Ranking the AFC East secondaries | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the AFC East secondaries

I'll just agree this offseason, your secondary is the best. It's not a question of if you will in SBs in the coming years the real question is how many.:crazy:

W/ that great secondary and great pass rush- how come teams could pass on you guys at will?

You need to put down the Kool-Aid. You have Revis, that's it. Leonard wasn't close to as good as Bell this year. Rhodes is sorry. You have no one behind Revis worth a crap at CB.

We need a FS...no doubt, but we have Three good corners and Bell is a good SS. You can talk about "one good corner to build around" all you want, it doesn't change the FACTS. Your secondary needs alot more work than ours. Take of your green glasses, and let's be real.

You need to put down the Kool-Aid. You have Revis, that's it. Leonard wasn't close to as good as Bell this year. Rhodes is sorry. You have no one behind Revis worth a crap at CB.

We need a FS...no doubt, but we have Three good corners and Bell is a good SS. You can talk about "one good corner to build around" all you want, it doesn't change the FACTS. Your secondary needs alot more work than ours. Take of your green glasses, and let's be real.

Darrelle Revis isn't the only reason the New York Jets finished the regular season with the NFL's top-rated pass defense.

Revis, the lockdown left cornerback, gets most of the attention because he's one of the league's elite defenders, regardless of position.

But statistical analysis shows Revis isn't the only Jet giving receivers fits.
Lowest Burn Percentage
Cornerbacks this season, Min. 50 targets
Code:
Player/Team 	Percentage
[B]Darrelle Revis, Jets 	37.0[/B]
Jabari Greer, Saints 	37.9
[B]Dwight Lowery, Jets 	40.7[/B]
Drayton Florence, Bills 	45.3
Leon Hall, Bengals 	45.3
[B]Lito Sheppard, Jets 	45.6[/B]

Stats Inc. records what it calls "burns," the number of times a defender allows a reception to the man he's covering. Stats Inc. then divides that by the number of times the defender is targeted to compute a "burn percentage."

Of cornerbacks who were targeted at least 50 times, three Jets cornerbacks ranked among the top six.

Revis was best with 40 receptions allowed on 108 targets for a 37.0 burn percentage.

Part-time starter Dwight Lowery, third on the list, allowed 22 catches on 54 targets for a 40.7 percentage. Usual right cornerback Lito Sheppard was sixth. Sheppard surrendered 26 catches on 57 targets for a 45.6 percentage.

The Buffalo Bills had two among the top 11, another reason why they finished second in pass defense. Drayton Florence was fourth at 43.2 percent, and Reggie Corner was 11th at 47.3 percent. Former Bills cornerback Jabari Greer ranked second at 37.9 percent.

Sean Smith was the Miami Dolphins' best in terms of burn percentage. He ranked 16th, allowing 35 receptions on 73 targets for a 47.9 percentage.

His rookie partner, Vontae Davis, was 61st -- worst among all AFC East cornerbacks who faced at least 50 passes. He gave up 46 catches on 76 tries. That's a 60.5 percent success rate for the offense.

The New England Patriots top cornerback was Leigh Bodden at 19th. He yielded 43 catches on 87 attempts, or 49.4 percent. Darius Burler was 43rd, with 37 receptions on 65 attempts for 56.9 percent. Jonathan Wilhite was 49th with 42 receptions on 72 attempts for 58.3 percent.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/8882/jets-cbs-dont-feel-the-burn

Are you trying to say you like Shepard and Lowery as your CB depth? I hope you keep them. The one thing missing from that list is the actual number of times each one of those guys was targeted. Over 50 means nothing, they could have had 51 targets, it's not hard to have a low percentage when you're not getting reps. Where are they ranked in overall CB play? I know it's not top six... I'll tell you what, I'll get the real rankings, not some BS "burn" percentage.

Here is the list of Ints for last year, the true measure of a CB or S, you have one guy on the list....wanna guess who? We have Davis and Bell in the top 30.

