Random Thoughts With Six Games to Play | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Random Thoughts With Six Games to Play

XACTLY!!! I think it's safe to say an entire NFL team's staff is more 'expert' than an individual fan, yet the failed to see Prescott and Wilson. Not just 'team' experts, but all those media outlets with their 'expert' staff. Those experts were high on Trubisky and the top 4 QBs in the 2018 draft class. For all the grief Miami (justifiably) got for the Dion Jordan, he was a top 6 pick by many.

As far as next year, fans have only this year to evaluate what's on hand. Flo and staff have shown an ability to get more out of a team than the talent shows and, for the 1st time this century, seem able to coach up players. Some players have shown glimpses of success. But all that is 'promising' - no guarantee. Which leads me to a random thought. FLo and staff seem to have found some gems and seem able to get players to perform to potential. Whether fans like it or not, they will make the draft picks, BUT, at least they show an ability to recognize talent.
You hit on a key component that has been missing in Miami for going on two decades- good coaching.

Whose to say Brady isn't out of the league in three years if drafted by Cleveland? Maybe Tim Couch is a Hall of Famer with a Bellichick type coach.

The top quarterbacks tend to be with the best coaches.

Jury still out on Flores, but seems to be getting a lot out of little talent, which you mentioned.

Marino did have to play against a guy named Bruce Smith. I classify him as a freak athlete.

Kinda unfair. Marino wouldn't be considered elusive in 2019. He played at a time when DTs were all 350lbs+ and just run-stuffed and DEs were not freak athletes like Aaron Donald, Montez Sweat, or Charles Harris....okay maybe just the first two.

You hit on a key component that has been missing in Miami for going on two decades- good coaching.

Whose to say Brady isn't out of the league in three years if drafted by Cleveland? Maybe Tim Couch is a Hall of Famer with a Bellichick type coach.

The top quarterbacks tend to be with the best coaches.

Jury still out on Flores, but seems to be getting a lot out of little talent, which you mentioned.
^^^THIS^^^

How many teams that have, purportedly, been loaded with talent, failed to live up to expectations? It seems like every year we hear "this is the year" for so and so team.

Even established (that doesn't always mean good) staffs often have trouble making it work.

Regardless of the talent level, teaching, sheme and game planning are critical to success.

Marino did have to play against a guy named Bruce Smith. I classify him as a freak athlete.
There were many dominant defensive players in that era. Guys like Smith, Reggie White, etc would be just as fearsome today.

You also have to consider, defensive players could flat out destroy a QB, without drawing a flag. A lot of today's QBs might be just a tad more skiddish in the pocket, if they played under those conditions.

^^^THIS^^^

How many teams that have, purportedly, been loaded with talent, failed to live up to expectations? It seems like every year we hear "this is the year" for so and so team.

Even established (that doesn't always mean good) staffs often have trouble making it work.

Regardless of the talent level, teaching, sheme and game planning are critical to success.
Dallas as a current example. A team that should be at least 8-3 based entirely on talent.

For me

1. Play competitively every game all the way out for 4 Quarters and play hard.
2. Your 2-8. Don't play conservative football. Take risks. There is nothing to lose. Play with fire.
3. Try to get the running game going by running exotic formations and feed it to your playmakers with speed. Ala Gase with Grant and Wilson.
4. Have your WR's do more curls, slants, comebacks, and short outs at around 7 yards to 15 yards. Quickness and shorter routes will be better for our struggling OL. As Fitz arm is wilting shorter routes gets ball out quicker an into space. We need to see some exotic play-calling from O'Shea.
5. For the next 6 weeks play the same rotation of 5 guys on the OL play physical and same 3 on DL to evaluate all positions upfront and see who will stick for 2020.
6. Front 7 needs to be more physical and dominate the line of scrimmage push the OL back into QB or RB's for losses . Blitz more! Show different looks an attack at all angles.
7. Watch the coaching staff closely to see what they come up with during these next 6. Time Management, Adjustments, Preparedness, Etc.
8. Let Joshua Rosen play when we are officially eliminated (that may be tomorrow). JMHO I want him to be our starter next year and we wait for Lawrence. Because we are not taking a QB early that's for sure unless we get Burrow, or Herbert. Tua is injury prone now and he maybe a later round pick. I don't think he comes out. You heal up play if you can your senior year and wait till 2021.
9. Beat as many as you can coming up Browns, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Bengals and Patriots. Get to 4-12 or 5-11
10. Most of all, we have 14 picks 7 of them better *ucking hit and better be good to goddamn great within 3 years. We have $hitload of money get the OL, DL, RB, and Secondary squared away in FA. Because 2019 was nothing compared to 2020 schedule and beyond. We will be lucky to win 3-5 yet again next year.

