RB is priority #1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB is priority #1

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
seems like all the talk is about Ricky, but several HBs are the hottest topic on WannSpiel's tables:
  • Robert Edwards to visit either Monday or Tuesday
  • Agents for Tampa Bay running back Warrick Dunn, San Francisco running back Garrison Hearst and Chicago running back James Allen have inquired
  • The agents for Baltimore tackle Leon Searcy and New York Giants guard Ron Stone have inquired and Searcy could make a visit late next week.
  • Talks are ongoing with New Orleans regarding tailback Ricky Williams, but the Dolphins aren't banking on such a deal.
  • Talks have heated up with Carolina defensive tackle Larry Chester to the point where a deal could be imminent;
  • The agent for Jets safety Victor Green has contacted the Dolphins.

Edwards and Chester would be great signings if we can get them cheap since they would add much needed depth to help do the 2 things that win sB rings: running the ball and stopping the run.

source:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-dolfree030202.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...olphins02mar02.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Phins Talking To Agents Of desirable Free Agents ))

The F- Sentinel is reporting that the Phins have been in discussions with the agents of DT - Larry Chester (Carolina), S - Corey Chavos ( Arizona), and DE - Chukie Nwokorie (Colts) . A deal with L- Chester looks very promising, It looks like deals with Brohmel and Mixon are at an impasse and Wanny - Speilman are not kissing butt. Corey Chavous would be a definite upgrade but I would also still like to have B- Walker back in the secondary with him. Nwokorie is a mystery, I don't remember seeing him along thier line. The Sentinel is also reporting that R - Stone and Leon Searcy has drawn some interest from Miami, Stone will cost way too much and maybe Searcy is a possibility at the veterans minimum depending on his health !! The agents for Garrison Hearst, Warrick Dunn, Olandis Gary, James Allen, and Robert Edwards have all been in contact with WannSpeil,, the only backs that I would have an interest in is Dunn and Allen, the other three I would seriously question if they could take a 8 or 10 game pounding let alone a 16 game pounding... Marino1983 :D :D

Warrick Dunn ??? Why is his agent calling us???

Nice post dolphan39. Couldn't agree more.

I need some help though on this Warrick Dunn stuff. Actually, I need help with this diminutive RB as our possible starter for the upcoming season stuff. Miami needs a starting RB for next season. That's a clear-cut fact. Half of the articles, posts, mock drafts and the like have us using Travis Minor, drafting Clinton Portis or signing Warrick Dunn for filling that role. Together they don't add up to a RB that Norv Turner wants (and needs) IMO.

Can someone explain why the so called experts and educated fans alike are looking forward to the opportunity for our beloved Dolphins to enter next season with a 'smurf' and not a 'bruiser' at the critical starting RB spot? Cause I just don't get it......

Originally posted by dolphan39
seems like all the talk is about Ricky, but several HBs are the hottest topic on WannSpiel's tables:
  • Robert Edwards to visit either Monday or Tuesday
  • Agents for Tampa Bay running back Warrick Dunn, San Francisco running back Garrison Hearst and Chicago running back James Allen have inquired
  • The agents for Baltimore tackle Leon Searcy and New York Giants guard Ron Stone have inquired and Searcy could make a visit late next week.
  • Talks are ongoing with New Orleans regarding tailback Ricky Williams, but the Dolphins aren't banking on such a deal.
  • Talks have heated up with Carolina defensive tackle Larry Chester to the point where a deal could be imminent;
  • The agent for Jets safety Victor Green has contacted the Dolphins.

Edwards and Chester would be great signings if we can get them cheap since they would add much needed depth to help do the 2 things that win sB rings: running the ball and stopping the run.

source:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-dolfree030202.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...olphins02mar02.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front
I personally feel the upgrade is needed more on the offensive line, than in the backfield!! The R- W's deal has all but fizzeled out and I really doubt either side will back down. Mami is being very aggressive in the beginning stages of F-A this year, which tells me that there is still more house cleaning to be expected this off season.. Marino1983:cool: :cool:

Re: Warrick Dunn ??? Why is his agent calling us???

Originally posted by Canuck

I need some help though on this Warrick Dunn stuff. Actually, I need help with this diminutive RB as our possible starter for the upcoming season stuff. Miami needs a starting RB for next season. That's a clear-cut fact. Half of the articles, posts, mock drafts and the like have us using Travis Minor, drafting Clinton Portis or signing Warrick Dunn for filling that role. Together they don't add up to a RB that Norv Turner wants (and needs) IMO.

Can someone explain why the so called experts and educated fans alike are looking forward to the opportunity for our beloved Dolphins to enter next season with a 'smurf' and not a 'bruiser' at the critical starting RB spot? Cause I just don't get it......

I agree, I keep having images of Dunn and Minor bouncing around like pinballs on the field as they're thrown and tossed by D-linemen that are twice their size and strength. If they pick up Dunn I'll be one unhappy fan; they already have the exact same back with fresher wheels in Minor. :eek:

i disagree i would hate to see warrick dunn in our backfield!!!!!!!

