Rank Miami's Last 10 First Rd Picks... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Miami's Last 10 First Rd Picks...

Charles Harris was with Miami for 3 seasons, Dion Jordan for 4. The difference was that Jordan was suspended all the time that he didn't play many games for Miami.
I remember one special teams play for DJ as a rookie. That was his sole highlight play....lol

Tanne is the same player as when he left, what changed is he is now paired with a the best RB in the game and a top 5 receiver.
as for your logic in regards to a starting QB automatically justifying being worth a first round pick, here are guys that started the season as their teams QB1. let me know which of these you would draft in the first round;
Carson Wentz (or Jalen Hurts)
Jared Goff
Jimmy Garapolo
Kirk Cousins
Cam Newton
Derek Carr
Sam Darnold
Daniel Jones
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgewater
Gardner Minsehew
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Tyrod Taylor
Mitchell Tribusiky
Dwayne Haskins
thats 15/32 starting Qbs in week 1

That's a very valid point so touche - that said all those teams are in QB controversies outside of the Giants, the vikings and raiders....and none have been a starting QB in the nfl for 8 years outside Cousins....so longevity matters in deciding if he was worth a 1st rd pick.

That's a very valid point so touche - that said all those teams are in QB controversies outside of the Giants, the vikings and raiders....and none have been a starting QB in the nfl for 8 years outside Cousins....so longevity matters in deciding if he was worth a 1st rd pick.
yes thats my point though. I left off guys like River, Ryan , and big ben because while they wouldn't be worth a first rounder now, there careers are more than validated.

Dunno, Fitzpatrick had one underwhelming season as a fin. We are only supposed to be rating his time and effect on our team not what he did with the Steelers.
We got a first round pick for him in return, so whatever that pick turns into

Judging the pick itself (as opposed to just the player or the player's time in Miami) I would say:
1. Laremy Tunsil - good value pick at a position of need. Good job ignoring the silly concerns over his gas mask video. Didn't quite live up to his hype but still a very good tackle.
2. Mike Pouncey - not many better players could've been taken. Not ideal to take a center so high and his health issues hurt his value a bit but overall a good pick.
3. Minkah Fitzpatrick - a solid pick at a position of need at the time. However, I remember there were offers to trade down and there were about four or five better players taken in the mid/late first. I don't think the failure of the coaching staffs to use him correctly affects the quality of the pick itself.
4. Devante Parker - only a few players I could see as realistic, better, alternatives. He took a while to develop due to his health issues and those issues still plague him and prevent him from living up to his talent level. But when healthy, and after gaining more confidence, he is a dominant player.
5. Ryan Tannehill - a couple all-pros could've been taken instead and he never reached a level where he performed to his potential on a consistent level. I don't think it's fair to blame his later injury problems on him/his value as a player, the FOs at the time did a poor job of protecting him and allowing him to run when things broke down.
6. Christian Wilkins - tougher to judge this one since it is more recent. Not a bad player but hasn't lived up to his pick yet. Then again, doesn't look like this draft is impressing anyone yet.
7. Juwan James - a major reach pick as a result of the prior year's blunder. Could be argued a necessary reach, but probably could've taken him later. A few great players passed on but not a ton. Would've been much better to have Lane Johnson and then Dee Ford rather than Dion Jordan and Juwan James.
8. Jared Odrick - over a dozen pro-bowlers could've been taken instead. Some even after the trade down. While not a horrible player, it was a horrible pick.
9. Charles Harris - bust with several pro bowl players that could've, and should've been taken instead. Even other busts after this selection were better picks.
10. Dion Jordan - major bust we traded UP to get, and passed on a much needed offensive tackle to protect your new QB, and a decent number of solid players were available in this draft.

Last edited:
Three pro bowl players in Pouncey, Tunsil, and Fitzpatrick. Parker took several years to finally develop and his numerous injuries continue to prevent him from being considered in the top echelon of WR’s in the league. He has been a slightly above average WR in my opinion. Wilkins so far has been good but not great.

The complete busts were Harris and Jordan. Odrick and James were very average players and that is why neither one of them were signed to a second contract by the Dolphins. They were both 3rd round players in ability who were unfortunately drafted far too high by the Dolphins.

Tannehill was a first round pick strictly on potential. He never developed while he was a member of the Dolphins and it was best for him and the Dolphins that he was traded when he was. With better offensive talent around him, including the best running back in the NFL and a top tier offensive line, Tannehill has developed into a capable starting QB for the Titans.

