Redshirting Kinderten Kids? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Redshirting Kinderten Kids?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
On Between The Lines today, they were talking about a growing trend of parents redshirting their kids to give them an athletic advantage, nothing to do with grades. They are doing this from kindergarten to the 8th grade. Many different opinions on this from athletically to socially.

I went though this to a degree but, only because of my birthday. curious to hear opinions.

Its not just athletics. You have parents and schools that hold back kids that they don't think are the same level of maturity as their classmates, or just to gain an academic advantage. Its crazy enough in highly competitive places like NY that parents plan their conception based on the cutoff date for enrollment in order to give their kid a 6 month head start.

And there is evidence to back up this line of thinking, at least in the short term.

These knuckleheaded parents need to let these kids be kids and stop trying to live their own athletic dreams vicariously through their children.

This should be a good debate/discussion with many factors to consider. One of may things to talk about would be redshirting in college being very common but, different than grade school. Then there is the kid getting a scholarship chances being increased and taking that financial burden from parents. The kid may resent what parents do and not want to play. The kid's social development can be hurt by keeping him back, as other kids can be nasty, and etc, etc.

the one aspect of this i can understand is the cut off birthday for the school years... some kids that are right at the cut off could either be the youngest kid in the grade by far, or oldest if they dont start school right away, and wait till the next year.

in this aspect, waiting an extra year i have seen to be beneficial for a couple ways. one is definitely in athletics, but not in any dominant way... but more for a kid growing, puberty, and jsut being physically capable more compared to his/her classmates and opponents. the kids that are not held back and are the youngest in their grade I have seen struggling early on due to them physically not maturing as fast, being smaller, etc... even as they are good athletes, they just dont have the opportunities at a young age which can be frustrating. when they finally "sprout" lets say and physically develop, it sometimes is too late.

one other aspect would definitely be maturity... my sisters twins are great kids, but one is very very immature and she chose to send them off to school at that birthday age... so they are the youngest, and though they dont struggle, the one that really immature i nhis own ways does struggle more behaviorally, socially, and jsut needs to figure it out and it taking a longer time to do so.... .but also, they are like 1st graders too, so they are young.

now once again i understand and am totally fine with holding these kids back a year that would be at this cut off date and the youngest in the grade... it does tend to be tougher on them athletically and socially due to them physically and mentally maybe not being as mature yet like their peers. but parents that are literally holding kids back to take complete advantage are just awful... what do you gain? is it really that important that year 6-10 year old dominates the field, just to disappear in their future due to not developing enough cause they dont have to work... same in the classroom... i can see that happening so much.

On the show, they had a QB from Duke, an A student, and his parents held him back in 8th grade. He said it worked out great for him.

Other factors are parents being able to afford another year of schooling, and taxing the school system already bursting at the seams.

On the show, they had a QB from Duke, an A student, and his parents held him back in 8th grade. He said it worked out great for him.

Other factors are parents being able to afford another year of schooling, and taxing the school system already bursting at the seams.

He was a DB not QB.

Back
Top Bottom