Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

Could you imagine Fran Tarkenton now, with today rules and his style of play. He would be another Russel Wilson

It'd be pretty interesting to see Tarkenton, Archie Manning, Vick, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young play under the current rules and the direction the game has moved.

It'd be pretty interesting to see Tarkenton, Archie Manning, Vick, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young play under the current rules and the direction the game has moved.

Especially the older guys since they were not protected in the slightest, they were tough and could take viscous hits. Most still playing for over a decade. Funny to see that they protect players more then ever now but on field injuries seem to be higher. Maybe I am just seeing it in too small of a scope but I feel like when they could hit in practice defenses were better at tackling and line play on both sides was better. You obviously have to protect the head area but there has to be a balance. The game is flag football now, o line play is horrid league wide. And tackling is a total lost art, the guys who are good end up with 15 a game which i feel like use to be the standard. Now its like 7 shoulder tackles and 5 missed tackles a game.

So if I piece all of your thoughts on the draft together..

My thoughts are, we do not need THE quarterback, we just need A quarterback. And we need A good quarterback, because good quarterbacks give you a chance at winning superbowl on rookie contract. They are phenoms. They perform on rookie contract. That's what we want.

Now, to find one like that, you need to draft one that matches up to previous phenoms who came out of college and performed on rookie contract. That's what we want, a quarterback who matches up to previous phenoms. If a quarterback does not match up, that quarterback is not draftable. I do not care how good he looks and what the excuses are.

I am not clairvoyant, and I do not know who will actually perform, but because I am not clairvoyant, I do not try to be clairvoyant. I am just setting standards: a quarterback must match previous phenoms. And I am not making any statements about which of these prospects will actually be great, because I do not care about that, because I am not clairvoyant. But I am making a statement about risks. For example, Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold is undraftable, because they do not match up to previous phenoms, and risks are great that you will waste a 4-year contract, therefore I am not interested and they are undraftable.

Thus for example, Jake Fromm does not match up because Jake Fromm in his last college season has under 63% completion percentage, and 16.5 attempts per touchdown which is high. That does not match up to previous phenom quarterback, and I am not interested in Jake Fromm because there is a significant risk that Jake Fromm will give you nothing in terms of what you need, which is a quarterback who performs on rookie contract to lead you to playoffs and give you a chance at SB. He most probably will not do that, I am not interested in Jake Fromm. He is undraftable to me.

Another example: Anthony Gordon matches up to previous phenoms across the board. Has over 63% completions, has over 20 attempts per sack, over 40 attempts per interception, under 15 attempts per TD. He is draftable, I want him, and I would take him #1 overall, because he meets the standards of what I want. So is Jalen Hurts.

I am not married to any particular quarterback, I am married to standard. Since some of the quarterbacks I am looking for will be available later, I am perfectly fine not drafting a quarterback in the first round. And I feel there is an opportunity to get talented players on offense to help the team score, and help the quarterback who I will draft later.

And same goes for wide receivers, there are standards. Must have two seasons of over 50 catches, over 15 YPC, and over 10 TDs, or near to it. There are some great receivers, great, in this draft, and we should get them. One being Tee Higgins.

Same goes for running backs. Must have total, over 400 rushes last two seasons, over 11.0 added yards per rush, and over 35 TDs total last two seasons. There is only one back in this draft who meets the standard, that is Jonathan Taylor. But if you watch film, Taylor does not have elite traits, like Dalvin Cook's speed, or agility of Saquan, or sheer power of Henry. That is a problem. That beings so, since pickings are slim, I am looking at other backs who I like, and one of them is Najee Harris.

So if I was drafting, by standards, I would get:
5. Tee Higgins WR
18. Jonathan Taylor RB
27. Anthony Gordon/Jalen Hurts QB

And then on day 2 I would draft Oline, and big fat ones 320+.

Hope this helps clarify.

When it comes to defense, two things: 1. LB and Dbsmust be superathletic. We won't know anything about them until the combine. adn 2. In the trenches, grown men take time to grow. Get them in FA.

Last edited:
Been part of this particular board for over 10 years and I've never seen a single quarterback in that time that wasn't criticized on this board. They were all overrated. From Matt Ryan all the way to Kyler Murray.

The perfect quarterback with no question marks is never going to come along, and Trevor Lawrence won't be it either. I'll have more on that when the time comes.

As I said, I’d have more on this when the time comes. Lot different when the DB’s aren’t falling on the ground and you have to face a little pressure.

Let’s have a look shall we...

Like others are posting, the mobile QB fad WILL NOT sustain long-term in the NFL. One significant reason is that defenses are much stronger with better athletes overall, than in the college ranks. Most college teams have a few heavy hitters and more average guys. Pro Defenses are ALL big heavy hitters or they are simply not there at all. rgIII 2.0 awaits some team. It may be jackson, it may be tua, but soon there will be another epic fail of a QB injury-wise.

OLmen are BORN to protect a QB who can BE protected. Making him an open invitation for kamikaze hits takes away from the job of the OL. This is also why the pocket passer legends last so long.

