RB? Flo knows better. | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB? Flo knows better.

Flo is 21 century coach. He realize RB is no longer the centerpiece of the offense. Nowaday is all about big plays, QB and WR. Running is only a minor aspect of the offense that keep the defense honest. There is nothing wrong with RB by committee. You can always get a serviceable RB in day 3. Love his picks first two nights. RB tomorrow.
I agree w this to an extent but it would be ideal if any of those committee backs were just a little bit faster / quicker.

Cutting McCain before we are 100% sure that Holland is ready would be... if not foolhardy, at least 'risky'.

Holland didn't play last year and was only a true sophomore when he did play last. Assuming that he is NFL ready after that? I don't think Flo is that kind of coach.
Not only that, but McCain earned a big contract for how he played in the slot. Perhaps we can put him back there.

How about Brian Hill? He had 4.7 ypc last season

I agree. It would be very risky since McCain is qb of secondary.
I love Holland but some of these not so popular players or players that we all want replaced might actually be needed and Flores recognizes that. So that is when we have to really trust Flores. Not just when they don’t draft a running back and that person / fan. personally agrees or whatever .
One more year for McCain and Rowe... I think McCain starts for now while Holland plays reserve and dime back snaps. Then McCain will be released next year.

Rowe may be eclipsed by Brandon Jones THIS year. I think Jones will be given the chance to unseat Rowe in training camp. He may not manage it, but I'm betting that this will be THE battle in this year's camp. If Rowe is cut or traded during camp, we'd save 5M.

One more year for McCain and Rowe... I think McCain starts for now while Holland plays reserve and dime back snaps. Then McCain will be released next year.

Rowe may be eclipsed by Brandon Jones THIS year. I think Jones will be given the chance to unseat Rowe in training camp. He may not manage it, but I'm betting that this will be THE battle in this year's camp. If Rowe is cut or traded during camp, we'd save 5M.
I agree
That’s how it will play out.

I am concerned about Jones in coverage. Rowe is really good against most tight ends. I am not sure Jones is going to be that good against tight ends but he could surprise me. They tried giving Jones reps in place pd Rowe at start of last year but then settled on Rowe. Jones got his reps other ways. I like Jones but I have nightmares of tight ends killing us in the past. Rowe has helped with that except against chiefs abd raiders. Those are two too tight ends. I will cut him some slack there lol

Flo is 21 century coach. He realize RB is no longer the centerpiece of the offense. Nowaday is all about big plays, QB and WR. Running is only a minor aspect of the offense that keep the defense honest. There is nothing wrong with RB by committee. You can always get a serviceable RB in day 3. Love his picks first two nights. RB tomorrow.
Don’t believe any of it. Denver jumped ahead because they understand RB importance.

I agree
That’s how it will play out.

I am concerned about Jones in coverage. Rowe is really good against most tight ends. I am not sure Jones is going to be that good against tight ends but he could surprise me. They tried giving Jones reps in place pd Rowe at start of last year but then settled on Rowe. Jones got his reps other ways. I like Jones but I have nightmares of tight ends killing us in the past. Rowe has helped with that except against chiefs abd raiders. Those are two too tight ends. I will cut him some slack there lol
If Jones doesn't win the job this year, then he'll begin to be viewed as a mistaken pick. Back up safeties are pretty cheap and if that's all we get out of a 3rd round pick... he will have to go on the 'miss' list.

Don’t believe any of it. Denver jumped ahead because they understand RB importance.
Apples and oranges. Denver is a cold weather team. Different offensive philosophy.

You don't have to believe it. Flo and Grier believe it. Thats all that matters.

Last edited:
The numbers don’t speak for themself. Jacobs averages less total yards a game than Gaskin. Averaged less yards per carry than Gaskin.

The numbers are speaking and saying you’re wrong.
Yet he still outgained Gaskin in yards and TDs. I wonder why that is.

Yet he still outgained Gaskin in yards and TDs. I wonder why that is.

And Jameis Winston is a top QB too right. On account of his yards his last year as a starter.

Efficiency matters.

BTW, Jacobs is better. The point of my posts in this thread were pointing to the fact that the offensive line has more importance on the run game than the RB. And Jacobs stats prove that.

How often does an RB touch the ball 15 times a game? Add in pass protection.....Add in the fact we have an RPO offensive and we don't have a running back that demands respect.....

I get that the Dolphins had higher rated players on the board at 18, and 36 but there is just no way that all this bargain basement running back strategy is optimal. Gaskin is a decent back, but he has limitations.
Can he get a yard on 3rd and 1? Can he score on the goal line?

At a high level it makes sense not to spend a ton of resources on a running back, but elite talent matters. Alvin Kamara, Mcafferty, Derrick Henry are all players that add something beyond your average running back.

Part of the reaction to not drafting a running back is that its easy to see why Najee Harris is really valuable, you can't watch college football and not notice him.

How many people understand how good Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland are? Are they going to be more impactful than Najee Harris and Javonte Williams respectively?

We don't know how this will all play out until the season starts and we can see what the Dolphins running scheme is, how much better or worse the o-line is....Did Gaskin improve? etc.

How often does an RB touch the ball 15 times a game? Add in pass protection.....Add in the fact we have an RPO offensive and we don't have a running back that demands respect.....

I get that the Dolphins had higher rated players on the board at 18, and 36 but there is just no way that all this bargain basement running back strategy is optimal. Gaskin is a decent back, but he has limitations.
Can he get a yard on 3rd and 1? Can he score on the goal line?

At a high level it makes sense not to spend a ton of resources on a running back, but elite talent matters. Alvin Kamara, Mcafferty, Derrick Henry are all players that add something beyond your average running back.

Part of the reaction to not drafting a running back is that its easy to see why Najee Harris is really valuable, you can't watch college football and not notice him.

How many people understand how good Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland are? Are they going to be more impactful than Najee Harris and Javonte Williams respectively?

We don't know how this will all play out until the season starts and we can see what the Dolphins running scheme is, how much better or worse the o-line is....Did Gaskin improve? etc.
"RPO offensive line" doesn't make sense because there is no such thing.

Gaskin can actually get a yard on 3rd and 1. In fact he got 68 on 3rd and 8 against Vegas.

Elite talent doesn't matter at RB. Look at the past few super bowls. Thier were four first round rbs in them. Sony Michel a bust, Todd Gurley who couldn't even play because his knees were all used up, fournette who had been cut because his father year option was too high and he wasn't producing, and CEH who had no i.pact on the chiefs success.

Among the other RBs on the field there was James white, Rex burkhead, Ronald Jones, Damien Williams, CJ Anderson, Raheem mostert etc. All guys who served a variety of roles and were not high round selections. In fact james white was a super bowl hero and he is far from the best rb in the league.

Of course the casual fan notices najee Harris. But did you notice the holes and openings Sarkisian designed for him. The dominant set of recievers who kept the secondary back. Harris is good but he was only part of the equation.

The dolphins don't need people to understand how good Phillips and Holland are. In the past two super bowls it was the quarterbacks and defenses that decided the game at the end.

TB/KC won the past two sessions in part because of the play of thier defense and qbs. In the la/ne super bowl the rams didn't lose because Gurley's knees were shot. They lost because goff couldn't make a single play and wasted an epic effort by the rams defense. As you see it doesn't matter what the fans think makes the biggest impact in a team's success.

It doesn’t justify taking a TE in round 3 over Quinn Meinerz.
Stop with QM.

The dude played very inferior competition in college, and it wasn't even at center.

Ppl got all wound up on that solely because of the Senior Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom