdown at all.

I like a QB that has the ability to make something out of nothing, as well, but it's not a deal breaker if he doesn't have 4.6 speed. More importantly, he has to be able to "feel" the pocket, and move within it.

The reality is, if your plays are consistently breaking down, there are other issues to address. Either the plays are ill conceived, or players are not executing their assignments.

Obviously, broken plays occur, but not regularly on good, fundamentally sound units.

Can't disagree much with what you said. We really do need to see what we have in Rosen, we know what a solid capable back up we have in Fitz, can Rosen be that or better ? We have no idea right now, gotta find out.

Tua is still my guy too, that ability to extend plays, his intangibles and his accuracy are something that screams of a generational QB prospect, obviously this hip injury is a concern, up to the FO to do their research and do what they feel is best, just hope they don't err on the side of caution at the expense of missing out on a difference maker.

Oh, Royal, don't get me into it, man. Who was more bada$$ than our own Dan with 1 single step up in the pocket?
Biased here possibly, but best feet ever. Contributed just as much to his low sack rate as his release. That clip from the ‘94 KC playoff game is sick and Mahomes esq

1 a) RF not having a 'bad' RF game - hope I don't jinx him
2 a) What's wrong with sending Grant on a post or fly 2-3 times a game?
3 a) Laird and Gaskin - can't be worse
4 a) agree
5 a) As others have said, ability to avoid the rush. Doesn't have to be Mahimes

6 A lot fewer 'big' holes that I thought after game 4
7 'tank' is dead
8 At some point, settle on an OL and stick to it. Yes, I know about injuries
9 Quite a few guys who show promise, Will they grow by next fall?
10 To date, Flo is the first 'real HC' fans have seen in years.
11 pass rush in of-season is critical

I really like the "structure" of everything you've said here and I agree with the majority of it.
I would add that if Flores and Co truly believe in the Patriots way of players playing then Rosen doesn't play for the rest of the year.
They truely seem to have a "general" phiolosphy that you have to "earn" you're playing time.
We've all heard the stories about Bellichect and Co. quizzing players on the most random things.

If something similiar exist then Rosen likely isn't seeing the field. Essentially he has to "know more" or "do more" or at the very least "be on the same footing" as Fitz.

Point being, I don't see them just giving him a start. He has to earn it!

As for Rosen starting earlier in the season, that has upper management written all over it and not some Flores wanted.

Agree with most of what you said here.
As far as getting Grant the ball, you listed a few things that could help and I agree with those. The hardest thing to do with Grant tho is throwing him the ball. He's a small target and he doesn't have good hands so all the other stuff would be the way to go for the most part.

As far as Tua. Well like you said, a lot depends on his rehab but I'm not gonna cry if we take a different QB as there are plenty of concerns with Tua and they're legit imo.

Back
Top Bottom