RB- concern | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB- concern

We can have an opinion on talent level and fit without being at this camp. And the salary consideration is huge too. We can make an honest, informed judgement on those factors.
True to an extent, but I'm not sure you can get a complete picture. As an example you suggest "fit". Since we can only speculate on what his role might theoretically entail, I have doubts about how solid of a foundation that speculation would really have.

If you are just going by collegiate performance, Gaskin's college career blows White's away. Neither are particularly fast, nor do they break many tackles.

As to the salary, Huge is a bit of an overstatement, but no doubt could be a factor. I stated in another post, All other things being equal, you keep the cheaper guy. If the staff sees upside potential, and are concerned about White being "poached", that might be another factor.

I'm not beating the drum for Gaskin. I think it's likely Gaskin gets waived and White ends up on the PS.

All I'm arguing is that the White hype seems more like wishful thinking than concrete objective analysis. I mean the guy did go undrafted, and Gaskin has an experience edge for sure. Either way, expecting either of them to somehow explode on the NFL scene this year as an impactful, high usage player is something I just don't believe.

I'm not passing any long term judgement on White here, just that those expecting him to be a highly "surprise" impact player (which is exactly what was purported) seems premature and unfounded.

True to an extent, but I'm not sure you can get a complete picture. As an example you suggest "fit". Since we can only speculate on what his role might theoretically entail, I have doubts about how solid of a foundation that speculation would really have.

If you are just going by collegiate performance, Gaskin's college career blows White's away. Neither are particularly fast, nor do they break many tackles.

As to the salary, Huge is a bit of an overstatement, but no doubt could be a factor. I stated in another post, All other things being equal, you keep the cheaper guy. If the staff sees upside potential, and are concerned about White being "poached", that might be another factor.

I'm not beating the drum for Gaskin. I think it's likely Gaskin gets waived and White ends up on the PS.

All I'm arguing is that the White hype seems more like wishful thinking than concrete objective analysis. I mean the guy did go undrafted, and Gaskin has an experience edge for sure. Either way, expecting either of them to somehow explode on the NFL scene this year as an impactful, high usage player is something I just don't believe.

I'm not passing any long term judgement on White here, just that those expecting him to be a highly "surprise" impact player (which is exactly what was purported) seems premature and unfounded.
From a talent evaluation stand point (which usually has very little to do with stats), Gaskin does not blow White out of the water. White is the more explosive athlete and the more decisive runner. You can obviously see that by watching film.

I also could care less where both players were drafted. We heard from the Senior Bowl Director that some teams had White as a 4th round prospect. Nobody would have have been shocked if Miami had taken White in the 4th round.

I personally am not that high on White. I don't see him as special. But you don't have to be special to be a better runner, better fit and cheaper than Gaskin.

If Mostert stays healthy he might be a diamond in the rough for this squad with his ability to hit the home run. Edmonds will play a big role in the passing game when he's in as well. Michel should provide good depth at the least. I fully expect Miami to draft a rb in the 1st rd next year...but Mostert could be the guy with all the attention on the passing game

I think we could get a very late draft pick in exchange for Gaskin. It wouldn't be much, but it would give him a new chance and let us clear the decks for the new guys.

That said... if we don't move him; it might just be because the new coaches think he has a role.

Damn with everything that went down this off-season I forgot they signed Sony Michel lol

Did you include the Mostert playoff yardage because that was impressive? Either way, I think we are looking at RBBC. Put those stats together--particularly in terms of YPA--and it's a huge improvement over last year.

I agree that it will really come down to the O-Line. If they produce, this offense has a real chance....The guy who is the concern is Austin Jackson. But his issues have been recognition and getting beaten off the snap in terms of technique. If the coaches can get him to understand his reads better and get his technique cleaned up off the snap, he has physical ability. But, if he is bombing, we need to look at Hunt at RT, Robert Jones, or Dietsch. You can't let him de-rail the year. Hopefully with better coaching, our O line is more cohesive.
Didn’t Duke average about 4.5 yards?

We're going to be fine.

We have speed. We have depth. We have a better O-Line. We have a passing attack that will keep defenses from crowding the box. We have speed. We have juke. We have power. We've got RBs that can pass protect AND can catch the ball.

Also, that 4.2 might not seem like a lot, but, in three downs, that moves the chains.

We're going to be fine.

If Mostert stays healthy he might be a diamond in the rough for this squad with his ability to hit the home run. Edmonds will play a big role in the passing game when he's in as well. Michel should provide good depth at the least. I fully expect Miami to draft a rb in the 1st rd next year...but Mostert could be the guy with all the attention on the passing game
i don't think you'll ever see us drafting a RB in the first round?

we just don't seem to operate that way.

maybe if it was the love child of Barry Sanders and Jim Brown, and we knew that in advance somehow?

14th ranked by salary. Hoping he plays commensurate with his salary ranking.
he is going to kill that.

even without pads he was going HAM yesterday (with no Armstead).

and his secret super power is when the pads go on.

Hard to call a guy on the wrong side of 30 a diamond in the rough.

I also seriously doubt we are drafting RB rd1. Just not a great value either as a position, nor as a rookie contract.

Back
Top Bottom