Rank Your QB Traits | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Your QB Traits

Interested in seeing what people think in this regard, I am listing QB qualities and I want you to rank them 1-8. 1 being the trait you want them to embody the most and 8 being the one you see as least important or one you can live without them having high end ability with.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I think all of these are important skills to have but want to see how people regard particular qualities

Arm Strength
Accuracy
Mobility/Elusiveness
Mental Game/Football IQ
Intangibles (Leadership, Clutchness etc)
Footwork/Mechanics
Physical Build
Awareness

Wow, great post dude!

Simple. But incredibly complex!

I'll just say if you could crack this "code" and prove it's
repeatability/viability I'm like ALL IN as an investor!

My feeble attempt follows:

I'll slate Accuracy #1 because without "it" nothing else matters.
But I have a rather complex theory on accuracy, which relates to
vertical and horizontal planes as well as moving target speed etc.
I'll leave it at this -- 95% of the QBs in the N F L have issues
with accuracy IMO.

Best ever? Easily Dan Marino.
Best in the game right now? Aaron Rodgers.

After that I'd have to combine a number of your criteria and
categorize it as Confidence, or Command. Of course this trait
encompasses multiple aspects but is essentially rooted in
"Intangibles" -- which I am expressing as a byproduct of
certain definable techniques including Footwork/Mechanics,
Mobility/Elusiveness, Awareness and of course

Arm Strength! (I mean come on! It's the effing N F L
and you better have a live arm)!

But dude -- I want my QB playing with supreme confidence!

Again...
Best ever? Easily Dan Marino.
Best in the game right now? Aaron Rodgers.

For me its as follows:

1-Processor(ability to diagnosis the defense pre/post snap)
2-Accuracy(both in throwing a guy open and putting the ball in the spot only the receiver can get to)
3-Leadership( must be a CEO, field general, team guy- above all though he must have the faith of his teammates)
4-Toughness( mental and physical)
5-Arm Strength(has to be able to make "the nfl throw hash to the far sideline)
6-Smart(study film,game plan,makes good choices on and off the field)

Finding the qualities that make a great QB are difficult because there are many ways to be great, however if you define for your team what you need and dont stray from that blueprint you will hit on more than you miss.
Like everything though its never a sure thing

IQ
Accuracy
Awareness
Intangibles
Mechanics
Mobility
Arm Strength
Physical Build
Good list. For me, what I add to IQ is CPU speed. It's a big reason why Marino is a legend and Tannehill isn't.

A lot of QBs have football IQ when in the film room, but those QBs that can react, on the field, with lightening speed may be the difference from being good to great...turning a negative play into a positive one.

I remember coach Shula being interviewed back in the Marino days and asked what he thought Marino's best asset was and his response was, "I doesn't take long for it go from Dan's brain to his feet and his brain to his arm."

I also remember Bruce Smith would get frustrated playing against Marino because of how many sacks he almost got...21:30

Good list. For me, what I add to IQ is CPU speed. It's a big reason why Marino is a legend and Tannehill isn't.

A lot of QBs have football IQ when in the film room, but those QBs that can react, on the field, with lightening speed may be the difference from being good to great...turning a negative play into a positive one.

I remember coach Shula being interviewed back in the Marino days and asked what he thought Marino's best asset was and his response was, "I doesn't take long for it go from Dan's brain to his feet and his brain to his arm."

I also remember Bruce Smith would get frustrated playing against Marino because of how many sacks he almost got...21:30

Agree

Accuracy
Football IQ
Arm Strength - We play in the AFC East. Outdoor stadiums and winter games can be played in buffalo, NJ, and NE. Dude has to have an arm.

A QB with the arm, football IQ, and leadership of Dan Marino. Hope that isn’t asking for too much.

Back
Top Bottom