Really Hope No Qb At #13 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Really Hope No Qb At #13

There are three QB's that are worthy of round 1 picks, Murray will be gone, so that leaves Haskins or Lock. Passing on either of them at 13 would be asinine. They may prove to be complete busts, all first round QB draft picks are calculated risks. But this is the game's most important position and you have to roll the dice, there is no way at this point in time to predict what will be available to us next year.

This is all moot anyway as, none of these three will be there at 13 (I think) and if they reach for Jones at that spot they are taking way too much of a gamble n a player, I personally wouldn't draft until at least round 3, and only if the D talent in this draft had been drained at that point and Easton Stick had already been taken.

There are three QB's that are worthy of round 1 picks, Murray will be gone, so that leaves Haskins or Lock. Passing on either of them at 13 would be asinine. They may prove to be complete busts, all first round QB draft picks are calculated risks. But this is the game's most important position and you have to roll the dice, there is no way at this point in time to predict what will be available to us next year.

This is all moot anyway as, none of these three will be there at 13 (I think) and if they reach for Jones at that spot they are taking way too much of a gamble n a player, I personally wouldn't draft until at least round 3, and only if the D talent in this draft had been drained at that point and Easton Stick had already been taken.
Not asinine maybe a risk but not asinine

Not asinine maybe a risk but not asinine

No asinine in the same sense as taking Ronnie Brown at #2 when Gus Frerotte is your QB and Aaron Rodgers is sitting there waiting. The point is you simply can't afford to miss out on someone who can be a great at that position, I believe Murray, Lock and Haskins all have that "chance".

Yes.... if Haskins or Lock is there they should take them... they can use the rest of the draft and all those picks in 2020 on building around him.

Yes.... if Haskins or Lock is there they should take them... they can use the rest of the draft and all those picks in 2020 on building around him.
sure but you don't want to build around the wrong guy either. We tried doing that for 7 years and it got us nowhere. If they draft a QB at 13 then they better make sure he really is the guy.

No asinine in the same sense as taking Ronnie Brown at #2 when Gus Frerotte is your QB and Aaron Rodgers is sitting there waiting. The point is you simply can't afford to miss out on someone who can be a great at that position, I believe Murray, Lock and Haskins all have that "chance".

Exactly... this is all so reminiscent of passing on Brees for a bust corner... Rodgers for a mediocre running back...Marty Ice for a left tackle.

2 maybe 3 hall of fame QB’s passed on since Marino!

sure but you don't want to build around the wrong guy either. We tried doing that for 7 years and it got us nowhere. If they draft a QB at 13 then they better make sure he really is the guy.

No rookie is a lock ... you scout them, and pick one and hope for the best.

Nobody was positive Drew Brees was the right guy... that’s why he slipped into the 2nd round....same with Rodgers which is why he slipped to 21....you have to take calculated shots.

I'd run up the card for Haskins. On the fence with Lock.

Keep in mind, Miami as of right now, may have the worst quarterback situation in football. I know the strength of the draft is defensive line and the team could wait until 2020. I'm fine with that unless the organization feels a quarterback from 2019 can become a top 10 NFL quarterback. In my view, Haskins can be that.

Quarterback has to be the biggest priority, followed by so many other needs.

How do you make sure?

The goal is to get a QB for the SB window. The SB window is quarterback's contract, 4 years. That's how the NFL operates, on a 4-year cycle of contracts. You must get the QB for that four-year cycle. Must. It's business, otherwise you are not running your business.

The QB you get must be consistent and efficient NFL type so you can run your consistent efficient offense, in the NFL, during your superbowl window.

NFL type is, prototypical quarterback, with a big arm and a quick gun who plays from the pocket. You watch the film to see whether he throws from the pocket, from far hash to boundary, on low trajectory, 35 yards out with quick gun. That's all that is required.

Consistent and efficient quarterback is a quarterback who in his last year in college performed consistently and efficiently.
Had large volume (carried the team), had good completion percentage, did not take a lot of sacks (was decisive), did not throw a lot of picks (made good decisions), and scored a lot.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

The goal is to get a QB for the SB window. The SB window is quarterback's contract, 4 years. That's how the NFL operates, on a 4-year cycle of contracts. You must get the QB for that four-year cycle. Must. It's business, otherwise you are not running your business.

The QB you get must be consistent and efficient NFL type so you can run your consistent efficient offense, in the NFL, during your superbowl window.

NFL type is, prototypical quarterback, with a big arm and a quick gun who plays from the pocket. You watch the film to see whether he throws from the pocket, from far hash to boundary, on low trajectory, 35 yards out with quick gun. That's all that is required.

Consistent and efficient quarterback is a quarterback who in his last year in college performed consistently and efficiently.
Had large volume (carried the team), had good completion percentage, did not take a lot of sacks (was decisive), did not throw a lot of picks (made good decisions), and scored a lot.

It’s nice to list the attributes of the prototype QB and I’m pretty sure every team tries to “make sure” they get this type of QB but why do so many QBs get drafted high and only a few work out?

NFL.com's eight mock drafts have Haskins going 9, 10, 11, 11, 11, 13, 13, 13, and 17 (and at 17 they had Miami trading back to 17 and taking him). So basically there mocks tend to say that Haskins might be there at 13 and if he is, Miami will most likely take him.

IMO....if Haskins is there at 13, you take him.

It’s nice to list the attributes of the prototype QB and I’m pretty sure every team tries to “make sure” they get this type of QB but why do so many QBs get drafted high and only a few work out?
Because teams high in the draft are usually ones that really need a quarterback...which means that they are often taking a quarterback at a higher spot than they should be taken. Additionally, teams drafting really high are the ones with a lot of holes to fill and a quarterback can only fill one of them.

How do you make sure?
You can never be 100% sure of course but what I mean is, if that's who you picked then you'll need to build around him and if you miss then you'll have the Tannehill situation all over again.

It's not rocket science to look for a quarterback with a high completion percentage, carried his team, didn't get sacked a lot, threw a lot of TDs and didn't throw many interceptions. It's kind of a nothing statement. I mean, nobody is looking for quarterbacks with low completion percentages, held their team back, got sacked a ton, couldn't score, and threw a lot of interceptions.

So you do have to go beyond just that.

Back
Top Bottom