RAY LUCAS'S Throwing Style | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RAY LUCAS'S Throwing Style

Chubby

SUPERFAN
Reaction score
I have never been a QB, so i really dont know. Is there something wrong with Lucas's Throwing Mechanics, He has a tendancy to drift the ball down toward the ground, is it just him making a safe low throw or is it his mechanics?:goof:

Originally posted by Chubby
I have never been a QB, so i really dont know. Is there something wrong with Lucas's Throwing Mechanics, He has a tendancy to drift the ball down toward the ground, is it just him making a safe low throw or is it his mechanics?:goof:

Yep..its called leading/guiding the ball...or something like that.

Lucas always had the knock of lack of touch and accuracy (especialy from me). I have not seen anything from him in two years of camps and pre-season which made me believe that he is a starting QB. For a long time I was standing all alone against the Fiedler bashers. Now, everybody has seen it and are joining those few of us who had that opinion a long time ago.

He may have a rocket arm. This would help him only if we dump our offense down like the jets did and give him a lot of balls he can throw just high up and up for grabs for the receivers. Of course he had Keyshawn in 99 and that is Keyshawns game.

I remember a pre-season game from 2001 in which the dlphins called a pass play (I believe against GB but I am not sure) from the 5 yard line. He riffled the ball into Goodwins chest like a bullet. Goodwin was only 2 yards into the endzone so the pass had to be thrown a mere 10 yards max. Goodwin dropped that ball and you could hear the impact all the way up into the stands.

Goodwin almost passed out and he was a big guy. You should have seen Goodwin's perplex look after he dropped that pass. He was like "what the f****, you wanna break my chest bones".

Lucas knocks were always: lack of touch, lack of accuracy, lack of leadership, lack to comprehend a whole playbook.

He has a lot of fire and heart but when things go wrong or not his way he loses composure. A good QB shows his leadership right then and there. When you are winning its easy to have leadership but when things do not go your way you need someone who lifts everybody up.

Lucas had it easy so far, playing at home and in GB - from a fans point of view.

But can you see the mocking coming from the stands in NY or Buffalo when something goes wrong...Oh my..he might fall completly apart.

Ray definately has a strong arm, but that doesnt help him if he cant make the short pass, which has been our bread and butter this year, passes to RB,FB,TE

but he's a good runner :rolleyes:

He is can probably make the 50 yard pass better than any other QB on a roster, but everything shorter than that.... :evil:

Keep in mind that I've never been officially a quarterback at any level of football in my life, but...

Ray Lucas' mechanics in general are about as bad as you get at the professional level. And I do mean everything about his game, from simply accepting the snap and dropping back, to handing off, to his touch on short throws, to his arm-motion on intermediate and long throws.

The problem in my opinion is that first off when the lights come on he gets far too excited. This means he completely forgets to be mindful of his pass mechanics...and it means his passes will go floating on him or they will take Randall Cunningham style one-hoppers on the ground...frequently. I'm not even gonna get into how it can screw up decision making. Bill Parcells would back me up on that first point. The second problem is something I'll defer to and say I'm not absolutely certain I'm right but for some odd reason he always seems to be pushing the ball too hard. What I think might be the problem there is, he's got a heck of a throw and a lot of velocity on his throws...but he doesn't have a heck of an arm. So, he's always trying to throw TOO hard, in my opinion...whether it be short or long or whatever and once again this leads to bad mechanics and Randall Cunningham style one-hoppers off the turf at the feet of the receiver. The best explanation I can come up with is that knowing his low pedigree (rutgers...undrafted...special teams player) and his talent limitations, the last thing he needs is to not have a strong arm in the NFL because then he'd be discarded like yesterdays garbage. So, he fires every ball at 110%. That seems like too simple of an explanation to me, but it would explain why his arm gets tired very quickly (see this preseason when Jay Fiedler went down with injury....Lucas was missing practice and icing his shoulder every other hour just because he was taking a starters practice load).

I remember that pass FFiB.I saw it on tv.I remember wondering what he must have been thinking to throw that thing so hard.I hope his game finally shows up this week, if he has any at all.

He throws the ball like hes trying to throw it 500 yards, he does this when he is 5 yards from the person. He's a f'ing nut. He tried to throw it so hard one play in Greenbay he couldnt even hold onto it, it popped right out.:yell:

Thats what I'm saying. My instinct on it is that in actuality his arm isn't very good, and he's pushing it too hard in order to compensate and make sure he gets plenty of pop in the mitt. His arm gets tired easy because of it.

he can throw a bullet but not as accurate. Fiedler throws a RAAAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNBBBBBOOOOOWWWW but he's accurate and gets the job done.

Agree with most of the other ppl here. His mechanics are questionable. In two games, I have seen:

1. Happy Feet - Looks nervous in the pocket
  2. Pocket Prescence - Doesn't have the same pocket prescence that Jay has... Ray, you're supposed to avoid the rush not step into it
  3. Locks on to receiver - Telegraphs the throw... Ray, deception is the name of the game here
  4. Rumbling, bumbling, and stumbling - How many times is he going to trip coming out from under center? We saw it again in the GB game. It doesn't happen to Jay and the center is still the same. Maybe he should just stay in shotgun...
    [/list=1]

Having said this, I may be overanalyzing. Its pretty easy to critique when u don't have to play and be under the gun. I think he's just trying to do too much. Let the game come to him and let the playmakers around him (Ricky, Randy, Chris, and Cris) do thier thing. Any comments?

It's called having to...

... think while he's in the pocket, and reading his prgressions thru the system. Lucas is not a system QB, and he will suffer as long they ask him to run a NFL caliber system.

Maybe they should just start letting him draw the plays in the dirt like he did when he was starting for the Yets!

Oliver...

95% of the throws in the NFL...

... do not require a rocket arm. What 95% of throws require is a QB that can throw the ball with good veloicity with arc. Lucas can't or won't do this.

Like his Sharper INT/TD in Greenbay, the guy tried to fit the ball threw a 1 inch space to get it thru triple coverage. A good QB (a guy like Fiedler) makes the same throw with arc and gets a TD out of it. Well Lucas got a TD, the wrong way!

Oliver...

Ray definately has a strong arm, but that doesnt help him if he cant make the short pass, which has been our bread and butter this year, passes to RB,FB,TE

You're suppose to throw a rainbow!

... I've been telling you guys this for years! A NFL QB is suppose to put arc on a deep ball to get the ball over NFL coverages. With cover 2 being employed by most teams there is no other way to throw a deep ball. You have to get it over the under coverage who are LB's and then drop it in before the deep coverage the DB's can INT it. It's not an easy thing to do.

Fiedler has the arm to throw the ball 50-yards on a rope, we've all seen him do this. What Fiedler is, he's coachable and Lucas is not. I can hear Shula telling Lucas after each practice remember to put some air under the deep ball, that's what we want you to do. You think Lucas is going to start to do it right after not doing it right for 5-years?

Oliver...

Originally posted by ronnie_augs
he can throw a bullet but not as accurate. Fiedler throws a RAAAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNBBBBBOOOOOWWWW but he's accurate and gets the job done.

I brought this up in another post about his mechanics and was thinking the same thing. Someone brought up the point about him stepping into the pressure. That is absolutely true. Towards the end of the Green Bay game he had a lot of balls tipped because he kept stepping up in the pocket and couldn't get any time to get air under his throws and were subsequently, knocked down.

Back
Top Bottom