RB- concern | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB- concern

Thats the way SF operated under Shanahan and McDaniel... Well... Thats the way the whole NFL kind of operates when it comes to RBs... Mostly... And lets face it, its not like SF were this great running team, they were pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to YPC or even big plays out of it... They were simply good enough to be able to run very often -> which in turn made opponents have to go single high -> which in turn created more space for a guy like Jimmy to be able to finish 2nd in YPA... Yeah I know... Unbe****inglievable.

Thats the way SF operated under Shanahan and McDaniel... Well... Thats the way the whole NFL kind of operates when it comes to RBs... Mostly... And lets face it, its not like SF were this great running team, they were pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to YPC or even big plays out of it... They were simply good enough to be able to run very often -> which in turn made opponents have to go single high -> which in turn created more space for a guy like Jimmy to be able to finish 2nd in YPA... Yeah I know... Unbe****inglievable.
Agreed. I think a lot of peeps who think we are going to a run heavy, smash mouth attack are in for a surprise. McD has stated that the importance and point of being able to run efficiently is to manipulate the defense, and leave them susceptible to the pass.

Agreed. I think a lot of peeps who think we are going to a run heavy, smash mouth attack are in for a surprise. McD has stated that the importance and point of being able to run efficiently is to manipulate the defense, and leave them susceptible to the pass.
He basically said word for word you run the ball to buy single highs...

This could be a good group. Some interesting skill sets. Edmunds is an excellent receiver. Mostert is a big-play threat. Michel can get the tough yards and block.

Gaskin could be the odd man out. I think White has a lot of upside.

It boggles the mind how some still yearn for the Woody Hayes 3 yd and a cloud of dust philosophy.

I admit that I am not that impressed with Edmonds (he seems small)….however, I am excited about the RB group as a whole.

Michel is solid - not sure why teams keep dropping him, the kid produces.

Mostert looked awesome a few years ago - not sure if he will make it through the entire year.

White - I'd like to see him make the roster, but I doubt he will.

Gaskins - will probably be released. Love his attitude though, but might not be good enough.

Doaks - PS or released. I think he is done here.

Hopefully we will be able to run effectively this year.

Last year's rushing leaders:

1) Jonathan Taylor, 1811 yards
2) Nick Chubb 1259 yards
3) Joe Mixon 1205 yards
4) Najee Harris 1200 yards
5) Dalvin Cook 1159 yards
6) Antonio Gibson 1037 yards
7) Zeke Elliott 1002 yards

Only 7 over 1000 yards in the entire NFL... Taylor played for a team with a poor passing attack. Gibson's team was awful. Chubb shares snaps. Harris and Pittsburgh were just average. Cook's team was average. Mixon benefited from his team's passing offense and Zeke... well, he's winding down and has never seen a Super Bowl.

If there is a case here for a bell cow, it might... might be Mixon, but no one expected them to go as far as they did.

This is an era of multiple backs..
Period.

Last year's rushing leaders:

1) Jonathan Taylor, 1811 yards
2) Nick Chubb 1259 yards
3) Joe Mixon 1205 yards
4) Najee Harris 1200 yards
5) Dalvin Cook 1159 yards
6) Antonio Gibson 1037 yards
7) Zeke Elliott 1002 yards

Only 7 over 1000 yards in the entire NFL... Taylor played for a team with a poor passing attack. Gibson's team was awful. Chubb shares snaps. Harris and Pittsburgh were just average. Cook's team was average. Mixon benefited from his team's passing offense and Zeke... well, he's winding down and has never seen a Super Bowl.

If there is a case here for a bell cow, it might... might be Mixon, but no one expected them to go as far as they did.

This is an era of multiple backs..
Period.
I do not understand why ppl don't see it. The last "bellcow" to take his team to a championship was almost a decade ago. When was the time before that?

It just isn't that important in the recipe for a championship team.

I do not understand why ppl don't see it. The last "bellcow" to take his team to a championship was almost a decade ago. When was the time before that?

It just isn't that important in the recipe for a championship team.
I think it comes down to a societal worship of the word, "starter".

We see the same thing in the three-down linebacker threads. So many people longing for the wing T and leather helmets.

Sadly... if we had this type of player, most folks would say we were boring... just as they would have if we would have built a Tennessee style offense for Tannehill.

You can look totals all you want but the fact is all 3 rbs we brought in have all been high efficiency averages their entire career and that’s what they’ll continue to be asked to do is provide 5-10 high efficiency touches per game.

Agreed. CMC, Henry, Cook, Ekeler, Taylor, and Najee are the only givens as one backs.
CMC-injury prone
Cook-injury prone
Henry- wouldn’t say he’s prone but his team went from probably the afc favorite to average when he got hurt.

Ekeler, Taylor and Najee haven’t been around long enough but only a matter of time before wear and tear takes toll. These teams depend on these rbs and when they eventually go down they become a completely different team. This is why rb by committee is a thing. Keeps guys going longer and less dependable on one player.

It boggles the mind how some still yearn for the Woody Hayes 3 yd and a cloud of dust philosophy.
Never looked at it like that myself ... I remember Jeff Fishers offense ... boring as hell......

Without the threat of a running game you have no shot at being successful on offense consistently... no running game and you will have sacks and int's as your highlights with the high probability of your 2nd string Qb ...

Having a superior back in your backfield only helps your passing game.

Back
Top Bottom