RB by commitee...Can it work??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB by commitee...Can it work???

phins054

Pitbull
Reaction score
They have a thread over on BBI about Henry being the ONE...:lol:

Anyways...one of them mentioned the rb by commitee theory and i immediately remembered the good 'ol days when we did that...then i gave it a little more thought.

RB by commitee approach just doesn't work. We had that in Miami during the Dan years, and even though as a team we may have rushed for about 100 yds a game, we ALL know it always came down to Dans arm.

However...it is interesting to point out that in72 we had 2 1000yd backs in Csonka and Morris. That was a run by commitee offense....I guess the difference comes down to a run block vs. pass block philosophy on the O-line...

When you think of 72...it was a rb by commitee approach wasn't it?

Just curious to what your thoughts would be...:D

I don't know if '72 was a run by commitee approach... it was more the fact that Morris could run past you, and Csonka could run over you. Sort of what TB really wanted out of Alstott and Dunn (except Dunn never performed as expected). With Csonka, Morris... and don't forget Kiick, in the backfield, and Griese throwing to the likes of Warfield... the Defense never knew who to key on... it would take 3 defenders to bring Csonka down, once he got a head of steam... not many of them could catch Morris, and Kiick was awesome at breaking tackles.... no team since has had that much talent in the backfield all at once.. it was a beautiful thing to watch...

RB by committee can work if you have a great OL and no RB that stands out. For Miami - neither is true.

Runningback-by-committee Pros and Cons.

Pros: Takes a load of off Ricky Wiliams which helps in preventing injury; Ricky Williams won't reach anough yards for us to give up a number one draft pick. Throws other Defenses off when scouting us week-by-week.

Cons: Fantasy value will drop for Ricky(this is selfish, but I had to had it), Decreases chance of Pro-Bowl entrance, Running game can start slowly(most runningbacks take 8-10 carries to get into the game, by R-B-C, this will throw off our RBs)

Please feel free to add to what I have posted!!

Originally posted by chambers84
Please feel free to add to what I have posted!!
Norv has never used it: see E Smith, S Davis and LT

The thing that makes Csonka and Morris NOT a committee was that Morris was the RB and Csonka was the FB. They were always on the field at the same time all game long. Just like Alstott and Dunn. RB/FB. Nothing "committee" about it.

RB-by-Committee is just that: RBs subbing for one another.

Originally posted by Muck
The thing that makes Csonka and Morris NOT a committee was that Morris was the RB and Csonka was the FB. They were always on the field at the same time all game long. Just like Alstott and Dunn. RB/FB. Nothing "committee" about it.

but then throw in Kiick and the fact the Czonka was the featured back often and it is a "special" form of committee though not the classic one like the Ravens used last year ag. us :cry:

I agree with the statement that Csonka and Morris do not equal RB by Committee. Kiick was a reliever to give Csonka and Morris a rest.

Sorry Muck...I don't necessarily agree with that statement. I understand the logic, but I think there is also another way to define a commitee.

When you count the # of carries a back...whether FB or HB has in a game, say for example Csonka has 17 for 90yds and Morris has 12 for 70yds a team has the desired effect from rushing attack. Now in a conventional O where a FB is LUCKY to get 2-4 carries if that in a game and the feature RB has 20+ carries for 120 yds...that is not a commitee.

Basicly my point is that if 2 or more RBs are getting a decent # of carries, then that is a commitee, regardless if they are on the field at the same time or not.

We actually have a situation where we can do RBC..Minor was interesting last year..I would like to see what he could do with more touches of the ball..Have to see Edwards again before I can comment on him..he was really good with NE...Ricky can run over people like Zonka..but Zonka needed 3 to 4 guys to bring him down..not should Ricky is that devastating..I also can't wait to see the rookie Leonard in preseason..I still think this guy might be a steal in the 7th round.

I guess I see Tampa and the '72 team as a "Running GAME by Committee". I feel a "RB by Committee" doesn't include the guy that lines up at FB (in front of the RB). Now if he's getting lots of those carries in a singleback formation, then maybe that could qualify.

I don't like the R-B-C, it's too often misused, and it takees some time for a RB to adjust to a game. Let's just stick with Ricky and, occasionally bring in Miner, Henry etc. Hell Put Chris Chambers back there!!

Runninback by committee can work. Ask Jon Gruden. He's fielded excellent running games in Oakland ever since he's been there and they've all been a committee approach....and they ended up leading the LEAGUE in rushing in a lot of those years. Ask Giants fans if it can work. The thunder-lightning attack of Barber and Dayne was working extremely well for a year. Ask Kansas City fans if it works. About 4-5 years ago they led the league in rushing with a committee of nameless runningbacks behind a massive OL. Speaking of the Bills a few years ago I believe in 2000 they had more rushing yards than the Phins did with Lamar Smith and the Bills were using a committee approach with Antowain, Linton, and Sammy Morris.

The committee approach is what you do pretty much if you don't have a guy that can handle the load on his own, and committee approaches can actually lead to more rushing yards total than rushing attacks that feature even pro bowlers at RB. But that doesn't mean they are better. Because a single back carrying the load, and able to carry the load, is often more consistent than a committee is, more dependable, and has more ability to plan with.

And if you don't think Norv's used a runningback by committee before, then you haven't been following the Redskins all that long. There were a few years where Terry Allen was waning and couldn't handle the load and Norv sapped away carries from him. Skip Hicks got a lot of those one year and I believe came away with like 500 yards.

I for one would be disappointed if, after acquiring Ricky Williams to be our feature back, we get a RBC. Williams is a feature back, a workhorse. Sure he needs a breather and we have adequate backups while he takes those breathers, but they are not adequate enough to be the "other" back.

I agree with SoFla; Williams is the kind of back that gets better towards the end of the game not b/c of his superior conditioning but b/c the defense is getting tired due to bringing down his 250+(?) load 25 times a game. Minor will not have the same effect. I think Minor is a great back and will contribute quite a bit ... but not as a rbc. I would rather see an O-Line by committee.

Its gonna be interesting to see how Norv distributes the balls to all of the miami's talent.

Back
Top Bottom