Or allen for that matter. i think the edwards will come cheap and he could turn out to be a hearst. and even if he doesnt pan out he is cheaper than dunn and you know he is willing to work to get better.

First off, I want to make a point about Minor. He isn't the little shrimp everyone thinks he is. Travis is 5'10" and listed at 201lbs. I know he commited himself at the end of the season to adding some weight. Now when you consider Marshall Faulk is 5'10" and 211lbs, then you can see that Minor isn't far off.

Now I realize that a bigger back is better for punishing linebackers, but Travis ran for a 4.8 YPC average and 281 yards. He also did this behind the same crappy line Smith was running into.

My point is, Travis always seemed to hit the holes faster, and squeezed out extra yards. I at least want to see him run with the first string, no matter who we get.

Re: Warrick Dunn ??? Why is his agent calling us???

Originally posted by Canuck

Warrick Dunn is far from and diminutive R-B, at 5/8 180 pounds he plays like he is 6 ft 215 pounds, Dunn has power, speed, great moves,and soft hands !! He plays the game alot bigger than his size allows, I have seen Dunn break a heck of alot more tackles during a season than R-W's . If he was more athletic he could very well compared to M-Faulk, I am in agreement that Dunn should not be considered a feature back (at least at this point) but who is the feature back going to be ?? Williams ? at this point that has a 50/50 chance of happening ,Taylor ? Edwards, the guy almost had his leg amputated ! Minor ? most fans are in the agreement that he cannot take a starters pounding. So lets go to the draft ,anybody that would possibly be available to Miami at #25 has had questions of health, dedication, or off the field problems !!!! Dunn has proven he is a team player that will give you a 150% everytime he walks on the field, keeps his veiws to himself and has never been reported to have any off the field stuations.. If the Dolphins can sign Dunn to an incentive laden contract , I really do not understand how a Dolphin fan could possibly have a problemm with Dunn in the Dolphins backfield this season ..... Marino1983 :confused: :confused: :confused:

I would hate to see Dunn on the Fins it w/b a waste of money considering we have Minor; particularly, because we need a big back on help on the OL

Originally posted by dolphan39
I would hate to see Dunn on the Fins it w/b a waste of money considering we have Minor; particularly, because we need a big back on help on the OL
I would hate to see R-W's in Miami's backfield at such an astronomical cost that limits the chances of upgrading other important areas (such as the O-L) for the upcoming season in 02 as well as the football seasons down the road !! A big back would be nice, but at what cost do you want to bring a guy in that basicly has not made a great deal of a positive impression as a (overall) 1st rnd draft pick since he was drafted 3 years ago ???? Marino1983:confused:

Dunn is not worth anything more than the veteran minimum and should be considered a third down back at best. Since the 'Fins already have that in Minor, picking up Dunn would be a luxury Miami could ill afford. Williams' price is not that astronomical if you take into a account his age, productivity, and size.

Dunn is a change of pace back, that's all. :fire:

We already have the type of running back Warrick Dunn is on our roster...His name is Travis Minor.

Duckett

duckett is the guy i want if we DRAFT a rb... Allen is the guy i want if we pick 1 up in FA because of his strength. he picked up 1,000 yards in one of the bears worst yrs.

Originally posted by Expo88
Dunn is not worth anything more than the veteran minimum and should be considered a third down back at best. Since the 'Fins already have that in Minor, picking up Dunn would be a luxury Miami could ill afford. Williams' price is not that astronomical if you take into a account his age, productivity, and size.

Dunn is a change of pace back, that's all. :fire:
Minor is nothing like Dunn,, Minor does not posess the lower leg strength that W-Dunn has, Minor needs to build his upper body to take even the pounding that a possession or 3rd down back will take. R-Williams is a great back, no question but he is not worth a 1st and a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year, maybe if the Phins can get the Saints #2 this year but I doubt that will happen, Dunn is only starting his 6th yr this season. I truly think that WannSpiel has moved on from this trade and all the Phin fans that are waiting to by a R-W's jersey will have to log onto the Saints web site to get it !!!!! Marino1983 :yell: :fire:

Disagree. Wanny said that they will sit down with Mueller and Co in a few days in Indy. This thing is FAR from over. We'll wait and wait and wait, as long as we feel we've got a shot.

Ricky will be unloaded this offseason. There is no question about it. I don't care what Mueller says. Ricky cannot be a Saint in 2002 because it will stunt the growth of Deuce McCallister.

The chances of us getting Ricky are still pretty high. Especially if the Browns get Garrison Hearst.

If the Browns get Hearst, then we'll get Ricky.

If Atlanta get Hearst, then we'll compete with Cleveland for Ricky.

If Cleveland gets Ricky and Atlanta gets Hearst, then we'll have a great shot at WILLIAM GREEN!!

Who knows!!

Back
Top Bottom