Rate the Tank | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rate the Tank

Ted- I agree I just am trying to understand the Rosen deal- to trust leadership I guess. Was it just value based? I can’t make sense of it. Why not take McCoy and start building the OL for your 2020 QB.?

Young quarterbacks that are drafted as highly as Rosen are currency in the NFL.

They present so many options for you in terms of value, in addition to so many options in terms of improving your football team.

NFL front offices value backup quarterbacks much higher than fanbases do.

Rosen’s relatively cheap salary makes him a valuable piece that presents several options. You take a free shot that you can develop him and maybe he becomes a really good quarterback for your team. If not, even unremarkable QB’s hold value in the NFL. It’s a QB driven league.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 100 times - people here are making entirely too big of a deal out of Rosen in terms of the bigger picture.

They didn’t trade for him because they believed he was a franchise quarterback. They traded for him because Miami finally understands how the NFL works, and are placing proper value on the QB position.

Like I said before - Rosen may be totally insignificant when it’s all said and done. But it’s what the move represents that is much more significant.

Last edited:
Grier has done nothing but lift the franchise up since he's been in command
which certifiably happened post 2018 season (firing TBum and Gase the Fake).

Any shots at Grier prior to that date are either uninformed or agenda driven
IMO -- based on the prevailing facts that we all knew -- TBum and Gase superseded
the authority of Grier.

So Grier is handed the lordship and... Soon after, as a franchise, with Ross on board,
we're (suddenly no longer in show biz but) now serious about building a winning. sustainable
program.

What happens next? Brian Flores and his staff take over. Even the most jaded loser Dolphins
fans are impressed by the coaching composition he soon assembles. In addition Grier remakes
the personnel department and brings in PROVEN commodities like Marvin Allen and McKenzie.

Beyond that we have, by pretty much every measure, a very solid draft and land Rosen for
an R2 that we actually just time deferred 1 year.

Flash forward and by all measures we just had the best looking preseason since probably
the Shula years -- in terms of the TEAM looking fundamentally sound and playing inspired
team ball. I often wondered (shockingly) WHY we looked like the better prepared/coached
team? And then we're getting all this production from UDFAs and dudes from Canada and

LORD does any of this remotely resemble anything the punk Ireland could have assembled?
I do remember him and Ross chasing Hairball out in San Fran and then the Sparano implosion
followed by [whats his name]? oh yeah the brilliant Philbin and...

Cut the CRAP!
Let’s remember that Marvin Allen is considered an elite player evaluator.

People tend to give NFL GM’s and personnel executives too much credit in terms of talent evaluation. They’re not wizards and they don’t know anymore about what quarterbacks are going to pan out than anybody else does. That’s why they draft so many busts.

All that matters is that you find one that can be an elite player for you. It doesn’t matter how many shots you take to find one. Just find one.

The more irons you have in that fire the better. You have to find one or you won’t have a job. Period.

No idea, I do wonder if we're going to be able to reach the minimum cap next year. I suppose there will be the option to do a Browns and trade for an overpaid player to get a draft pick.

I do suddenly feel incredibly invested in Texans results though. Never really expected to say that

Im going to start this off with an apology, I've been going out of my way to try and convince anyone who would listen that there was no direction whatsoever with this team. Going after Clowney was such an idiodic idea in my opinion that I couldnt settle in and view the forest from the trees, or whatever the expression is.

Turns out the Fins werent after Clowney, it was Houston that were after Tunsil, and oh boy did they pay up!

That being said, draft data and trades being made prior is kind of messy. I cant figure out if any one team ever put themselves in a better situation than what the Fins have done this offseason. So I was kind of hoping I could lean on you guys memories and knowledge to give somewhat of an anwser...

While the Colts did put themselves in position for Luck, they didnt have that kind of ammo to surround him afterwards. The Browns come to mind but... they sort of tanked for 20 years before getting it right.... I ask you fellow Fins fans, was there ever a more glorious tank?
I'd give it a 9.5 on the Richter Scale... :chuckle:

giphy (4).gif

Grier has done nothing but lift the franchise up since he's been in command
which certifiably happened post 2018 season (firing TBum and Gase the Fake).

Any shots at Grier prior to that date are either uninformed or agenda driven
IMO -- based on the prevailing facts that we all knew -- TBum and Gase superseded
the authority of Grier.

So Grier is handed the lordship and... Soon after, as a franchise, with Ross on board,
we're (suddenly no longer in show biz but) now serious about building a winning. sustainable
program.

What happens next? Brian Flores and his staff take over. Even the most jaded loser Dolphins
fans are impressed by the coaching composition he soon assembles. In addition Grier remakes
the personnel department and brings in PROVEN commodities like Marvin Allen and McKenzie.

Beyond that we have, by pretty much every measure, a very solid draft and land Rosen for
an R2 that we actually just time deferred 1 year.

Flash forward and by all measures we just had the best looking preseason since probably
the Shula years -- in terms of the TEAM looking fundamentally sound and playing inspired
team ball. I often wondered (shockingly) WHY we looked like the better prepared/coached
team? And then we're getting all this production from UDFAs and dudes from Canada and

LORD does any of this remotely resemble anything the punk Ireland could have assembled?
I do remember him and Ross chasing Hairball out in San Fran and then the Sparano implosion
followed by [whats his name]? oh yeah the brilliant Philbin and...