Overall I would give the front office a D plus for their first round selects over the last ten. Especially since the best selections they have made in recent years, Fitzpatrick and Tunsil became pro bowl caliber players once they were traded by the Dolphins.

Last edited:
before the 2020 draft. Based solely on their careers with Miami only. 1st being the best, 10th being the worst.

Excellent way to keep things in perspective @Dolph N.Fan , thanks for this thread!

1. Ryan Tannehill - decent QB who blossomed when he moved away from the putrid Dolphins OL into a productive QB.
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick - young player who is already a consistent Pro-Bowl FS, but we developed wrong and lost him because of mismanagement
3. Laremy Tunsil - the most profitable draft pick we've had, undervalued because of the draft day thing, but wow what a return he gave. Possibly the most talented guy on this list, but production has been very hit and miss.
4. DeVante Parker - debatable, but he _finally_ has stayed healthy and proven his immense talent. Most Dolphins picks look good early and suck late, but he looks good late, so the board polarizes.
5. Christian Wilkins - legitimate argument to rank him higher, but in reality he has only been solid, and that's a disappointment from where he was drafted.
6. Jared Odrick - this is where the list gets ugly fast. I wanted to stand pat on the pick and draft Earl Thomas ... we didn't do that. But when we traded back we got an extra pick, that I wanted to use to select Rob Gronkowski, but instead we drafted Koa Misi. Maybe I'm just too jaded to appreciate him, but he was about 3 or 4 years of a solid player and disappeared once he left us.
7. Mike Pouncey - He was a good player who had unending health issues and was grossly overpaid while rarely playing. But the reality is that he WAS a good player, and if he could have stayed healthy, he might have been considerably higher up this list. Case of injuries ruining a promising career.
8. Ja'Wuan James - Inconsistent, injured almost every year, and the least-bad on a team full of horrible OL. Somehow fooled much of the league into thinking he had potential and decent production ... but he never was a decent player and he always had average potential. Simply a bad pick that some people love to defend for unknown reasons.
9. Charles Harris - This is where the list drops off the deep end, because Charles Harris was our first bona fide bust. Clear cut. Good person, not an NFL player, IMHO.
10. Dion Jordan - BUST.

Reasonable minds may differ, but no matter how you rank the top 8, the bottom two are in a putrid category all to themselves.

Excellent way to keep things in perspective @Dolph N.Fan , thanks for this thread!

1. Ryan Tannehill - decent QB who blossomed when he moved away from the putrid Dolphins OL into a productive QB.
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick - young player who is already a consistent Pro-Bowl FS, but we developed wrong and lost him because of mismanagement
3. Laremy Tunsil - the most profitable draft pick we've had, undervalued because of the draft day thing, but wow what a return he gave. Possibly the most talented guy on this list, but production has been very hit and miss.
4. DeVante Parker - debatable, but he _finally_ has stayed healthy and proven his immense talent. Most Dolphins picks look good early and suck late, but he looks good late, so the board polarizes.
5. Christian Wilkins - legitimate argument to rank him higher, but in reality he has only been solid, and that's a disappointment from where he was drafted.
6. Jared Odrick - this is where the list gets ugly fast. I wanted to stand pat on the pick and draft Earl Thomas ... we didn't do that. But when we traded back we got an extra pick, that I wanted to use to select Rob Gronkowski, but instead we drafted Koa Misi. Maybe I'm just too jaded to appreciate him, but he was about 3 or 4 years of a solid player and disappeared once he left us.
7. Mike Pouncey - He was a good player who had unending health issues and was grossly overpaid while rarely playing. But the reality is that he WAS a good player, and if he could have stayed healthy, he might have been considerably higher up this list. Case of injuries ruining a promising career.
8. Ja'Wuan James - Inconsistent, injured almost every year, and the least-bad on a team full of horrible OL. Somehow fooled much of the league into thinking he had potential and decent production ... but he never was a decent player and he always had average potential. Simply a bad pick that some people love to defend for unknown reasons.
9. Charles Harris - This is where the list drops off the deep end, because Charles Harris was our first bona fide bust. Clear cut. Good person, not an NFL player, IMHO.
10. Dion Jordan - BUST.

Reasonable minds may differ, but no matter how you rank the top 8, the bottom two are in a putrid category all to themselves.
I'm so glad Miami let James and Odrick walk. At least Miami was able to trade Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Tunsil and hell even Charles Harris lol

I remember Dion blocking some kicks, not horrible except for Jordan, Except for the trade up for Jordan I do not think anybody was a top 5 pick

Back
Top Bottom