REAL sleeper QB update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

REAL sleeper QB update

my 2 cents

my 2 cents
Reaction score
According to Dallas Morning News, Matt Nordgren DID work out at UT's pro day and was very accurate as was Vince Young. According to Dallas Morning News he was accurate to David Thomas quite alot.

According to CBS sportsline....Nordgren (6-4 7/8, 222) ran his 40s in 4.89 and 4.85. Had a 28½-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-4 long jump, 4.29 short shuttle, 7.34 three-cone drill. Not bad #'s for a 6-5, 220 lb QB......

and finally a quote from Mack Brown. As a fifth-year senior, Nordren's situation is altogether different. He has played in 19 games in his career, including all 12 this season as the holder and nine at quarterback, completing 8 of 11 for 60 yards with one interception.
"Matt Nordgren would've been a starter almost anywhere else in the country," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "This year because we were so far ahead, Matt really never had a chance to showcase his abilities because we were not trying to embarrass anybody."

I still say we go in the 7th for Nordgren, Ingle Martin (if still there) or Erik Meyer.

i like that idea, as long as saban and the scouts checked him out thoroughly. sounds like we could draft one of the guys you mentioned with one of our three picks in the seventh.

probably not a bad idea. Mueller's supposed to be good at picking up late round QBs, this guy could be it

I think this is the guy you are talking about:

Barrick Nealy
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 226 | 40-Time: 4.57
Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and an ideal frame...Very athletic with good speed...Mobile and can beat you with his feet...Has a good arm...Throws well on the run...Was very productive in Division IAA...Team leader with top intangibles...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against a high level of competition...Very inconsistent with his accuracy...Did not play in a pro style offense...Raw and will need a lot of work on his technique and mechanics...Might have to change positions at the next level.

Notes:
Was the starter at Houston in 2002 but tore his ACL and ended up transferring in '04 when Kevin Kolb emerged...Could potentially move to wide receiver as a pro...Definitely has some physical tools to develop...A premier sleeper prospect.

Thanks for the news on this guy it sounds like a good project QB! I would use a 7th on him.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I think this is the guy you are talking about:

Barrick Nealy
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 226 | 40-Time: 4.57
Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and an ideal frame...Very athletic with good speed...Mobile and can beat you with his feet...Has a good arm...Throws well on the run...Was very productive in Division IAA...Team leader with top intangibles...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against a high level of competition...Very inconsistent with his accuracy...Did not play in a pro style offense...Raw and will need a lot of work on his technique and mechanics...Might have to change positions at the next level.

Notes:
Was the starter at Houston in 2002 but tore his ACL and ended up transferring in '04 when Kevin Kolb emerged...Could potentially move to wide receiver as a pro...Definitely has some physical tools to develop...A premier sleeper prospect.
Actually after seeing Nealy in the AS game he looks way inconsistent throw to throw and inaccurate IMO, he is a good athlete but did not test at the elite level people thought he would. Matt Nordgren is UT's backup to Vince Young, he never played but was an all everything recruit and has good size arm and is extremely smart. Someone made a good point all the other lower tier QB's have exposed their flaws with playing time, and Nordgren has not played enough to expose himself...so nobody really knows what he is or is not...only that he has tools. He would make an attractive 7th round/UFA target because he has the AA but has never produced mainly due to lack of opportunity...I think Nick indicated that is the type guy that makes for late round picks. With Matt Cassell showing some potential after being a backup atUSC, this guy at least should earn a real close look IMO.

Ingle Martin did not show any big flaws in his game, he just did not play great competition, but again was an all everything recruit that played very well against 1AA comp.

Meyer is alot like Martin, shorter but same concerns. He was a baseball player and somewhat late developing.

I am all for Meyer. Iv wathced him play some. He is a good size, smart, and has a good arm. Sence he went to a smaller school, we could get him in the 7th. He would be great to groom. I am a fan!!

Back
Top Bottom