Releasing Kyle Van Noy? | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Releasing Kyle Van Noy?

Then just sign him for a year. Player shouldn’t be blindsided like that. Not a good look for other possible FAs to be used up for one year when that player signed on for more years.
That would be fine if players were willing to sign for a year at a time, but 99% of them are not.

You can't do it if they won't sign.

That's basically what they did.

Look, these contracts come with varying degrees of gaurantees. Every player and every agent knows full well what they are signing, and what the implications are.

Had the cap not been drastically reduced, things may have been different.

Do you want a FO that does what they see as best for the team, or not? You may disagree with the decision from an Xs & Os standpoint, but that's a different story.

Can't have it both ways sometimes. The team's best interests, and those of the player are rarely the same.

That would be fine if players were willing to sign for a year at a time, but 99% of them are not.

You can't do it if they won't sign.
I guess. It’s just weird to cut a guy after signing a 4 year deal unless something drastic happened. But I’m not upset. Just surprising is all.

I thought that Van Ginkle outplayed Van Noy... and that every down where Van Noy played, was a down where we might have been better served to have the crazy Dutchman in there.
Van Noy was fine... Van Ginkle was better...

That's exactly what you do. As is evidenced by. . . you know, that happening exactly.
This doesn't mean Grier and co are geniuses by cutting bait to get cheaper and "more athletic".

It means they lacked the necessary foresight and had unrealistic expectations for what KVN was bringing to the table.

I will say it a different way so you don't misunderstand.

You don't pay KVN $15M for one season of work and guarantee him $30M (and take dead cap) if the plan all along was to get cheaper and "more athletic" at the position in year 2.

He was not a prudent investment even though he gave them exactly what should have been expected of him (granted he battled injury).

I was against overpaying for him to begin with but at this exact moment IMHO it makes far more sense to retain him and squeeze the lemon on that investment (plus he is great for the locker room).

Clearly he is a casualty because of the expected reduction in team cap. But again, they did not sign him anticipating his release year 2.

Please stop applauding the front office for pissing cap away amid a crucial rebuild.

And now they botched any potential chance here of trading KVN when that probably would have been nearly impossible to begin with given the contract.

I guess. It’s just weird to cut a guy after signing a 4 year deal unless something drastic happened. But I’m not upset. Just surprising is all.
It's not all the weird really... a lot of these contracts are set-up this way on purpose.

Take a look at the Flowers deal... or the Lawson deal... both of these contracts are ostensibly 3 year deals... but neither really is. Both men signed contracts that had guaranteed dollars in the first two years... and a low signing bonus. These contracts are basically two year deals with a team option for the third year.

Van Noy's wasn't like this. He took up-front money and no guaranteed money later.

This doesn't mean Grier and co are geniuses by cutting bait to get cheaper and "more athletic".

It means they lacked the necessary foresight and had unrealistic expectations for what KVN was bringing to the table.

You don't pay KVN $15M for one season of work and guarantee him $30M (and take dead cap) if the plan all along was to get cheaper and "more athletic" at the position in year 2.

He was not a prudent investment even though he gave them exactly what should have been expected of him (granted he battled injury).

I was against overpaying for him to begin with but at this exact moment IMHO it makes far more sense to retain him and squeeze the lemon on that investment (plus he is great for the locker room).

Clearly he is a casualty because of the expected reduction in team cap. But again, they did not sign him anticipating his release year 2.

Please stop applauding the front office for pissing cap away amid a crucial rebuild.

And now they botched any potential chance here of trading KVN when that probably would have been nearly impossible to begin with given the contract.
heh!

Pissing away the cap?

Dude, we had a ton of money and couldn't spend it all. We took a lot of shots and some worked out and some didn't. Maybe less caffeine?

heh!

Pissing away the cap?

Dude, we had a ton of money and couldn't spend it all. We took a lot of shots and some worked out and some didn't. Maybe less caffeine?
Given the way things turned out with the lower cap, it's a good thing we took that approach.

Future flexibility shouldn't be dismissed or underappreciated.

I am applauding the team for reevaluating the players and plan year to year. What was the plan and expectations last year better not be the plan and expectations this year. After all, the last time I watched a football game, our team wasn't playing. So, what's the problem?

As for the 4 year deal -- what contract, outside of a QB, doesn't have phony years in them? Given the cap issues this year, what team *isn't* looking very hard at high cost, replaceable players in order to field a fully competent team without any glaring holes?