Int Yds TD Lg
Jairus Byrd BUF 9 118 0 37 Asante Samuel PHI 9 117 0 37 Darren Sharper NO 9 376 3 99 Charles Woodson GB 9 179 3 45 Zackary Bowman CHI 6 67 0 39 Nick Collins GB 6 110 0 31 Brent Grimes ATL 6 17 0 11 Leon Hall CIN 6 47 0 26 Johnathan Joseph CIN 6 92 1 32 Darrelle Revis NYJ 6 121 1 67 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ARI 6 77 1 49 Leigh Bodden NE 5 60 1 53 Sheldon Brown PHI 5 152 1 83 Cortland Finnegan TEN 5 194 1 80 Brandon Flowers KC 5 38 0 33 Andre' Goodman DEN 5 65 0 30 Tanard Jackson TB 5 86 2 35 Mike Jenkins DAL 5 0 0 0 Brandon Meriweather NE 5 149 1 56 Aqib Talib TB 5 99 0 32 Terrell Thomas NYG 5 87 1 33 Adrian Wilson ARI 5 56 0 41 Antoine Bethea IND 4 19 0 19 Atari Bigby GB 4 14 0 14 Derek Cox JAC 4 6 0 6 Brian Cushing HOU 4 26 0 20 Vontae Davis MIA 4 64 1 26 Domonique Foxworth BAL 4 34 0 19 Chris Gamble CAR 4 55 0 41 Dashon Goldson SF 4 39 0 34 Cedric Griffin MIN 4 -2 0 0 DeAngelo Hall WAS 4 114 0 44 Dawan Landry BAL 4 89 1 48 Richard Marshall CAR 4 47 0 28 Bernard Pollard HOU 4 121 1 70 Brodney Pool CLE 4 33 0 32 Tracy Porter NO 4 72 1 54 Antrel Rolle ARI 4 71 0 29 Tramon Williams GB 4 94 0 67 George Wilson BUF 4 23 0 27 Eric Wright CLE 4 74 0 47 Champ Bailey DEN 3 18 0 11 Jon Beason CAR 3 46 0 18 Yeremiah Bell MIA 3 48 0 29 Dre' Bly SF 3 66 0 31 Mike Brown KC 3 13 0 10 Keith Bulluck TEN 3 45 0 23 Darius Butler NE 3 91 1 91 James Butler STL 3 17 0 17 Ryan Clark PIT 3 0 0 0

I love how you always try to spin everything Junc, I really do. You know that it's ridiculous to say Bell is average at best. I mean, at least show some objectivity.

He certainly wasn't a legit PBer. Maybe average at best is a little harsh but teams wouldn't be lining up to sign him to big $ if he was released.

I need to put down the kool aid:lol2: your secondary was awful last year yet you have nothing but great talent:lol:

Are you trying to say you like Shepard and Lowery as your CB depth? I hope you keep them. The one thing missing from that list is the actual number of times each one of those guys was targeted. Over 50 means nothing, they could have had 51 targets, it's not hard to have a low percentage when you're not getting reps. Where are they ranked in overall CB play? I know it's not top six... I'll tell you what, I'll get the real rankings, not some BS "burn" percentage.

Here is the list of Ints for last year, the true measure of a CB or S, you have one guy on the list....wanna guess who? We have Davis and Bell in the top 30.

Int Yds TD Lg
Jairus Byrd BUF 9 118 0 37 Asante Samuel PHI 9 117 0 37 Darren Sharper NO 9 376 3 99 Charles Woodson GB 9 179 3 45 Zackary Bowman CHI 6 67 0 39 Nick Collins GB 6 110 0 31 Brent Grimes ATL 6 17 0 11 Leon Hall CIN 6 47 0 26 Johnathan Joseph CIN 6 92 1 32 Darrelle Revis NYJ 6 121 1 67 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ARI 6 77 1 49 Leigh Bodden NE 5 60 1 53 Sheldon Brown PHI 5 152 1 83 Cortland Finnegan TEN 5 194 1 80 Brandon Flowers KC 5 38 0 33 Andre' Goodman DEN 5 65 0 30 Tanard Jackson TB 5 86 2 35 Mike Jenkins DAL 5 0 0 0 Brandon Meriweather NE 5 149 1 56 Aqib Talib TB 5 99 0 32 Terrell Thomas NYG 5 87 1 33 Adrian Wilson ARI 5 56 0 41 Antoine Bethea IND 4 19 0 19 Atari Bigby GB 4 14 0 14 Derek Cox JAC 4 6 0 6 Brian Cushing HOU 4 26 0 20 Vontae Davis MIA 4 64 1 26 Domonique Foxworth BAL 4 34 0 19 Chris Gamble CAR 4 55 0 41 Dashon Goldson SF 4 39 0 34 Cedric Griffin MIN 4 -2 0 0 DeAngelo Hall WAS 4 114 0 44 Dawan Landry BAL 4 89 1 48 Richard Marshall CAR 4 47 0 28 Bernard Pollard HOU 4 121 1 70 Brodney Pool CLE 4 33 0 32 Tracy Porter NO 4 72 1 54 Antrel Rolle ARI 4 71 0 29 Tramon Williams GB 4 94 0 67 George Wilson BUF 4 23 0 27 Eric Wright CLE 4 74 0 47 Champ Bailey DEN 3 18 0 11 Jon Beason CAR 3 46 0 18 Yeremiah Bell MIA 3 48 0 29 Dre' Bly SF 3 66 0 31 Mike Brown KC 3 13 0 10 Keith Bulluck TEN 3 45 0 23 Darius Butler NE 3 91 1 91 James Butler STL 3 17 0 17 Ryan Clark PIT 3 0 0 0

