Randy Moss or Curtis Martin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Moss or Curtis Martin

mario88vega

Starter
Reaction score
instant impact, and long term impact.........

What player in the draft would have the biggest impact on our team this year, and for years to come?

given Linehan's system , Linehan has used RB by commitee in the past and doesnt really require a super stud RB, since A.J has'nt really gotten a fair shot, and we have Gus who is very familiar, and did a good job with the Viks,i think we pass on QB, i think that if Saban, and Linehan believe that one of these top receivers can have an impact close to what Moss had in Minny, that we will be taking a receiver in the first round, and a RB later on whether it be via a trade down, or via Surtain trade. I mean imagine M. Williams, or Edwards, along with Chambers, and the rest of our offense, it will open up so much that we wont need a Super star RB to get the job done, look at it this way would you rather have Randy Moss or a sane, and sober Ricky Williams?

We kinda used RB by committee and that didn't work out so well. No O-coordinator would ever squander a player with Ricky's talent. Gus did well under a good line. Without it, he'll end up with similar stats to his Cincy and Washington days. Also keep in mind Frerotte only did well against SF and Atlanta while with the Vikes, both had horrendous pass defenses. I'd rather see us draft a QB because seeing Feeley-Frerotte duel makes me shudder and neither is a franchise QB like Culpepper.

Id rather have a sane Ricky Williams then Moss. I also think the RB by committee in Minnesota is WAY overblown. They kept drafting backs to find a stud to be the guy imo. They used a committee approach because there starters kept getting injured/suspended and because they kept drafting guys as insurance since they knew Bennett couldnt stay healthy a committee developed when everyone was in the lineup. I dont think a committee approach was Linehans plan, it developed because they couldnt trust any 1 of there RBs without insurance on the roster behind him.

Imagine all those good receivers and NO quarterback to throw them the ball...what good is Chambers, and possibly Braylon Edwards if the QB cannot hit them on their routes...it is like having a Rolls Royce and Ferrari with no engine.
:shakeno:

Randy Moss is not a fair player to use for a comparison. He is the 1st or 2nd best reciever in the NFL. Between Ricky or Randy I would go Randy, but between like a Eric Moulds, Hines Ward, or a Chad Johnson, I would take ricky.

Minnesotas rush attack was packed with unbalanced talent levels. Bennett had speed, could duke guys but had problems with injuries and never really took the next step. Moe Williams was a designed power back, a hit-through-the-hole guy who really didn't pan out and has only pushed the numbers on a few occassions. Onterrio Smith has the most talent on their roster and Linehan used him as more of an all-purpose, all-potential type of player...until Mewelde Moore came along. 'M2' never really would have gotten a chance if it wasn't for injuries. He showed he had great hands and was quick, but his size was a detriment.

A sound conclusion of vast reasoning would really state that Linehan had a lot of talent in Minnesota with the run but it was misguided, spread amongst a range of different players. It was more beneficial to him to run a 4-back, or what he had at the table then just a one man run game.

People talk about Ronnie being a "back-up" in college and not being able to carry a full running attack. I really look at it the other way -- Cadillac won't be able to carry the whole load. At the competitive level, you get beat up. Caddy and Ronnie will both take punishment but with Ronnie - size, strength and stamina, our team can achieve more than any other back would allow us to do.

In conclusion, I'd take Ronnie over any RB or WR. Braylon is nice but WR tends to be one of the more prettier positions. WR is more of a two-way deal with the QB and I don't think we need to risk on a tandem package with uncertainty and lack of sure depth in the tailbacks whilst more depth in the receiving core.

HysterikiLL said:
Minnesotas rush attack was packed with unbalanced talent levels. Bennett had speed, could duke guys but had problems with injuries and never really took the next step. Moe Williams was a designed power back, a hit-through-the-hole guy who really didn't pan out and has only pushed the numbers on a few occassions. Onterrio Smith has the most talent on their roster and Linehan used him as more of an all-purpose, all-potential type of player...until Mewelde Moore came along. 'M2' never really would have gotten a chance if it wasn't for injuries. He showed he had great hands and was quick, but his size was a detriment.

