Reply to What if | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reply to What if

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Frank Corral - January 22, 2002

As an avid Cubs fan, I sometimes look around the league and it mind boggles me how many ex-Cubs (past and present) do well once they leave the team. Three of them Mark Grace, Luis Gonzalez and Mike Morgan added a World Series ring. This year the same is currently happening with many ex-Dolphins. Let's take a look.

1) Larry Izzo: This special teams demon is doing his best as a Patriot. The Dolphins missed his gung-ho attitude and hard-nosed play.

I have to say that this was a total non-factor. We surrenderd the least amount of kick off and punt return yards in thr nfl is I am not mistaken.

2) Richmond Webb: Oh did this backfire! Played all 16 games for the Bungles. The Dolphins had 3 guys playing LT, two were out for the season. A curse?

I hindsight this it true, but no one knew we would lose 2 LTs for the season, and where would you have saved the 3mill it would have taken to keep him?

4) Corey Harris: A key part as an SS for Baltimore and also returns kicks for the Ravens. He also has a SB ring.

Safety was deffinitly not a weak point of our team, Corey would have been lost in the mix of our 3-4 starting calliber safetys.

5) Brian Griese: Yes he never wore the Dolphin colors. But J.J passed him up at #86 in the '98 draft since he wanted to break all ties with the Dolphin past. The Broncos did great by getting him at #99 and by being the understudy of John Elway.

This is you best point. I am not only saying this about Greise, but the whole organazation ignored the qb postion ever since S. Mitchell, I think they thought Marino would play till he was 65. Seriously how key would it have been to have a true talent learning from Dan his last couple of seasons. If they did pick Greise or someone else in the 2nd or 3rd round 3-4 years ago Miami would have probably played in the super bowl in 2000.

6) Tyrone Wheatley: What a wonderful complement he has been as a bruising 3rd down back for Jon Gruden. J.J showed no patience with him and #47 is having the last laugh.

I have to disagree w/this he was all but invisable this year, w/out a great offensive line he is the same player as Lamar.

7) Troy Vincent: #23 wanted to be a Dolphin for his whole career, yet J.J would have none of it. Yes, Miami has two very good comers in Surtain and Madison, but Troy Vincent is going to another Pro Bowl and to the NFC title game.

When he left we had Pat willing to step in at 1/10th of what he made, and isn't as good as Pat.

Surtain was not here in 1996. he wasn't drafted until the second round in 1998.

Vincent could not be kept, as the salary cap situation was out of control thanks to the spending spree Shula and Wayne went on in 1995.

Some players had to be let go, and Coleman, Cox, Vincent, and a couple other high priced players simply couldn't be kept.

The Dolphins have let go a plethora of talent throughout the years!!
How bout NORMAN HAND a solid defensive lineman and run stuffer!they really could have used him this year with GARDNER'S injury. Then there was Larry Webster of the Ravens, who has had a solid career! John Fiala of the Steelers is a special teams demon that makes Larry Izzo look like a puss! Troy Vincent is simply a stud!Marco Coleman has had a steady and productive career! Say what you want about Bryan cox, the guy gives you a 110% every play!He's an animal! Imagine him next to Zach as a OLB!!!

I have to agree w/the Cox statement he was an animal, and the heart and soul of the d. Not only did he play 110%, but he made every one around play at 110% as well. Thats what this d was missing this season, they have the talent, but this year had no heart.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Vincent could not be kept, as the salary cap situation was out of control thanks to the spending spree Shula and Wayne went on in 1995.

Some players had to be let go, and Coleman, Cox, Vincent, and a couple other high priced players simply couldn't be kept.
JJ almost got Vincent to stay but did something to let Troy think he was not coming back and Troy took Philly's offer when he wanted to stay. :yell:

That JJ what an ass. lol

Hey, he made up for it with Surtain, and Madison. I say we bring in JJ to pick our defensive players, and then let Wannstedt pick our offensive players. We would be in the Super Bowl next year!!

JJ picks defensive guys like Taylor, Thomas, Surtain, Madison, Mixon, Gardener

Wannstedt picks Fletcher

Wannstedt picks offensive guys like Todd Wade, Travis Minor, Chris Chambers

JJ picked Avery, Larry Shannon, Yatil Green, and JJ Johnson.

see what I mean?

whether or not ...............

Originally posted by Dajesus
I have to agree w/the Cox statement he was an animal, and the heart and soul of the d. Not only did he play 110%, but he made every one around play at 110% as well. Thats what this d was missing this season, they have the talent, but this year had no heart.
the talent was there, is not important. i'm glad they let him go. there were too many games he i think he caused the fins to lose because of one of his childish tantrums, and i for one was tired of making excuses for him!:mad:

the only thing that makes sense to me

Wannstedt picks Fletcher

is wanny picked fletcher, hoping he would pan out, to use him for trade bait. hopefully houston will pick up boselli and need a DB!:D

Fletcher can't be that bad, but he has no place on this team. He should be traded for a second round pick or a let first round pick.

Originally posted by dofnsman4303
yeah well if he wanted a db for trade bait why not fred smoot?

I don't know, Smoot was a better prospect then Fletcher. Fletcher was a great college player though. Smoot would have been picked before Fletcher but he was once involved in an incident that wasn't his fault with the cops. He never did any time though.

yeah i remember that party incident with the drugs and i remember how happy i was that the dolphins could get him(i dont know why but him and duece mcallister were my favorite college players last year)and then they go and pick fletcher and add to the list of wasted first rounders.

Well now, Fletcher might still be a great CB, he is just lost in the mix. I only put that to make a point about how great Wannstedt's offensive picks worked out.

Morlon Greenwood was looking really sharp in the least two or three games. Fletcher might be a great CB, just have to let him develop.

Ok so maybe Dave doesn't suck at defensive guys, it's just weird that other then Konrad, every offensive pick JJ made has been mediocre or garbage.

Back
Top Bottom