Record Extension For Packers, Aaron Rodgers Could Reach $180m Total | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Record Extension For Packers, Aaron Rodgers Could Reach $180m Total

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
total insanity!

Seems perfectly sane to me. What's insane is giving the likes of Tannehill, Ryan, Dalton, Smith, Bortles, etc... deals that are in the same ballpark. I'd be happy to see the Phins spend quite a bit more than 30 mil a year to get someone of Rodgers' caliber on this team.

Seems perfectly sane to me. What's insane is giving the likes of Tannehill, Ryan, Dalton, Smith, Bortles, etc... deals that are in the same ballpark. I'd be happy to see the Phins spend quite a bit more than 30 mil a year to get someone of Rodgers' caliber on this team.
How is 9 mil In the same ballpark as 30m?

How is 9 mil In the same ballpark as 30m?

I don't think its a stretch to assume that you're well aware of the actual value of the respective deals and their impact on the two team's balance sheets. By rough estimate I'd say 9 is about 70% of 30 and Tannehill is nowhere near 70% the QB that Rodgers is.

The crazy part is imagining what kind of offer Tannehill would get two years from now if for just one of the next two seasons he puts up top 10 numbers. Say he pulls off a Matt Ryan....is really good this season and average the next. Would they shell out 20% of the cap for him in 2020?

I don't think its a stretch to assume that you're well aware of the actual value of the respective deals and their impact on the two team's balance sheets. By rough estimate I'd say 9 is about 70% of 30 and Tannehill is nowhere near 70% the QB that Rodgers is.

The crazy part is imagining what kind of offer Tannehill would get two years from now if for just one of the next two seasons he puts up top 10 numbers. Say he pulls off a Matt Ryan....is really good this season and average the next. Would they shell out 20% of the cap for him in 2020?
I can’t imagine the money they just spent on obj or Landry, but that’s just a fact Of the cap. The next deal outdoes the previous best. Tannehills next deal if it averages 20 will be because he earned it. And 20 mil 2 years from now might only be top 15 money. If he played top ten the next two years and gets paid top 15 why would you bitch?

I can’t imagine the money they just spent on obj or Landry, but that’s just a fact Of the cap. The next deal outdoes the previous best. Tannehills next deal if it averages 20 will be because he earned it. And 20 mil 2 years from now might only be top 15 money. If he played top ten the next two years and gets paid top 15 why would you bitch?

I have no qualms giving the elites top dollar. OBJ, Mack, Donald....they all impact the game in a way few others can. The Suh deal made sense to me and even in hindsight the original contract is very defensible.

What I don't get is handing out 15-20% of your cap to mediocrity. I refuse to believe that there are so few QBs that can perform at an acceptable level in this league.....that there aren't a dozen Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Nick Foles types out there. Maybe not as physically gifted as someone like Tannehill but when surrounded by a talented roster can excel and even lead a team to the ultimate prize.

So many teams now are trying to take advantage of that window they have with a QB on his rookie deal, knowing that after that its going to take a whole lot of luck and good drafting to stay on top. Eventually some coach is going to have the guts to let his "franchise" signal caller walk after that rookie deal.

Back
Top Bottom