Given the way things turned out with the lower cap, it's a good thing we took that approach.

There's a reason that we kept Lawson over Van Noy... his second year is guaranteed.

Their performances were very similar.

heh!

Pissing away the cap?

Taking "a lot of shots" in free agency and paying dead cap through the nose is exactly why this organization has been stuck in mediocrity for 20+ years.

They purged the roster and made us fans suffer through the first 7 games of 2019 to clean the books.

And that very offseason they are spending wildly and now apparently handing out guaranteed money that players wont see.

Even 1 cent of dead cap is a travesty on the KVN contract.

Caffeine does pick you up when needed...

But there sure is a lot of sugar in that kool aid you're sippin on?

Taking "a lot of shots" in free agency and paying dead cap through the nose is exactly why this organization has been stuck in mediocrity for 20+ years.

They purged the roster and made us fans suffer through the first 7 games of 2019 to clean the books.

And that very offseason they are spending wildly and now apparently handing out guaranteed money that players wont see.

Even 1 cent of dead cap is a travesty on the KVN contract.

Caffeine does pick you up when needed...

But there sure is a lot of sugar in that kool aid you're sippin on?
Pfft!

No one hits on them all and a 4 million dead cap hit is pretty marginal. Go cry in someone else's cheerios. No one is buying your schtick here.

Pfft!

No one hits on them all and a 4 million dead cap hit is pretty marginal. Go cry in someone else's cheerios. No one is buying your schtick here.
Your missing the bigger picture. This move was done to clear space for more spending this off-season. So more guaranteed money thrown around on a new free agent class.

$4.1M in dead cap is a good chunk BTW. Thats not peanuts like you making it out to be.

But what happens when we find our next Jordan Howard and KVN from this years class? And then "wisely" cut bait and take on more dead cap?

Cap won't be so plentiful in a few seasons when we have 2nd contracts to hand out at premium positions.

Free Agents are investments, meaning you're looking for an ROI. We won't be getting a true one now on the KVN investment. This means it was a bad decision, not a good one.

You must be new around here, but us true dolphins fans are real familiar with how consistent "aggressive" free agency misses set your franchise back years.

And when I eat my cheerios I always read the back of the cereal box.

Of course we front loaded the guarantees last season we had a minimum cap requirement to hit.

Future flexibility won't be there if we are consistently taking dead cap when you have (hopefully) many young players needing lucrative 2nd contracts.

I'll take $4 million in dead cap vs a $13M backup any day.
Your missing the bigger picture. This move was done to clear space for more spending this off-season. So more guaranteed money thrown around on a new free agent class.

$4.1M in dead cap is a good chunk BTW. Thats not peanuts like you making it out to be.

But what happens when we find our next Jordan Howard and KVN from this years class? And then "wisely" cut bait and take on more dead cap?

Cap won't be so plentiful in a few seasons when we have 2nd contracts to hand out at premium positions.

Free Agents are investments, meaning you're looking for an ROI. We won't be getting a true one now on the KVN investment. This means it was a bad decision, not a good one.

You must be new around here, but us true dolphins fans are real familiar with how consistent "aggressive" free agency misses set your franchise back years.

And when I eat my cheerios I always read the back of the cereal box.
$4.1M is less than 1/3 of the $13M+ it would cost to keep him on the roster. They've cleared 9.8M in cap space by moving on. There's dead cap for one season.

They already got a return on that investment, time to move on.

There should be some bargains in FA this year with the reduced cap so it's a better year than most to go shopping. I'm not sure what the big deal is?

I am applauding the team for reevaluating the players and plan year to year. What was the plan and expectations last year better not be the plan and expectations this year. After all, the last time I watched a football game, our team wasn't playing. So, what's the problem?

As for the 4 year deal -- what contract, outside of a QB, doesn't have phony years in them? Given the cap issues this year, what team *isn't* looking very hard at high cost, replaceable players in order to field a fully competent team without any glaring holes?
Any true rebuild is done on a 3 year plan. Not year to year. Is it good to constantly try self evaluate? 100%.

But folks flapping their gums around here acting like cutting KVN year 2 was the plan all along or that his play was sub par are kidding themselves.

PS, nobody gives a rip about the number of years in a contract. Its about guarantees. Which we front loaded on this deal and are cutting bait before yielding a return.

Back
Top Bottom