Randy Starks Holdout | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Starks Holdout

This is so true............

Honestly, it is hard to get behind Starks on this one. $8.5 million for one year is too much to gain the support of the average NFL fan. No one wants to see him hold out and possibly hurt his team, especially after they have put in so much work during the offseason to be competitive in 2013. Starks needs to show up and play out this year. At $8.5 million it just makes no sense not to
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...miami-dolphins-all-wrong/?GdIKBwAE6imYPC6D.99

He can hold out all he wants hes a vet he will be fine missing the time.... JO is now getting plenty of snaps at DT ready to replace starks next season

Just show up and work hard for the team and everything will take care of itself. 3 yr 18 million each should hopefully lock him and Soliai up!!!

Guys on the franchise tag fail to participate in voluntary activities probably at least 50 percent of the time. It's a business decision. No player wants to play on the franchise tag and risk taking an injury that permanently damages his ability to earn money for the remainder of his career. Doing this is a way for a player to step up and say you can walk away from our long term contract negotiations and compel me to play for you for a year under the franchise tag, because the CBA grants you that ability, but the CBA also grants me the ability to make that an unpleasant experience for you to some extent. Actions have consequences. The Dolphins walked away from long term contract negotiations and slapped the franchise tag on Starks. That action has consequences, no matter how selfish fans want to be about it.

ehh he won't miss much time once they start fining him if he doesn't report...non issue to me...he's not giving up checks

Guys on the franchise tag fail to participate in voluntary activities probably at least 50 percent of the time. It's a business decision. No player wants to play on the franchise tag and risk taking an injury that permanently damages his ability to earn money for the remainder of his career. Doing this is a way for a player to step up and say you can walk away from our long term contract negotiations and compel me to play for you for a year under the franchise tag, because the CBA grants you that ability, but the CBA also grants me the ability to make that an unpleasant experience for you to some extent. Actions have consequences. The Dolphins walked away from long term contract negotiations and slapped the franchise tag on Starks. That action has consequences, no matter how selfish fans want to be about it.

This is all people need to read.

The other aspect that should be touched on is with only a one year franchise tag on him, Randy Starks takes a risk every time he steps on that practice field. If he took the kind of Achilles injury that Michael Crabtree just took in San Francisco during OTAs, then he could lose tens of millions of dollars on his career earnings, and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

The other aspect that should be touched on is with only a one year franchise tag on him, Randy Starks takes a risk every time he steps on that practice field. If he took the kind of Achilles injury that Michael Crabtree just took in San Francisco during OTAs, then he could lose tens of millions of dollars on his career earnings, and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Hard to feel sorry for him when he is being paid 8.5 million, you make it sound like poor Randy has to play the season on the vet minimum

+1

This isn't a game for most of these guys, its their job. High profile players such don't have to worry as much about this with their giant contracts and potential future as an analyst after their career ends and yet most of them go with a similar route that Randy is taking. Randy most likely has zero future as an NFL analyst or announcer, so this is it for him... once these few years are over --- his career of making big time money as an athlete is OVER, for the rest of his life. I have no issue whenever a player holds out for money, this is their job, and their future... one of the most intriguing interplays to me is between the dichotomy of getting whats yours financially vs building a team in order to win a championship - its fascinating to me

i read somewhere that he plans to be here for any mandatory practice. it would be nice to have 100% participation for the voluntary activities, but he will be fine with minicamp and training camp.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

this should not be called a "holdout." you can't hold out from voluntary activities.

Hard to feel sorry for him when he is being paid 8.5 million, you make it sound like poor Randy has to play the season on the vet minimum

I'm not asking for you to feel sorry for him at all. If that's the feeling you get then I think you've missed the point. My preference would be for you to REMOVE emotion from the issue, not insert more. This is a business decision. And it's his right to make it.

again he's not gonna miss any real time...i'm sure his agent knows and he knows that in the market we just had in 2013 free agency he would have had a hard time commanding $8.5 mil per year on a long term pact

there's no harm in what starks is doing either...it's part of the game...the team shouldn't take it as a slap in the face either...come week 1 barring injury he'll be there...that much you can count on

now will he be here in 2014??? i'd say those odds are less than 50/50...solia would be my priority as i expect dion jordan to bringing much more pass rush on the edge by then and picking up some of the slack

I'm not asking for you to feel sorry for him at all. If that's the feeling you get then I think you've missed the point. My preference would be for you to REMOVE emotion from the issue, not insert more. This is a business decision. And it's his right to make it.

I dont have any emotion about the situation at all. I really dont care about Starks missing some OTAs. He is a pro bowl DT and a professional, he will turn up for camp next week, he will be healthy and fit. He should produce well this season and may earn a new contract, is not his replacment is currently working at DT in his absense.

No emotion either way, Starks missing OTAs should be a complete non issue.

Back
Top Bottom