Ranking the AFC East secondaries | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the AFC East secondaries

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
4. Miami Dolphins

Vontae Davis and Sean Smith get a lot of ink as the Dolphins’ starting rookie cornerbacks. Smith began the season strong, but his unusual body type and struggles flipping his hips always might hold him back. To me, he finished the season as a somewhat overrated player.

But Davis could be on the verge of stardom. Like Smith, he made some rookie mistakes, but this kid has it all physically. He will be a true No. 1 cover man -- maybe as soon as next season. Third cornerback Will Allen is serviceable, but not dynamic.

Gibril Wilson and Yeremiah Bell are both average starting caliber strong safeties. But the problem in Miami is that neither has the skill set for deep patrol. The lack of a true free safety-type hurt this pass defense and is a clear offseason need.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10595/ranking-the-afc-east-secondaries

The AFC East does actually have a few solid secondaries . . . and Miami probably does rank 4th ATM. One PLAYMAKER at FS will change all of that.

Veterna CB: Will Allen (solid veteran, a starter on alot of teams, will be valuable in the slot for us IFFFF this DUI thing don't mess him up)

Young CB Duo: Sean Smith and Vontae Davis (arguably 2 of the top 10 promising CB's in this league, Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison part II)

SS: Yeremiah Bell/Gibril Wilson (IMO 2 real solid SS's . . . Bell was better last year, Gibril was at FS . . . everybody wants to cut Gibril, but I'm thinking Bell at FS may have been a BIGGER disaster, and he is due a nice chunk of change according to a few reports out there . . . I just know one of these guys will be our SS next year, and I am cool with that, Bell was a pro bowler.)

FS: ???? - Needs to be addressed, and unless Jason Allen out of nowhere remembers how to play FS and be GOOD at it . . . that person is not on this team. Clemmons is still some decent depth, has a little promise, but he is NOT the guy, atleast not this year. We either make the move for Eric Berry or grab Antrell Rolle. If either one happens, this secondary moves up the list.

Depth CB: CB depth is solid, IF we resign Jones and keep J. Allen. Both have value because they are 2 of our BEST special teams players, and both had good years last year. I think we have the makings of a top 10 CB team, potentially top 5 with Nolan here and a FS addressed.

Depth S: It's serviceable, but could be better. I would lose Culver this year and draft Myron Rolle at SS. I am cool with Clemmons as the backup, I don't think you will find a guy as good as him in the middle rounds.

Overall: Secondary is a work in progress . . . we are STRONG at CB . . . we have a solid SS . . . We need a FS, a guy who can be a leader in our secondary . . . it is the 2nd most important position we need to address behind ILB.

Adding Eric Berry would immediately make us #1.
And adding Aso would make the Jets have the best secondary in the NFL.

Neither are happening though.... I wish the Jets could get Eric Berry, considering he looks like the next Ed Reed.

Unless the Dolphins trade up, hes going top 10.

And adding Aso would make the Jets have the best secondary in the NFL.

Neither are happening though.... I wish the Jets could get Eric Berry, considering he looks like the next Ed Reed.

Unless the Dolphins trade up, hes going top 10.

Your safeties are suspect just like ours. You have just as much work needed, if not more, than us. Nice wishful thinking though. Besides Revis your secondary is average at best. One good corner, and nothing else.

Bills 3rd? This is a garbage assessment of the secondaries.

Your safeties are suspect just like ours. You have just as much work needed, if not more, than us. Nice wishful thinking though. Besides Revis your secondary is average at best. One good corner, and nothing else.

Our safties are not nearly as suspect as yours. Gibril Wilson was awful for you guys. Leonhard plays his posistion well and even though Rhodes takes a lot of heat there really is no questioning his talent IMHO. The guy was playing at an all pro level for the 2006 and 2007 seasons and then something happened that has changed him as a player. I've heard rumors that Vilma was a big mentor to him so maybe losing Vilma has had an impact on Rhodes as a player. Who knows. While I agree that Rhodes is suspect now due to his play the last 2 seasons I still would say you have more questions to answer in that area then we do.