Football works better as a game when the QB is a collector-distributor to deal the ball off to better athletes while being protected by a strong OL. All positions and facets of the game mesh better.

Been part of this particular board for over 10 years and I've never seen a single quarterback in that time that wasn't criticized on this board. They were all overrated. From Matt Ryan all the way to Kyler Murray.

The perfect quarterback with no question marks is never going to come along, and Trevor Lawrence won't be it either. I'll have more on that when the time comes.

Agree. Pre-internet, I remember guys saying that prime Marino‘s success was only good because of his receiving corps. They were a minority for sure but having detractors is a given. One of the beautiful things about football is that there will never be the perfect player because of all the diverse things that can happen on the field. There is give and take. Much of what determines success is matching personnel to what you ask them to do. Coaches lIke Gase try to force fit the player into a predetermined scheme. Others, like Shula, BB, and Andy Reid take yourn’s and beat hisn’s and vice-versa. Let’s hope Flores is in that camp. I kind of think he is. I will be disappointed if he isn’t.

My thoughts are, we do not need THE quarterback, we just need A quarterback. And we need A good quarterback, because good quarterbacks give you a chance at winning superbowl on rookie contract. They are phenoms. They perform on rookie contract. That's what we want.

Now, to find one like that, you need to draft one that matches up to previous phenoms who came out of college and performed on rookie contract. That's what we want, a quarterback who matches up to previous phenoms. If a quarterback does not match up, that quarterback is not draftable. I do not care how good he looks and what the excuses are.

I am not clairvoyant, and I do not know who will actually perform, but because I am not clairvoyant, I do not try to be clairvoyant. I am just setting standards: a quarterback must match previous phenoms. And I am not making any statements about which of these prospects will actually be great, because I do not care about that, because I am not clairvoyant. But I am making a statement about risks. For example, Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold is undraftable, because they do not match up to previous phenoms, and risks are great that you will waste a 4-year contract, therefore I am not interested and they are undraftable.

Thus for example, Jake Fromm does not match up because Jake Fromm in his last college season has under 63% completion percentage, and 16.5 attempts per touchdown which is high. That does not match up to previous phenom quarterback, and I am not interested in Jake Fromm because there is a significant risk that Jake Fromm will give you nothing in terms of what you need, which is a quarterback who performs on rookie contract to lead you to playoffs and give you a chance at SB. He most probably will not do that, I am not interested in Jake Fromm. He is undraftable to me.

Another example: Anthony Gordon matches up to previous phenoms across the board. Has over 63% completions, has over 20 attempts per sack, over 40 attempts per interception, under 15 attempts per TD. He is draftable, I want him, and I would take him #1 overall, because he meets the standards of what I want. So is Jalen Hurts.

I am not married to any particular quarterback, I am married to standard. Since some of the quarterbacks I am looking for will be available later, I am perfectly fine not drafting a quarterback in the first round. And I feel there is an opportunity to get talented players on offense to help the team score, and help the quarterback who I will draft later.

And same goes for wide receivers, there are standards. Must have two seasons of over 50 catches, over 15 YPC, and over 10 TDs, or near to it. There are some great receivers, great, in this draft, and we should get them. One being Tee Higgins.

Same goes for running backs. Must have total, over 400 rushes last two seasons, over 11.0 added yards per rush, and over 35 TDs total last two seasons. There is only one back in this draft who meets the standard, that is Jonathan Taylor. But if you watch film, Taylor does not have elite traits, like Dalvin Cook's speed, or agility of Saquan, or sheer power of Henry. That is a problem. That beings so, since pickings are slim, I am looking at other backs who I like, and one of them is Najee Harris.

So if I was drafting, by standards, I would get:
5. Tee Higgins WR
18. Jonathan Taylor RB
27. Anthony Gordon/Jalen Hurts QB

And then on day 2 I would draft Oline, and big fat ones 320+.

Hope this helps clarify.

When it comes to defense, two things: 1. LB and Dbsmust be superathletic. We won't know anything about them until the combine. adn 2. In the trenches, grown men take time to grow. Get them in FA.
Gordon has some tools to work with. That game vs UCLA was insane

tenor.gif

Or maybe just maybe, they are doing their jobs and doing their due diligence? Or is that just too crazy of an idea.

I don't care for Herbert but we should absolutely be looking hard at every QB prospect this off season.

Please stop with the smokescreen non sense.
Smoke

Gordon has some tools to work with. That game vs UCLA was insane

Came in to senior bowl under 200 lbs, it's a big red flag, unfortunately.

I was also disappointed that Hurts measured at 6-1. It's a no for me.

Herbert being barely good enough, I'd take a chance on Cole McDonald, if it's not Herbert.

NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png

Justin Herbert QB, College Player

Oregon QB Justin Herbert was named the 2020 Senior Bowl MVP.

Herbert was considered the best quarterback prospect at the event with Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa not participating, and he lived up to the hype. Not only did Herbert bring home the MVP trophy of the game, but he was also named the practice player of the week. Herbert is on track to be a fringe top-10 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Source: NFL Draft on Twitter

Jan 25, 2020, 6:01 PM ET

Back
Top Bottom