Cut the CRAP!
Don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel! :up:

Looks pretty good so far. I'd give it a 4/5. I'm deducting half a point for keeping on the same GM who ran it into the ground in the first place, and half a point for the very disappointing decision to name Fitzpatrick the starter. Perhaps I'm being a little bit harsh on the team in light of this excellent trade today, but I am indeed really disappointed by the decision not to put Rosen in there as the starter. Let the kid play.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to inform you that this team is trying to make the playoffs in 2019, though.
So you would rather ruin Rosen by putting him out there against the Ravens? That is dumb very dumb. Also in this league you may need two good QB’s Incase of injury so it may be Rosen and Tua working with much better players next year.

I didn’t know Grier ‘s family posted on this board. Ya his 2017 draft was great. Oh that was gase is fault. I forgot.
No it was tannanbum. No it was Ross. Grier didn’t have anything to do with that draft. But he was sure great with the picks of Tunsil ,X, and fitz. Dude he even said he made the draft board for each draft after he was named gm. He had misses and some hits, but there is no agenda. The jury is still out on him. He isn’t above criticism.
He is not above criticism but the GM’s job is to get players that are aligned with what the head coach wants and needs. Once the direction is set by the brain trust the GM gets the players and works the salary cap.

Im not sure why people are even calling this a tank...this is what a miami dolphin roster looks like every year for the most part so if this is a tank the dolphins have been attempting a tank for at least 12 years...

i mean brian hartline was the #1 receiver at one point

Wannstedt trading away 1st round picks for Ricky was a smart move for him. Consider the players he probably would have taken...like Jamar Fletcher or Eddie Moore. The guy had no business in the draft room. Ricky Williams was his best 1st and 2nd round pick in all his years as a Dolphins head coach.
Want
Young quarterbacks that are drafted as highly as Rosen are currency in the NFL.

They present so many options for you in terms of value, in addition to so many options in terms of improving your football team.

NFL front offices value backup quarterbacks much higher than fanbases do.

Rosen’s relatively cheap salary makes him a valuable piece that presents several options. You take a free shot that you can develop him and maybe he becomes a really good quarterback for your team. If not, even unremarkable QB’s hold value in the NFL. It’s a QB driven league.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 100 times - people here are making entirely too big of a deal out of Rosen in terms of the bigger picture.

They didn’t trade for him because they believed he was a franchise quarterback. They traded for him because Miami finally understands how the NFL works, and are placing proper value on the QB position.

Like I said before - Rosen may be totally insignificant when it’s all said and done. But it’s what the move represents that is much more significant.
Educated response. Thanks.
Seems like value/cost based decision.

The only real obstacle at this point is a few other putrid teams for 2019.... so if you don’t get the top pick no matter what ammo you have, you obviously might not get ‘your’ guy.

That being said, you’re still set up to build a heck of a roster, just got t hit on a good amount of picks.

I think building a solid roster is almost half the battle when looking for a good QB, not sure by how much, but I really believe the situation these rookie QBs get dropped in matters a whole lot more than we think... Let me ask this guy...
People tend to give NFL GM’s and personnel executives too much credit in terms of talent evaluation. They’re not wizards and they don’t know anymore about what quarterbacks are going to pan out than anybody else does. That’s why they draft so many busts.

All that matters is that you find one that can be an elite player for you. It doesn’t matter how many shots you take to find one. Just find one.

The more irons you have in that fire the better. You have to find one or you won’t have a job. Period.

How much does the situation a rookie QB inherits affect his chance to be a successful NFL QB in your opinion?

Im going to start this off with an apology, I've been going out of my way to try and convince anyone who would listen that there was no direction whatsoever with this team. Going after Clowney was such an idiodic idea in my opinion that I couldnt settle in and view the forest from the trees, or whatever the expression is.

Turns out the Fins werent after Clowney, it was Houston that were after Tunsil, and oh boy did they pay up!

That being said, draft data and trades being made prior is kind of messy. I cant figure out if any one team ever put themselves in a better situation than what the Fins have done this offseason. So I was kind of hoping I could lean on you guys memories and knowledge to give somewhat of an anwser...

While the Colts did put themselves in position for Luck, they didnt have that kind of ammo to surround him afterwards. The Browns come to mind but... they sort of tanked for 20 years before getting it right.... I ask you fellow Fins fans, was there ever a more glorious tank?

So, nearest comparison is the Browns

2015 Browns had a 1 1 2 3 3.
2016 1 2 3 3 3
2017 1 1 1 2 3
2018 1 1 2 2 3

That’s 8 1’s 6 2’s and 7 3’s in a 5 year period. They got some great players with many of those picks. What I would say, is they didn’t get their Franchise QB until 2018, so maybe our rebuild will only take 2 or 3 years instead of 5?

Here’s where we are so far:

Dolphins 2020 1 1 2 2 3 3
Dolphins 2021 1 1 2 2 3

So that’s pretty impressive and we have Rosen on the roster right now whom if he doesn’t get killed behind this line will be in a nice position to compete with whomever we draft at the top of 2020. We will likely not have to trade for our QB, and we have quite a bit of ammunition to fill tons of holes on the roster, not to mention plenty of cap space for free agents.

Back
Top Bottom