Rate The Qb Backups... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rate The Qb Backups...

I don't think anybody has been particularly bad and two of them have reasonable experience. Fales scares me a bit because he makes overly aggressive throws in preseason games that are only completed because camp fodder can't intercept it. That said I do like that he is willing to make plays and seems to have some potential to do so. After the Chad Henne debacle (and a few years of Tanny struggling to make big plays, which he's gotten better at) I'll take a guy looking to make plays all day. Oddly enough the guy Fales reminds me of when he throws is Matt Moore.

That was my point exactly. On some teams the quality of the backup has more importance than on others. I don't believe it matters much with the Fins.

Do you think that if RT goes down week three that they make the playoffs irrespective of which of the guys they keep?

Do you honestly think it would make a substantial difference in the win total?

Just two years ago having a backup able to come in and make plays sealed only our second playoff berth since 2001. I think it matters.

Just two years ago having a backup able to come in and make plays sealed only our second playoff berth since 2001. I think it matters.
We were exposed for what we were by the Steelers. An incomplete team. It made no difference if it was Moore, Fales or Mickey Mouse.

The key to beating Steelers is power running game. Eat clock up. Than play action them...that why we lost to them in playoff they stop running game down. Our defense didn't show up either. It was not just Moore. We was not prepared play. It still was good season.. at lease we made it to playoff . Still got give Moore credit for getting us in playoff. it time moved on from 2016 season

Last edited:
That was my point exactly. On some teams the quality of the backup has more importance than on others. I don't believe it matters much with the Fins.

Do you think that if RT goes down week three that they make the playoffs irrespective of which of the guys they keep?

Do you honestly think it would make a substantial difference in the win total?

The quality of the backup absolutely matters for the Dolphins.

I can't answer those questions right now about Fales.

I think we have to give Fales a chance. Right now he is an unknown and his lack of experience is the only thing keeping him from being the guy we think we need.
Gase needs to cut Brock and give Fales and Petty more snaps.

I do remember when Wentz got injured that most Eagles fans thought their season was OVER.

We were exposed for what we were by the Steelers. An incomplete team. It made no difference if it was Moore, Fales or Mickey Mouse.

You mean the defense giving up three scores before the offense had their second drive wasn't because of Moore? We all know that Tannehill is a better defender than Moore. Had Tannehill been healthy we could have thrown him out there at safety and he would have taken better angles than the street free agents and career special teamers we had there. You won't ever convince me that the defensive performance in that game wasn't the backup QB's fault. Never.

But in any case, playoff berths matter. Yeah you won't win the super bowl with an incomplete team but it brings respectability. It's not fun to be the team that people say hasn't made the playoffs in "x" years. It's important to not be a laughingstock.

it seem to me dolphins are scare bring in any qb that might be threat to thill17....
For example? Who would you have liked to bring in?

If you are saying spend a high draft pick, I tend to disagree. We have too many other needs. See the colts, or Lions for an example. They did that, and it didn't make a huge difference.

I'm not satisfied with one and done in the playoffs every few years. I want a perennial contender. For that, you need a team that is solid all around.

You mean the defense giving up three scores before the offense had their second drive wasn't because of Moore? We all know that Tannehill is a better defender than Moore. Had Tannehill been healthy we could have thrown him out there at safety and he would have taken better angles than the street free agents and career special teamers we had there. You won't ever convince me that the defensive performance in that game wasn't the backup QB's fault. Never.

But in any case, playoff berths matter. Yeah you won't win the super bowl with an incomplete team but it brings respectability. It's not fun to be the team that people say hasn't made the playoffs in "x" years. It's important to not be a laughingstock.
I understand the sentiment of many posters here, but you just keep making my point. It takes a complete team to be a consistent contender. Spending high resources on a backup would, IMO, be one of the last parts of the puzzle.

For example? Who would you have liked to bring in?

If you are saying spend a high draft pick, I tend to disagree. why not thill17 all joke aside may get u to playoff 1 or 2 time in his career but that as high as I see his ceiling....he must proved me wrong and everybody else in nfl...I don't want talk about thill17 until end of yr

We have too many other needs. See the colts, or Lions for an example. lions are not bad team their hc got fired for going 9-7 and making playoff 3 out 4 yr.
colts need their qb back...

They did that, and it didn't make a huge difference. so lions and colts have been in playoff more than us so how is it not working,,,,

I'm not satisfied with one and done in the playoffs every few years. so every 7 to 9 yr we make playoff. your not satisfied w one and done. nobody is

I want a perennial contender. For that, you need a team that is solid all around. you will never have solid teams all around.. you think N.E have solid team all around? no

I don't know who looked better, but I'll tell you who might be cut.....Brock. This is saying a lot because I picked him to be the surprise player for the Dolphins when he was signed....boy was I surprised.

I understand the sentiment of many posters here, but you just keep making my point. It takes a complete team to be a consistent contender. Spending high resources on a backup would, IMO, be one of the last parts of the puzzle.

You can't ever as a team say "position X doesn't matter since we're not perfect". You do the best you can. Unless you are 100 percent actively committed to just wasting a season and finding out what young players are made of and biding your time for future drafts, which anyone outside of last years Jets and the Browns just don't do. Yeah I don't think this team is a Super Bowl contender, but a team like ours, like many in the league, is as capable of going 10-6 as 6-10 with the right bounces, clutch performances, and ability to close.

Just because that team got steamrolled by a Steelers team that was just flat out better, and we had weaknesses that they were able to exploit repeatedly that had nothing to do with the QB, that wasn't certain. That team in 2016 could have been a lot better and it was really the injuries, especially safety, that decimated this team. We lost Isa Abdul Quddus (sp?) in the second half of the Buffalo game. From that point on we pretty much didn't get a single defensive stop that mattered for the next 2+ games. The difference in safety play from what we had to what we had to put out there was just so big and it was such a glaring weakness it basically made our defense fall apart. The offense under a backup QB like Moore that also couldn't protect him adequately wasn't going to be able to come back from multiple scores against high power teams whose offense could dictate the pace of the game. It didn't have to be that way, and had this team not lost the horses to play competitive football on the defensive side, Moore could have done better when not being asked to play from behind against the two best coached defenses in football.

I don't know who looked better, but I'll tell you who might be cut.....Brock. This is saying a lot because I picked him to be the surprise player for the Dolphins when he was signed....boy was I surprised.

I've been rooting for Brock, but he's just not an accurate passer at this level, and he doesn't possess the awareness or command to compensate for it.

I've been rooting for Brock, but he's just not an accurate passer at this level, and he doesn't possess the awareness or command to compensate for it.

I still say Osweiler has his faults, but so do all backup qbs. If he didn't have the faults people point out he wouldn't be on the Dolphins roster on a cheap deal, he would be a starter somewhere. I think it's unrealistic to find a pure backup that is clean problem areas, the question is can you coach around the areas or at least minimize the impact.

Back
Top Bottom