I don't expect rhodes back but leonhard and Rhodes is a MUCH better duo than what you have and when you can build around the best corner in the game it gives you a leg up on most teams. We do have work to do getting a corner opposite Revis and replacing Rhodes if we do let him go but when we have a start in Revis and a solid starter in Leonhard which makes it easier to build around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our safties are not nearly as suspect as yours. Gibril Wilson was awful for you guys. Leonhard plays his posistion well and even though Rhodes takes a lot of heat there really is no questioning his talent IMHO. The guy was playing at an all pro level for the 2006 and 2007 seasons and then something happened that has changed him as a player. I've heard rumors that Vilma was a big mentor to him so maybe losing Vilma has had an impact on Rhodes as a player. Who knows. While I agree that Rhodes is suspect now due to his play the last 2 seasons I still would say you have more questions to answer in that area then we do.
I would say it has more to do with Rhodes getting his money then not giving a ****. Bell is a pro bowler, and Wilson is a pretty good SS as well. We're set at SS, we just need a FS. We'll improve at FS alone by Wilson not playing out there, but I like Chris Clemons a lot. We'll have to see I guess. There's always the draft and FA as well. As far as CB goes, the Jets really only have Revis. Will Allen was putting up Revis numbers before the injury, all went down hill from there. Not sure how Will Allen will come back from the knee injury though, but hopefully he comes back strong, he's one of the most underrated corners in the NFl imo. Doesn't get a lot of picks, but covers his man like a blanket. Not to mention Davis and Smith will get better with experience, and Nate Jones was very good in the slot last year.

I don't expect rhodes back but leonhard and Rhodes is MUCH better than what you have and when you can build around the best corner in the game it gives you a leg up on most teams. We do have work to do getting a corner opposite Revis and replacing Rhodes if we do let him go but when we have a start in Revis and a solid starter in Leonhard which makes it easier to build around.
MUCH better with all capital letters eh. No. Bell is a pro bowler, and Wilson is a better SS then Leonhard. Wilson isn't a FS, no idea why he was played as one.

I would say it has more to do with Rhodes getting his money then not giving a ****. Bell is a pro bowler, and Wilson is a pretty good SS as well. We're set at SS, we just need a FS. We'll improve at FS alone by Wilson not playing out there, but I like Chris Clemons a lot. We'll have to see I guess. There's always the draft and FA as well. As far as CB goes, the Jets really only have Revis. Will Allen was putting up Revis numbers before the injury, all went down hill from there. Not sure how Will Allen will come back from the knee injury though, but hopefully he comes back strong, he's one of the most underrated corners in the NFl imo. Doesn't get a lot of picks, but covers his man like a blanket. Not to mention Davis and Smith will get better with experience, and Nate Jones was very good in the slot last year.

Bell is not a pro bowler, he made the PB b/c a bunch of guys backed out. He's an average at best safety.

Will Allen has NEVER played at the level revis played this year, I'm not sure any CB has ever played at that level.

Bell is not a pro bowler, he made the PB b/c a bunch of guys backed out. He's an average at best safety.

Will Allen has NEVER played at the level revis played this year, I'm not sure any CB has ever played at that level.
Right. Bell is average at best :lol:. Must make Leonhard and Rhodes some pretty ****ty safeties then. Will Allen was right behind Revis in most stats.

Right. Bell is average at best :lol:. Must make Leonhard and Rhodes some pretty ****ty safeties then. Will Allen was right behind Revis in most stats.

I'll just agree this offseason, your secondary is the best. It's not a question of if you will in SBs in the coming years the real question is how many.:crazy:

W/ that great secondary and great pass rush- how come teams could pass on you guys at will?

I'll just agree this offseason, your secondary is the best. It's not a question of if you will in SBs in the coming years the real question is how many.:crazy:

W/ that great secondary and great pass rush- how come teams could pass on you guys at will?
I love how you always try to spin everything Junc, I really do. You know that it's ridiculous to say Bell is average at best. I mean, at least show some objectivity.

Back
Top Bottom