Reigning CFL Defensive MVP turning down further workout requests after great showing for Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reigning CFL Defensive MVP turning down further workout requests after great showing for Dolphins

To be fair, most didn't believe Cam Wake was as good as he ended up becoming. I firmly recall many fans thinking the move was a reach and even Joey Porter wise cracked Wake during his first season.

Point is, only time will tell what Jefferson is. We have no idea right now, just like when Cam first started with Miami.
Those in Canada definitely knew he was special. Jefferson is not special just great in the CFL

To be fair, most didn't believe Cam Wake was as good as he ended up becoming. I firmly recall many fans thinking the move was a reach and even Joey Porter wise cracked Wake during his first season.

Point is, only time will tell what Jefferson is. We have no idea right now, just like when Cam first started with Miami.

I wasn't down o Wake, but admit, I was concerned about the jump from CFL to NFL. He's one of the reasons I am HIGHLY skeptical of anyone calling a player a bust after (or before) one year.

He needs to add weight in the lower body. Chicken legs.

hes not as good as Cam Wake, but hes good.

You're likely right. What fans have to keep in mind is he doesn't have to be Miami's best pass rusher. He doesn't have to be wake. If he can be 2nd best, that's a HUGE win. Haven't seen it mentioned yet . . . can he set the edge?

6'7 248 does that feel lite to anyone else? McMillian is 245ish and is 6'2, AVG is 250ish and is 6'4. Any way Miami ask him to put on 20 lbs and be more of a pass rushing 3 technique who clogs passing lanes with his reach.

One thing I always like to mention with CFL pass rushers is they start with an inherent disadvantage because they start I believe with a minimum of 1 yard separation for O-linemen. So they can anchor prior to being engaged. If he is that quick off he snap he could develop well being able to be right on top of his competition.
I agree that's light, but we had a guy #99 that was long and light that played pretty good. I know, it's an unfair comparison but it could work.

Whatever his deal is will be telling. From watching film on him, he doesn't seem like a top 2 guy on an NFL team. Could be deceptive I guess, but he looks slow for that weight, and not very physically imposing. Rotational stop-gap maybe?

relax - the league’ll be revisiting the “weed” issue this offseason and on into the CBA negotiations if not resolved before next camp.. expect a revised use provision being approved
The issue is not weed, It's being able to tell if the player is high at practice or game time.

Those in Canada definitely knew he was special. Jefferson is not special just great in the CFL

You can tell me that now, 11 years later. But nobody at the time was voicing that here or anywhere else. People were highly skeptical. Even after year 1. That’s all I’m saying. Yet look how it turned out.

Nobody knows for sure whether Jefferson will be a good player or not. The future isn’t set in stone.

It’s easy for everyone to predict he won’t be very good or nowhere near the impact Wake had because those types of success stories don’t happen often. So the odds are in favor of the naysayer. Just as they were when Wake first came over from the CFL.There were a lot of naysayers then too. That’s precisely the point.

You can tell me that now, 11 years later. But nobody at the time was voicing that here or anywhere else. People were highly skeptical. Even after year 1. That’s all I’m saying. Yet look how it turned out.

Nobody knows for sure whether Jefferson will be a good player or not. The future isn’t set in stone.

It’s easy for everyone to predict he won’t be very good or nowhere near the impact Wake had because those types of success stories don’t happen often. So the odds are in favor of the naysayer. Just as they were when Wake first came over from the CFL.There were a lot of naysayers then too. That’s precisely the point.
That is soooooo funny Because I was one of the very few banging the drum and taking a beating for it

I was the one who said he would be a starter - once he learned to set the edge

You can believe me or not lol

Wake commanded triple teams in the CFL not Jefferson -

Cam got lower and had Quick bursts of speed - Jefferson has good speed but he is a one trick pony - He runs around the piss poor CFL right tackle

You never know with CFL players. It is good to look at players from everywhere but in reality, being great in the CFL means absolutely nothing in the NFL. James Parker and Willie Pless were dominant CFL players but don't mean they would do the same in the NFL. Cameron Wake such an extreme exception. How many guys become that level of player that cannot even make it through the preseason and become a pro bowl type player? I was skeptical of Wake much like I would be of any player coming from the CFL because the odds of being right are pretty damn spot on when judging CFL talent. Now with the return of the XFL, the CFL has even more competition for talent.
The level of CFL talent is not even close to top college teams. Not their fault it just nobody chooses to play football and make less money so the top talent all goes to NFL. At one point there was somewhat of a competition for talent, the CFL had no choice but abandon that fool's errand and the league has stayed around.

Hopefully Jefferson earns a good contract and becomes a good NFL player but am pretty concerned about his size and his lack of sustained success in CFL but maybe he has just been improving.

Back
Top Bottom