Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

If the game has changed, let's draft Ian Book in the fifth. He's rushed for 550 at 5 a pop last season, and he can throw i a little too. And fire Chan Gailey.

Replace Fromm with Love.
The only place Love is considered a draft pick is on this site pushed by a particulate group of two. Love is the farthest 1st rd choice I've seen in the longest time. Don't perpetuate the bs love crap.

Make that 3

Then again, Lamar went at 1:32.

I didn't even have him graded that high - I was surprised that he went that high. But I credit Ozzie with being able to see the bigger picture. Jackson may not last long but it'll be fun for Raven fans while it does - might even result in a superbowl or two. That's about all you can ask.

17-20 year pocket passers like Marino, Peyton and Brady are few and far between. I don't think you'll see it in the future.

I didn't even have him graded that high - I was surprised that he went that high. But I credit Ozzie with being able to see the bigger picture. Jackson may not last long but it'll be fun for Raven fans while it does - might even result in a superbowl or two. That's about all you can ask.

17-20 year pocket passers like Marino, Peyton and Brady are few and far between. I don't think you'll see it in the future.

Now, for the first time, I think you've said something I VEHEMENTLY disagree with.

There will always be guys who put up those 15-18 year pocket careers. There may be fewer of them... but I just dont see a situation where they just go away.

Indeed, with all the bandwagoning GMs chasing the latest trend, I think it might be easier to get your hands on one of these than it used to be.

Now, for the first time, I think you've said something I VEHEMENTLY disagree with.

There will always be guys who put up those 15-18 year pocket careers. There may be fewer of them... but I just dont see a situation where they just go away.

Indeed, with all the bandwagoning GMs chasing the latest trend, I think it might be easier to get your hands on one of these than it used to be.

I think there's a category of quarterback that falls inbetween the running QB's like Lamar Jackson or Newton or Vick - and the pure pocket statues like Marino, Peyton or Brady.

It's an extremely mobile pocket passer. Like Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen. That's the type of guys I think you strive for, and don't necessarily have to redesign an offense specifically to fit their skillset.

I usually just describe this lot as RPO. It isnt 100% accurate, but no generalization ever is.

If he is a victim of bad coaching, there is something wrong with him. If that is the case, Phins should not draft him. Just scratch him and let someone else deal with it.
That makes perfect sense.

I think there's a category of quarterback that falls inbetween the running QB's like Lamar Jackson or Newton or Vick - and the pure pocket statues like Marino, Peyton or Brady.

It's an extremely mobile pocket passer. Like Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen. That's the type of guys I think you strive for, and don't necessarily have to redesign an offense specifically to fit their skillset.
Feel like Burrow and Tua are another subset. Somewhere in between a Wilson/Mahomes and those pocket passers you mentioned - we all grew up watching. Montana- Marino- etc.

Yeah either that or Miami is really interested in Herbert.

It could be a number of things, smoke screen, interest, intriguing measurables, or because of his inconsistencies they have to really dissect his game to determine if he is a good enough prospect to draft if others they want before him are taken.

Totally agree the QB position is rapidly moving towards superior athleticism
and that's happening from the grass roots up. The NFL can ONLY respond to
the available talent pool and if the "traditional" QB spec is not available
in the college pool then you have to gravitate towards the "market."

This "fact" puts a bright light on a kid like Lawrence who seemingly combines
traits of both worlds and therefore could be (?) the ideal prototype in the near
future. Bottom line you want to look for kids that are mobile and capable of
taking off and getting chunks of yards when the opening is there AND be a
consistent threat in the RPO game -- and be a functional passer.

I always go back to dudes like Steve Grogan who (IMO) would fit the contemporary
game better than he did back in his day. The only thing that will stop this trend is
sustainability -- meaning the punishment at the new QB position will be
too intense to realistically maintain...

If the game has changed, let's draft Ian Book in the fifth. He's rushed for 550 at 5 a pop last season, and he can throw i a little too. And fire Chan Gailey.

So if I piece all of your thoughts on the draft together..

1A - Lamb
1B- Higgins
1C - Dobbins

2nd/3rd round O line

5th - Ian Book

Then fire Chan Gailey before a snap of football, roll into next season with Fitz and hope Rosen turns the corner?

While I do not agree I can appreciate your commitment to what you think is best.

Totally agree the QB position is rapidly moving towards superior athleticism
and that's happening from the grass roots up. The NFL can ONLY respond to
the available talent pool and if the "traditional" QB spec is not available
in the college pool then you have to gravitate towards the "market."

This "fact" puts a bright light on a kid like Lawrence who seemingly combines
traits of both worlds and therefore could be (?) the ideal prototype in the near
future. Bottom line you want to look for kids that are mobile and capable of
taking off and getting chunks of yards when the opening is there AND be a
consistent threat in the RPO game -- and be a functional passer.

I always go back to dudes like Steve Grogan who (IMO) would fit the contemporary
game better than he did back in his day. The only thing that will stop this trend is
sustainability -- meaning the punishment at the new QB position will be
too intense to realistically maintain...

Could you imagine Fran Tarkenton now, with today rules and his style of play. He would be another Russel Wilson

Believe it if you want to or not, but i've heard from someone i believe that Grier is extremely fond of Herbert and would of sold the farm to get him this offseason should he have came out.

Grier DOES NOT make the decision on best QB. Organization decision

Could you imagine Fran Tarkenton now, with today rules and his style of play. He would be another Russel Wilson
Doug Flutie would be a blast to watch play in current conditions...

Back
Top Bottom