Ranking All 40 Trades, From Cardinals' Poor Return For Josh Rosen To The First-round Deal At No. 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking All 40 Trades, From Cardinals' Poor Return For Josh Rosen To The First-round Deal At No. 1

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Josh-Rosen.jpg

40. Josh Rosen finds a new home

Depending on how you want to score this, this is either the best (for the Dolphins) or worst (for the Cardinals) trade in the draft. The Cardinals landed a package worth about the 60th pick in this year's draft for a quarterback they took at 10th overall. Not only that, a year ago I ranked their move up for Rosen my best trade of the 2018 draft. What a difference a year makes.

There's zero downside for the Dolphins in this move, while the Cardinals opted to sell a potential franchise quarterback at pennies to a dollar a year after trading him. And there's no guarantee the guy they're going with instead (Kyler Murray) is any better than Rosen would have been. This one's an easy winner of the worst trade of the 2019 draft award.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-josh-rosen-to-the-first-round-deal-at-no-1/

No kidding. I've been startled at the posters here who thought we should have held out for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Sheesh. Especially the identify of them...posters who are normally sharp regarding market value.

I thought 48 was fine but once we dropped to 62 I got a little grin because you could see what would happen. Best move the Dolphins have made in so many years I can't think of a comparison. Maybe when we traded Gary Davis and Norm Thomas to Tampa Bay for a second round pick. That was nearly 40 years ago.

If you hold out to 3rd round then you taking an incredible risk that is simply not worth it. Our additional gain would have been minimal, as judged by the criteria applied. The author of that article correctly focuses on Rosen's status as 10th pick last year. That is exactly the perfect reference point. You isolate that as the spotlight and not your subjective view of Rosen. The posters who have condemned the decisions are ones who rely too much on subjectivity all year and therefore don't always know when to set it aside.

Worth pick 48 any day.

A top 50 pick for a qb who likely if he was in tbe 2020 class would be rated 2nd to tua relative to the rest of the draft eligible options is a no brainer

The way to look at it is, if the tipping point is 50/50 and you're already at a positive 86/14 in relation to the typical trade, why would you possibly care about squeezing to 88/12?

That's all you're doing. It's not going to jump to 96/4.

Those may be high but necessary to make the point. The gain is exceptionally low compared to the entire thing falling apart and now you realize you'll never be in that territory again.

Grier played his cards perfectly with the Cardinals scaring them into taking the trade even after Miami traded down in round 2.

I was a little nervous when we passed on Haskins, more so when we traded with the Saints and moved down,then all my confidence came back when we managed to get Rosen. Grier had half a foot in the door to get Rosen and when we traded with the Saints the Cardinals got nervous.

What a bluff, if miami waited until round 3 other teams may have taken a chance for Rosen and the last thing we wanted was to getting into a bidding war.

We lucked out.

The way to look at it is, if the tipping point is 50/50 and you're already at a positive 86/14 in relation to the typical trade, why would you possibly care about squeezing to 88/12?

That's all you're doing. It's not going to jump to 96/4.

Those may be high but necessary to make the point. The gain is exceptionally low compared to the entire thing falling apart and now you realize you'll never be in that territory again.
Sorry, coming off an 18 hr drive. I do not get it.

I'm one of those who did not want to give up 48 for him but it really had less to do with him than it did with the teams goals in general. The trade down and subsequent pickup I was on board with.

Sure the value is there at 48, but what use is that tool when it isn't applied correctly (ie we were planning on 2020 QBs and do not have a line to support Rosen). Thus when they essentially parlayed down I though the CBA was equivalent at that point, not at 48.

AW I think you are looking at it in a different lens than the people you are talking about. We were all under the assumption that the team was in full tank mode for 2020 and shoring up lines and edges this year. Because a bright shiny thing became available due to Arizona's inneptitude doesn't make the people who wanted to stay the course wrong.

I'm one of those who did not want to give up 48 for him but it really had less to do with him than it did with the teams goals in general. The trade down and subsequent pickup I was on board with.

Sure the value is there at 48, but what use is that tool when it isn't applied correctly (ie we were planning on 2020 QBs and do not have a line to support Rosen). Thus when they essentially parlayed down I though the CBA was equivalent at that point, not at 48.

AW I think you are looking at it in a different lens than the people you are talking about. We were all under the assumption that the team was in full tank mode for 2020 and shoring up lines and edges this year. Because a bright shiny thing became available due to Arizona's inneptitude doesn't make the people who wanted to stay the course wrong.

Whats this "we were all" stuff?

The forum is divided on the "full tank mode" and after the draft more would be on the side it never exsisted.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand any hate for this trade, or anything this new crew has done so far. Would I have liked to get him for a 3rd, sure....but when we traded down, and got the 2, not that much difference for a guy that can be the franchise.

What has been driving me nuts(and I know I shouldn't let my responses be dictated by my emotions) is the repeated assumption in so many threads that the 2020 QBs we assume are going to be available are actually going to be available. What if Tua doesn't declare? What if Fromm tears his achilles in his bowl game? And what if we win 8 games and can't get to #1 to get Herbert?
Then all those QBs we were assuming we could have we can't have, and we didn't even get Rosen. Finding a QB can be like fishing: You drop in a ton of lines hoping to snag one. You don't throw out one line hoping to get the best fish.
People saying we should draft a QB every year are right- and essentially that's what we did: We drafted a top10 graded talent at 62.
I didn't like this trade on draft night, but the more I have read and the more I have thought about it, it is a no brainer.
Drafting a franchise QB trumps drafting an o-lineman(I was butt-hurt because we passed on McCoy, and while McCoy might be great, he is not a QB)
We did the right thing. AND if those QB's are there for us in 2020, and Rosen lays a turd, we can still draft one. There is no one saying we can't or won't. Now if Rosen is a big ??? and we pass on those QB's next year, a new debate begins. But for now, the Rosen trade was, I believe, an adept and necessary move.

Yeah, I don't understand any hate for this trade, or anything this new crew has done so far. Would I have liked to get him for a 3rd, sure....but when we traded down, and got the 2, not that much difference for a guy that can be the franchise.
For all attentive purposes, it basically was a third, only 2 picks away. Not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom