RATE THE 7th RDERS! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RATE THE 7th RDERS!

FakeSpike13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
what do you guys think of our last 2 consecutive picks:
221-Tony Pape T/Michigan

222-Derrick Pope LB

Personally, I like them.... but I was disappointed that Jenkins wasn't taken... Not 1 Wr this draft? I loved Johnnie Morant but he was gone before we chose in the 6th rd, Jenkins I also liked... Plus we have so many young OL's!!! Competition brings out the best in people, so that's a positive. But on the other hand, we can't retain this many OL's, so many of these guys might be a waste.... I'm thinkin especially Mcintosh...

I'm not as high on Pope.

But Tony Pape is really interesting. I think he makes the team. On NFL.com they listed him as a guard. I could see in three years our RG as Pape and our RT as Carey.
I love the Pape pick.

I like what I see about both guys, but I really hate that RS couldn't get us value at positions like DT and WR at some point today. He made tons of moves, after all. Moves are what you do when you want to address need while addressing value...

What I see here is an OT who ESPN grades out as a possible eventual starter for somebody and an undersized and overachieving LB. That's not bad for the 7th.

Pope will start for us in the future...he has a nose for the ball...next year he will contribute on special teams

Jimmy James said:
I like what I see about both guys, but I really hate that RS couldn't get us value at positions like DT and WR at some point today. He made tons of moves, after all. Moves are what you do when you want to address need while addressing value...

What I see here is an OT who ESPN grades out as a possible eventual starter for somebody and an undersized and overachieving LB. That's not bad for the 7th.

DT yea, WR no...we have about 10 WR's on our roster with potential, and 2 arguable pro-bowlers. ;)

wr's on the roster as of right now-chambers, boston, thompson, newsom, tolver, simmons, minnis, and wilkins. that's 8 wr, and only 6 will make the team, so i guess the fo didn't feel it was a need

Sporting News Draft Profile on Pape

Pape- 4th rd. projection: 6-6 300 lbs 5.40 40 time NFL Comparison: Jeff Backus, Lions

Strengths: An experienced, efficient player with a good but not elite combination of size, strength, and quickness. Quick out of his stance. Has a quick set in pass pro and long arms and does a good job of finishing. Best in the running game; has good size and frame to engulf lineman. A tough, agressive, competitive blocker who works to finish and does a great job of driving his legs. A durable, consistent, solid leader and a hard worker.

Weaknesses: Solid but not spectacular and needs to play with more consistent leverage. HAs adequate short-area quickness but does not have ideal change-of-direction skills and struggles to redirect in pass pro against quick double moves. Plays too high and has some trouble hitting moving targets in space.

Bottom Line: Pape will have to play right tackle or move to guard. He will likely slip to day 2 of the draft because his physical ability is not spectacular. He's an instinctive player who probably will compete his way into a starting role.
5.1 out of 9

I wanted Pope before we drafted him so I was definitely happy with that pick. I wasn't a big Tony Pape fan but you can't be disappointed with getting him for a seventh rounder.

Sporting News Draft Review: Derrick Pope

7th rd. Projection 5-11 5/8th 222 lbs 4.65 40 NFL Comparison: Levar Fisher, Cardinals

Strengths: Gives great effort in every capacity. Is one of the class' soundest tacklers with the potential to excel on special teams. Is instinctive, tough, physical, and aggressive. Powerful for his size; explodes from the hips when tackling. Has nice range for zone coverage. Shows great clsing burst and ball skills.

Weaknesses: Started only one season in college. Lacks ideal size and strength. Struggles to get through traffic. Lacks the lower-body strength to take on blocks in tight spaces. Lacks the height to match up against bigger TE's. Has neither the speed nor the athleticismto stay with elite NFL running backs.

Bottom Line: Pope lacks the physical tools to develop into a weakside starter, but HE IS WORTH a late-round pick because he has the heart and enough athletic skills to contribute part time on passing downs and coverage units.

2.1 out of 9

Sounds like strictly a special teams ace, but then again the knock on ZT coming out of college was the same (not athletic or fast enough). Can learn fron the man he must emulate and may excel in our scheme where the DT's protect our MLB and everyone funnels everything inside for Pope to make the tackle.

Spielman for 2005 Exec of the year !!!!!! hahahahah Make a few nice June 1st signings, and if the Dolphins finally live up to their billing with a favorable schedule- hey it could happen...

Back
Top Bottom