A sound conclusion of vast reasoning would really state that Linehan had a lot of talent in Minnesota with the run but it was misguided, spread amongst a range of different players. It was more beneficial to him to run a 4-back, or what he had at the table then just a one man run game.

People talk about Ronnie being a "back-up" in college and not being able to carry a full running attack. I really look at it the other way -- Cadillac won't be able to carry the whole load. At the competitive level, you get beat up. Caddy and Ronnie will both take punishment but with Ronnie - size, strength and stamina, our team can achieve more than any other back would allow us to do.

In conclusion, I'd take Ronnie over any RB or WR. Braylon is nice but WR tends to be one of the more prettier positions. WR is more of a two-way deal with the QB and I don't think we need to risk on a tandem package with uncertainty and lack of sure depth in the tailbacks whilst more depth in the receiving core.

great post :D

None of the WRs in this draft are even close to Moss. Randy Moss is arguably the most talented WR ever and if he wasn't such a headcase he would probably be the best ever. Edwards and Williams will probably be good, but not Moss good. A player like that only comes along once a generation. If that. But if the question is would you rather a great WR or a great RB I would say neither, it would be a great QB.

Regan21286 said:
We kinda used RB by committee and that didn't work out so well. No O-coordinator would ever squander a player with Ricky's talent. Gus did well under a good line. Without it, he'll end up with similar stats to his Cincy and Washington days. Also keep in mind Frerotte only did well against SF and Atlanta while with the Vikes, both had horrendous pass defenses. I'd rather see us draft a QB because seeing Feeley-Frerotte duel makes me shudder and neither is a franchise QB like Culpepper.

Wait, wait...we kinda used RB-by-committee ?? We had no RB last year, just a couple of scrubs (Minor/Morris) and no OL...that is a bad assessment comparing what happened last year as an answer to our RB woes of last year to this year. Linehan has utilized the RB-by-committee for several years in Minny, albeit mostly due to necessity (they seem to have a plethera of ok RBs, their one potential star RB (Bennett) seemed to always be injured so they were forced into it). But it was successful for Linehan, so the idea of going into the season with Gordon, Morris and a 3rd round draft choice is not too far fetched. I've said before, that we could pick up an Arrington, Morency, Barber, or Moats and have a compliment that would do. Yes, even RW could be part of that, but there is a lot of IFs for that to actually happen.

The real question is what does Saban do with the 2nd pick...I think, like many that he may chance that he can get a guy in the 3rd and perhaps even be thinking of RW coming back and go for WR in the 1st round. If we get other picks (for Surtain or trade down or both), then he would most likely go D with the first pick (assuming it is below the #6 pick) and get a RB later...could be an interesting day one draft for Fins fans...

mario88vega said:
What player in the draft would have the biggest impact on our team this year, and for years to come?

given Linehan's system , Linehan has used RB by commitee in the past and doesnt really require a super stud RB, since A.J has'nt really gotten a fair shot, and we have Gus who is very familiar, and did a good job with the Viks,i think we pass on QB, i think that if Saban, and Linehan believe that one of these top receivers can have an impact close to what Moss had in Minny, that we will be taking a receiver in the first round, and a RB later on whether it be via a trade down, or via Surtain trade. I mean imagine M. Williams, or Edwards, along with Chambers, and the rest of our offense, it will open up so much that we wont need a Super star RB to get the job done, look at it this way would you rather have Randy Moss or a sane, and sober Ricky Williams?

One thing to remember is the Vikings won nothing with that offense, in fact they wanted to get a bigger running back to carry the load this year even if Linehan came back. So I would have to say RB!!

Lineman used what he was offered in Minny, I think he only coached there for 2 or 3 years. I still like Ronnie Brown in the 1st and Courtney Roby in the 3rd or 4th. Then we gwt a great RB and a super-speedy WR.

Back
Top Bottom