Here is our gauntlet for the next 3 years.

2020 (1 Home game is in London)

Please football gods help this franchise be good in 3 to a Super Contender in 4 years!!! GO DOLPHINS!!!

Last edited:
Here are some thoughts I have with the season starting to wind down.

1. I like how Fitzpatrick has competed at quarterback, especially considering Miami can't run the ball or protect very well. That said, I think Rosen needs to play down the stretch. Maybe that's the last four games, but he needs to start soon so that a better evaluation can be made about his future.
2. Find ways to get Grant the ball. I liked the wild cat play where Grant was used in the backfield. With his talent and big play ability, the coaching staff needs to find more ways to get the ball in his hands. Perhaps some reverses, runs, more balls thrown his way --- a combination of all of those.
3. Laird should get more chances at running back, especially with Walton now cut. I am not a fan of Ballage at all.
4. Free agency --- with the coaching staff making strides I feel better about free agents possibly picking Miami. I know everyone says it comes down to money, but that's really just part of the equation. The fact that the team is competing despite a talent disparity has to be good news for free agency.
5. I really want a multi-dimensional quarterback in the draft. Looking at all the big plays in the NFL so many are "off schedule" type plays where athletic quarterbacks either get chunk plays with their legs or avoid the rush and find receivers open deep down the field. Despite his injury, I still think Tua is in play depending on his rehab.

It was a pleasure to read a well thought out opinion with reasonable support for those opinions, as opposed to the hyperbole that has run rampant on this forum this season.

My position on Tua, is that I would not consider him unless he can play one more year of College Football with out any recurring damage to the hip or upper leg bone.

I don't feel there is a good enough reason to take a chance on how well Tua has healed while there are other, undamaged QB's available in the 2020 draft and there might be an opportunity to consider him in the 2021 draft. If he isn't available for the 2021 draft, then we know we have dodged a bullet.

We have too many positional team needs to allow us to use our higher round draft picks on players with potential physical problems that have a serious potential for reoccurrence when there are more physically fit players available; and I do not mean just QB's. I will leave qualifying the QB's in the draft to the coaching staff.

My preference for getting a QB is more focused on the draft process and when we ought to look. I would like to see the FO get a QB in the first round, if one is available who satisfies the coaches, other wise get a second or third round QB .

I would not mind seeing another QB selected later in this draft. This would occur in a late round or could be a UDFA, if there are any that look promising to the coaches.

It was a pleasure to read a well thought out opinion with reasonable support for those opinions, as opposed to the hyperbole that has run rampant on this forum this season.

My position on Tua, is that I would not consider him unless he can play one more year of College Football with out any recurring damage to the hip or upper leg bone.

I don't feel there is a good enough reason to take a chance on how well Tua has healed while there are other, undamaged QB's available in the 2020 draft and there might be an opportunity to consider him in the 2021 draft. If he isn't available for the 2021 draft, then we know we have dodged a bullet.

We have too many positional team needs to allow us to use our higher round draft picks on players with potential physical problems that have a serious potential for reoccurrence when there are more physically fit players available; and I do not mean just QB's. I will leave qualifying the QB's in the draft to the coaching staff.

My preference for getting a QB is more focused on the draft process and when we ought to look. I would like to see the FO get a QB in the first round, if one is available who satisfies the coaches, other wise get a second or third round QB .

I would not mind seeing another QB selected later in this draft. This would occur in a late round or could be a UDFA, if there are any that look promising to the coaches.
No doubt that will be the most interesting addition of the offseason. Who do the Dolphins take at quarterback? For all we know, the team switches gears a little bit.

You make good points on Tua. A lot to consider there.

Back
Top Bottom