Rare Orchid spotted in S FL. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rare Orchid spotted in S FL.

Den54

Punk Exterminator
Reaction score
I know there are a few here that might find this interesting,

NAPLES -- A rare ghost orchid has been found growing high in an old cypress tree in a southwest Florida nature preserve.

Two visitors looking for owls on Saturday spotted the endangered orchid growing about 45 feet off the ground in a tree at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples. The orchid, featured in the nonfiction book ``The Orchid Thief'' and the fictional movie spinoff ``Adaptation,'' is about 150 feet from the sanctuary's boardwalk and can be seen only with binoculars and good lighting.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-711rareorchid,0,6099694.story

That is sweet. I love Orchids, my dad grows them in his back yard, after Hurricane Ivan he lost most with the loss of his trees, but has quite a few re growing on our coconut trees. I echo that I think it is amazing that the birders knew what they were looking at and that it was rare. I can hardly tell the difference between the ones we have.

Thanks for the link.

Those are really neat. Was anyone else reminded of the movie Adaptation when reading this?

Those are really neat. Was anyone else reminded of the movie Adaptation when reading this?

It's mentioned in the article Joe.

The orchid, featured in the nonfiction book ``The Orchid Thief'' and the fictional movie spinoff ``Adaptation,'' is about 150 feet from the sanctuary's boardwalk and can be seen only with binoculars and good lighting.

It's mentioned in the article Joe.

The orchid, featured in the nonfiction book ``The Orchid Thief'' and the fictional movie spinoff ``Adaptation,'' is about 150 feet from the sanctuary's boardwalk and can be seen only with binoculars and good lighting.

:goof: That's what I get for just looking at the picture :o

Back
Top Bottom