What? Ints is the true measure?:lol: I'll give an example, in 2005 Ty Law was AWFUL for us yet he had 10 INts. Ints tell part of the story, some guys just get lucky- heck, one of revis' INTs he caught after a bounce off an opponents leg.

I need to put down the kool aid:lol2: your secondary was awful last year yet you have nothing but great talent:lol:

You are obviously not reading what I post. I never said our secondary was great, try reading, it's fundamental. I said you have just as much work to do in your secondary. But I guess you don't see that.....what a surprise. Because Revis is good enough to do it by himself...what a joke.:lol::lol::lol:

What? Ints is the true measure?:lol: I'll give an example, in 2005 Ty Law was AWFUL for us yet he had 10 INts. Ints tell part of the story, some guys just get lucky- heck, one of revis' INTs he caught after a bounce off an opponents leg.

You are a Kool-Aid drinker, I don't expect any real objectivity from you.

The Jets are the best...There secondary is awesome...They don't have any work to do...You guys will win the SB the next Ten years...LMFAO.....:bobdole::bobdole::bobdole:

All I'm saying is our CB's behind Revis did very well too. You don't have the #1 pass defense in the league (by far) just because of one CB. We played 5 regular season games against the top 4 passing attacks in the league and had BY FAR the best pass defense in the league.

Sheppard did pretty well when healthy and Lowery is a pretty good nickel back. Manning seemed to have Sheppard # for whatever reason, but outside of that he played well for us.

INT's is hardly the only measure of a good cornerback. I think one could make a case for "burn percentage" being just as important, if not more than INT's. And it was a PERCENTAGE, so the exact number of targets compared to other CB's is largely irrelevant once you have enough attempts to be considered a good sample set. These guys probably get targeted MORE than most CB's BECAUSE they have Revis opposite of them. Think about it.

You're out of your mind and/or just a homer if you think our #1 secondary was based on having 1 great corner and no one else.

All I'm saying is our CB's behind Revis did very well too. You don't have the #1 pass defense in the league (by far) just because of one CB. We played 5 regular season games against the top 4 passing attacks in the league and had BY FAR the best pass defense in the league.

Sheppard did pretty well when healthy and Lowery is a pretty good nickel back. Manning seemed to have Sheppard # for whatever reason, but outside of that he played well for us.

INT's is hardly the only measure of a good cornerback. I think one could make a case for "burn percentage" being just as important, if not more than INT's. And it was a PERCENTAGE, so the exact number of targets compared to other CB's is largely irrelevant once you have enough attempts to be considered a good sample set. These guys probably get targeted MORE than most CB's BECAUSE they have Revis opposite of them. Think about it.

You're out of your mind and/or just a homer if you think our #1 secondary was based on having 1 great corner and no one else.

Actually I'm not saying that at all. What I said, which I thought was very reasonable, was that you have just as much work to do in your secondary as we do. You need a FS, so do we. I'll take bell over leonard any day, but we both seem set at SS. I'll like our CB's. You didn't answer my question about Shepard and Lowery, do you want them as your 2&3 CB's? I would think you would want an upgrade.

