rebuilding how long does it take most teams ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

rebuilding how long does it take most teams ?

Lorenzo Rules

Active Roster
Reaction score
Watching several bad teams this year and one thing I have noticed is that the dolphins pprior to 2004 had only 6 losing seasons which I find to be very satisfying but we have had 3 out 5 losing seasons and if we lose out the rest of this season then that will make it 2-6 in a 6 year period.

most teams that have to rebuil usually get big time playmakers while the dolphins have only brought in one player that isnt a bust but he is now injured and has been injured for 3 out of 4 years. this cant be a good thing if we want to get to the promis land.

Some say Jake Long isnt a bust but he isnt a skill player and we spent way too much money on a rookie and that investment seems very iffy to me . Jason Allen (not sure about)
Vontae Davis (is a good pick)
but what about our other draft picks in this time period ?

we need to get a real stud on both offense and defense. I think our defense has played well except for a few games in a couple of ares.

with the Afc east getting tougher mainly the jets defense and the pats the bills are now getting a legit coach so Miami better stop dicking around or we could become the Browns and that would drive me to the nut house.

the morral thing to do is to cut three wrs who keep under acheiving.

find a real dominating Defensive end.

find 2 safeties for depth and talent.

draft one wr and bring in one f/a wr

draft a te like Gresham.

draft 2 linebackers and they dont have to be taken in rd1 or rd 2.

bottom line lets get some playmakers in here or else we will be in the browns predictiment.

3-4 DE's don't get much better than what we've already got....

Cut 3 WR's and bring in 2....so we carry 4 next yr?

I hate the term rebuilding. but if you want to gauge how often and how long... the colts and patriots haven't gone through a rebuilding in over 10 years. the lions Have been rebuilding for over 10 years.

The bucs are rebuilding, they appear to be in year 1?

A five year plan is what's needed according to some of the "geniuses" on here, but really it should take no more than one or two years. A lot of the Super Bowl champions this decade didn't have good records the year before winning it, and some didn't even make the playoffs.

I hate the term rebuilding. but if you want to gauge how often and how long... the colts and patriots haven't gone through a rebuilding in over 10 years. the lions Have been rebuilding for over 10 years.

speaking of the Bucs, they started rebuilding in 1995, then first went to the playoffs in 1997. from 1999 to 2002 they qualified each year, of course winning the SB in 2002. they've been pretty much up and down since.

the Colts started rebuilding in 1998 and made the playoffs every year between 1999 and now with the exception of 2001. won SB in 2006

the Pats started rebuilding in 2000, went to the playoffs and won the SB in 2001, 2003, and 2004. also went to the playoffs in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

there's no formula how long it takes. once you have the right players assembled.

Far too many variables involved....

What does the team have to start with? Whats the salary cap situation?

Miami didn't have much of anything to start with except a RB....no o-line, over the hill d-line....

ask the browns they have been rebuilding since the... what? 60's?

Nah, the Brows won a SB....trouble is they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

I can not stand when i see the word rebuild or 4 year plan. How sure are you guys that the nfl will not be close out in 2011? And do not even get me started about 2012. :crazy:

We have a lot of nice young pieces, BUT people need to remember how young those guys are. Jake Long, Donald Thomas, Chad Henne, Davon Bess, Kendall Langford,Dan Carpenter, and Phillip Merling are all 2nd year players. Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Chris Clemons, and Brian Hartline (and Patrick Turner?) are rookies. If Teddy Ginn and Paul Solia can be consistent that's 2 in their 3rd year. Ronnie is in his prime. And some guys who can be good foundation pieces (Matt Roth, Channing Crowder,Greg Camarillo, and Cam Wake) are all in their mid 20's.

My point being is that the players drafted between 2000 and 2005 should be the heart and soul of the team. How many of those players are still on the team? Yeremiah Bell, Vernon Carey, Ronnie Brown(pending FA, but probably back), Matt Roth (pending FA),and Channing Crowder (also long snapper Ryan Denney as a UDFA). So in 6 drafts we have 5 players left, but none from 2000-2002, 1 from 2003 (Bell), 1 from 2004 (Carey)m and the other 3 were are day 1 picks in 05.

But how about some other drafts. 2006? Only Jason Allen; our first round pick that year that is a ST player. 2007? Ted Ginn, Paul Solia, and Brandon Fields; all players that have shown glimpses, but nothing close to consistency.

Sparano and Ireland know what type of players they want. The thing is, they have had to rely heavily on players leaving their prime, and young players that could use a couple years of seasoning, but they have us on the right path. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Teams like the Pats, Colts, and Steelers have been consistently good to great because they draft strictly by their board for players that fit their systems thus they are finding good players on day 2 (or in the Colts case UDFA). That's the way to build. The Lions sucked for so long because Millen and his 3 coaches didn't have a set plan of what they wanted. The Raiders have sucked cause Al Davis is enamored with 40 times.

In short, part one is getting your players, part 2 is coaching. I think the coaching is pretty good (a bit frustrating at times, but pretty good), but the talent is either a)still lacking (WR/LB depth) or still very young (CB)

I think we still need a good amount. We def need at least 2 WR's or hope turner and hartline can do alot of growing in the off season. A backup RB for when ricky leaves. Few other things but not as much as some think.

Back
Top Bottom