Rate The Qb Backups... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rate The Qb Backups...

Slimm liked Fales alot coming out of college less the arm strength meaning imo the talent is there.
Fales was a 6th round pick.
Petty was a 4th round pick of the Jets a downtrodden franchise where players are overlooked or under develop which happens regularly at loosing framchises.
Brock has had how many high draft picks used on him. Denver with John Elway, the Texans then the Browns wow how many GMs can be wrong. There must be some inherent talent there.
Anyway all this jawimg about using a pick on a backup QB we really didn't have if we had spent a 4th, 6th or even a 2nd round pick on a rookie QB this year with no NFL experience do you really believe we would be any better off if RT fails somehow?

I still say Osweiler has his faults, but so do all backup qbs. If he didn't have the faults people point out he wouldn't be on the Dolphins roster on a cheap deal, he would be a starter somewhere. I think it's unrealistic to find a pure backup that is clean problem areas, the question is can you coach around the areas or at least minimize the impact.

I think that's an oversimplification. There are lots of backups in the league who could be reasonably counted on to come in and produce an effective game. I don't know if once Osweiler was figured out and his confidence damaged that he is capable of doing so.

My 2 cents on the subject says if you have a 6'7 qb throwing to a 5'11 or 6 foot receiver that is only 10 or 15 yards away I don't see where the height is really a factor. It does't take a rocket scientist to figure that a ball thrown from that height to the chest of a shorter receiver a short distance away has to travel at a trajectory that any 6'4 defensive lineman can easily bat down. It's not like he's getting passes with a high arch that are aimed 30 or 40 yards down the field batted. Imagine standing on one side of you living room and throwing a ball to your kid at the other end. Unless you're lobbing the ball it's not hard to imagine a person standing a few feet from you with their arms up, sometimes jumping, getting a hand on the ball sometimes. Batted passes are usually more of a problem of the oline allowing the defender to get his arms up than a problem of the quarterback throwing at the wrong trajectory.
I agree. I don't know exactly because I don't find any stats about it but I would guess that our defense is dead last in batting passes at the line of scrimmage.

it seem to me dolphins are scare bring in any qb that might be threat to thill17....
hhn.gif

I'm going with Fales in this instance.

The subtopic of Foles here is an interesting one. Being in the Philly market, it's hard to find a guy who got a raw deal and then a great redemption story like Nick Foles. He was *thoroughly* screwed up/over by Chip Kelly and moreso by Jeff Fisher. It just goes to show that proper coaching and setting someone up to succeed rather than fail is vastly important for the QB position.

A great quote from him:

"It doesn't get any bigger than this, but I felt good, I felt calm," Foles said. "I think the big thing that helped me was knowing that I didn't have to be Superman. I have amazing teammates, amazing coaches around me, and all I have to do is go play as hard as I could and play for one another, play for those guys and not look at the scoreboard, not look at the time. Just go out there and play. Don't worry about it, and came away with a victory."

I'm going with Fales in this instance.

The subtopic of Foles here is an interesting one. Being in the Philly market, it's hard to find a guy who got a raw deal and then a great redemption story like Nick Foles. He was *thoroughly* screwed up/over by Chip Kelly and moreso by Jeff Fisher. It just goes to show that proper coaching and setting someone up to succeed rather than fail is vastly important for the QB position.

A great quote from him:

"It doesn't get any bigger than this, but I felt good, I felt calm," Foles said. "I think the big thing that helped me was knowing that I didn't have to be Superman. I have amazing teammates, amazing coaches around me, and all I have to do is go play as hard as I could and play for one another, play for those guys and not look at the scoreboard, not look at the time. Just go out there and play. Don't worry about it, and came away with a victory."

I like Foles; always thought his troubles had more to do with Fisher than with his talent.

Here's a hypothetical: say RT goes down game 1, career ender, knee turns to jello. Obviously we'd be drafting a QB next year in the 1st.

Would it be so crazy to trade next year's 1st for Foles? I mean, at least you're guaranteed a SB winning QB. You draft a guy, there's a 50% chance he won't even be in the league four years from now. You'd also (possibly) have the benefit of not having to wait an entire year (or two) to not suck again.

Plus, who could stop us with a Foles/Fales tandem, amirite? :woot

I like Foles; always thought his troubles had more to do with Fisher than with his talent.

Here's a hypothetical: say RT goes down game 1, career ender, knee turns to jello. Obviously we'd be drafting a QB next year in the 1st.

Would it be so crazy to trade next year's 1st for Foles? I mean, at least you're guaranteed a SB winning QB. You draft a guy, there's a 50% chance he won't even be in the league four years from now. You'd also (possibly) have the benefit of not having to wait an entire year (or two) to not suck again.

Plus, who could stop us with a Foles/Fales tandem, amirite? :woot

Depends on who the coach is.

Nick Foles is a good thrower of the football and a good competitor. His problem is that he is known for being kind of dumb. When he came in for Wentz, he played like crap until the Eagles changed up their entire offense and reverted to a pretty simplified system. For that reason, I don't think he will ever be a good fit with Adam Gase.

Tannehill goes down I bet they bite the bullet.

Jets are smart they will cut josh Mccown and keep bridgewater with Darnold.

The days of bad qb play for the jets are over.

Depends on who the coach is.

Nick Foles is a good thrower of the football and a good competitor. His problem is that he is known for being kind of dumb. When he came in for Wentz, he played like crap until the Eagles changed up their entire offense and reverted to a pretty simplified system. For that reason, I don't think he will ever be a good fit with Adam Gase.

Can you provide some reference for this? That's the first time I've ever heard that about Foles.

Can you provide some reference for this? That's the first time I've ever heard that about Foles.

I'm not sure if Foles is dumb or not, but I will say this. At times he has been a tremendous passer in this league. He was tremendous for Chip Kelly but Kelly was an idiot who thought he could do anything with any players, so he destroyed that roster including Foles. That playoff run last year was one of the top passing postseasons ever. Foles definitely isn't a guy who can play in any system and have success, or else he would have in other systems he had a chance in.

Back
Top Bottom