This isn't rocket science, you can see where we both have some work to do, witch is exactly what I posted. Unfortunately, some people want to pretend the Jets don't have any work to do, and that is imbecilic.

You are a Kool-Aid drinker, I don't expect any real objectivity from you.

The Jets are the best...There secondary is awesome...They don't have any work to do...You guys will win the SB the next Ten years...LMFAO.....:bobdole::bobdole::bobdole:

:lol: I never said our secondary was the best, just better than yours and that was proven on the field last year. That doesn't mean we'll be better next year but the most recent body of worked proved this isn't even a debate.

Actually I'm not saying that at all. What I said, which I thought was very reasonable, was that you have just as much work to do in your secondary as we do. You need a FS, so do we. I'll take bell over leonard any day, but we both seem set at SS. I'll like our CB's. You didn't answer my question about Shepard and Lowery, do you want them as your 2&3 CB's? I would think you would want an upgrade.

This isn't rocket science, you can see where we both have some work to do, witch is exactly what I posted. Unfortunately, some people want to pretend the Jets don't have any work to do, and that is imbecilic.

You said "You have no one behind Revis worth a crap at CB. " I disagree, and gave my argument.

As for our safeties, Leonhard is a very good, hard nosed player, and I'm very happy with him. He clearly outplayed Rhodes this season. Rhodes is very talented but needs a major attitude adjustment. I believe Rex gives him this season to get his head on straight and show what he can do in this defense. If he doesn't show up, he needs to be replaced.

I'm fine with Lowery at NB, but don't want to see him at #2 CB. We could do better than Sheppard at #2 CB, but we could also do a lot worse. I don't see it as an urgent need.

You said "You have no one behind Revis worth a crap at CB. " I disagree, and gave my argument.

As for our safeties, Leonhard is a very good, hard nosed player, and I'm very happy with him. He clearly outplayed Rhodes this season. Rhodes is very talented but needs a major attitude adjustment. I believe Rex gives him this season to get his head on straight and show what he can do in this defense. If he doesn't show up, he needs to be replaced.

I'm fine with Lowery at NB, but don't want to see him at #2 CB. We could do better than Sheppard at #2 CB, but we could also do a lot worse. I don't see it as an urgent need.

I think we had enough talent in the secondary last year, the problem was Strickland and Lito were always hurt and that killed us espcially against Indy.

He certainly wasn't a legit PBer. Maybe average at best is a little harsh but teams wouldn't be lining up to sign him to big $ if he was released.
114 tackles, 3 picks. Teams sure wouldn't want a very good SS on their roster at all! Face it, Bell is a very good SS. He does everything you want from a SS. Is a very, very good tackler, just an elite run defender. I know for a fact you would take him in a heartbeat over Leonhard if given the opportunity. Probably Wilson too.

114 tackles, 3 picks. Teams sure wouldn't want a very good SS on their roster at all! Face it, Bell is a very good SS. He does everything you want from a SS. Is a very, very good tackler, just an elite run defender. I know for a fact you would take him in a heartbeat over Leonhard if given the opportunity. Probably Wilson too.

I wouldn't take him over leonhard, leonhard is always making big plays for us and he's 3 1/2 years younger. Leonhard was making plays for the #1 ranked defense, Bell was accumulating meaningless tackle #s for a mediocre D.

I wouldn't take him over leonhard, leonhard is always making big plays for us and he's 3 1/2 years younger. Leonhard was making plays for the #1 ranked defense, Bell was accumulating meaningless tackle #s for a mediocre D.
Wow, quite a biased statement. So Bell wasn't making plays, and was making meaningless tackles? And Leonhard, who isn't close to being on Bell's level is making all these plays for the #1 ranked defense. All this while Bell leads Leonhard in just about every stat? Like I said, please show some objectivity. :rolleyes2:

Wow, quite a biased statement. So Bell wasn't making plays, and was making meaningless tackles? And Leonhard, who isn't close to being on Bell's level is making all these plays for the #1 ranked defense. All this while Bell leads Leonhard in just about every stat? Like I said, please show some objectivity. :rolleyes2:

Stats don't always tell the whole story. Leonhard has started the last 2 years on two top 2 D's- I'll take him.

Back
Top Bottom