Report: Dolphins trying to get to third pick without giving up fifth | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins trying to get to third pick without giving up fifth

I don't see how we get to #3 while keeping #5 without a third team involved. The Lions regime isn't going to drop from #3 to #18 when their jobs are on the line next season.

Enter the Arizona Cardinals. We give them #18 and #39 to get to #8, then package #8 with #26 to wind up at #3.

The first trade would have to happen pre draft obviously, don't see the Cards moving until a playmaker like Simmons comes off the board

Breer: 'I Can't Find Anyone' Who Believes Dolphins Draft Tua Tagovailoa at No. 5
SCOTT POLACEKAPRIL 23, 202020

Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (13) throws a pass against Mississippi State during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Rogelio V. Solis/Associated Press
The Miami Dolphins may not draft Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa after all.
"I can't find anyone inside the league who believes Miami is taking Tagovailoa at No. 5—which could mean that GM Chris Grier's put up a tremendous smokescreen," Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated wrote.
Breer noted "there have been rumblings" the Dolphins and Los Angeles Chargers, who have the No. 6 pick, "may pass on the position altogether at those spots and address tackle needs instead."
On the surface, taking potential franchise quarterbacks makes sense for Miami and Los Angeles.
The Dolphins haven't won a playoff game since the 2000 campaign and have largely been afterthoughts in the AFC East while Tom Brady dominated for the New England Patriots. However, Brady is no longer on the Patriots, and there is a vacancy for a new quarterback to emerge as the top option in the division.

As for the Chargers, Philip Rivers joined the Indianapolis Colts after starting every single game for the AFC West team during the last 16 years. If there was ever a time to start over at the position with a new rookie who could occupy the spot for seasons to come, it would be now.
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller projected the Dolphins to select Tagovailoa and the Chargers to take Herbert in his most recent mock draft.
Still, Breer's suggestion that both teams could take offensive tackles is also notable.
Football Outsiders ranked the Dolphins' offensive line as the worst run-blocking unit in the league and 28th-best pass-blocking unit in the league last season. The Chargers were better but have room for improvement at 13th-best in run blocking and ninth-best in pass protection.
There are a number of potential candidates for both teams to select in the top 10, as Miller projected Iowa's Tristan Wirfs, Alabama's Jedrick Wills Louisville's Mekhi Becton, Georgia's Andrew Thomas, Houston's Josh Jones and USC's Austin Jackson in the top 20.

I'm not a fan of moving up to 3. I'd prefer to draft a position player at 5 and keep our other resources. If moving up were all that important, we would have lost the miserable game to the Bengals and not pushed so hard to win against the Patriots. Then we'd have the #1 pick, take Joe Burrow--the Dolphins clear #1 QB prospect--and never have missed a beat. But since winning those two games were so important ... I'm not in favor of squandering our treasure trove of picks to move up. I wish we had Laremey Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Those two are Pro-Bowlers with multiple All-Pro potential ... that we let move out. Let's at least use those picks to build something great ... not just lock in on a single player who will certaintly be risky. Tua (injuries/durability, size), Herbert (leadership, consistency, anticipation, footwork, read progression), and all of the potential position players not named Chase Young all have serious risk.

This is NOT a good draft. The talent level is below average in this draft. The number of busts from this draft will be HIGH. It is more important that we pick good players at each position than put all our eggs into one basket and gamble. Yes, everyone looooooooooves to look at the potential, and when they hit, like Pat Mahomes with Andy Reid, it's sensational. But when it misses, like Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Jake Locker, Tim Couch, Ja'Marcus Russell, etc., their fans disappear into the woodwork. Hindsight is 2020. This draft is all about foresight. We need to HIT on guys, and we need to keep a high number of chances to hit (currently a draft high 14 picks). This team has a loooooooooooooooooooooooot of holes, and everyone is expecting a bounce-back year, or pressure really mounts on Coach Flo.

Back
Top Bottom