------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL

This site is pretty... off.

For example, because Davon Bess is a good blocking receiver, and because a lot of his catches went for first downs last year, he was ranked like 3rd best receiver or something like that.

Are you going to sit here and tell me that he was the 3rd best receiver in the NFL last year?

This site factors in A LOT of stuff that are not SO important. It needs to have a better weighting to whats important and whats less important.

Someone mentioned that Adrian Peterson is ranked 15th? Isn't that the part where we just throw this website out completely?

And how is Joe Thomas 1st/2nd when I've heard a lot of people saying he is having a down year?

It's nice to see how efficient players can be in some sense... but it's not worth a whole lot.

Take their RATINGS with a grain of salt.

However, this site is an absolutely invaluable reference for STATISTICS that you can't get elsewhere.

Again, ratings are subjective. They are not scouts. Take them with a grain of salt. Statistics are objective, and this place has them gathered and sorted to a resolution I've never seen before on any site other than perhaps STATS LLC (if you subscribe).

For instance, the fact that Cameron Wake has 15 QB Pressures and 6 QB Sacks on only 80 Pass Rush downs, is a very telling statistic. That percentage (26.3%) towers over the most prolific pass rushers in the league (Freeney, Mathis, etc).

So again, try not to focus on their ratings. But where it concerns Jake Long, you might pay attention to the fact that his Pressures allowed as a percentage of his total snaps, is one of the absolute lowest in the league, I believe second only to Joe Thomas.

Sorry guys, but we can't take these rankings with any sort of faith. I know its nice to hear compliments about our players. But these rankings are way off. These are just a few examples.

Tom Brady -10th best QB?
Adrian Peterson -10th best RB?
Davone Bess better than Randy Moss?
Jason Allen 13th best DE?
Nmadi Asomuga 25th best CB?
Troy Polamalu 26th best S?

I really wish the site didn't bother with ratings and just stuck with what it does best, gathering statistics.

I don't really like their rankings because it factors in to many things...but you can sort out who was graded as the best rusher and who was the best blocker for positions..

what I like is the stats especially like CB and S...but what I don't get is one, why don't they count HALF sacks and instead just go to the next number........and 2, they have Wake with 6 sacks when other places have him at 4.5.....

I would agree that wake has 5.5 though because I think a sack in the panthers game he had was given to Porter, not sure though.....

they have fasano as the #7 TE i would have to disagree with that.
Gibril wilson has gone up a lot since the begining of the season he is now at 36

Take their RATINGS with a grain of salt.

However, this site is an absolutely invaluable reference for STATISTICS that you can't get elsewhere.

Again, ratings are subjective. They are not scouts. Take them with a grain of salt. Statistics are objective, and this place has them gathered and sorted to a resolution I've never seen before on any site other than perhaps STATS LLC (if you subscribe).

For instance, the fact that Cameron Wake has 15 QB Pressures and 6 QB Sacks on only 80 Pass Rush downs, is a very telling statistic. That percentage (26.3%) towers over the most prolific pass rushers in the league (Freeney, Mathis, etc).

So again, try not to focus on their ratings. But where it concerns Jake Long, you might pay attention to the fact that his Pressures allowed as a percentage of his total snaps, is one of the absolute lowest in the league, I believe second only to Joe Thomas.

You state that the site owners are not 'scouts' and downplay their ratings but then say their stats are an 'invaluable reference.' Yes, statistics are objective when, and only if, they are collected properly by experts. Basically, statistics based on inaccurate observations are junk and meaningless.

In this case, the stats collected here are the basis for the ratings. So, either they are both flawed or neither is flawed. You can't claim there is a flaw in the ratings without a flaw in the stats and vice versa. The only factual data that can be confirmed is the actual statistics used by the NFL, ie. tackles, sacks, receptions, etc.

You state that the site owners are not 'scouts' and downplay their ratings but then say their stats are an 'invaluable reference.' Yes, statistics are objective when, and only if, they are collected properly by experts. Basically, statistics based on inaccurate observations are junk and meaningless.

In this case, the stats collected here are the basis for the ratings. So, either they are both flawed or neither is flawed. You can't claim there is a flaw in the ratings without a flaw in the stats and vice versa. The only factual data that can be confirmed is the actual statistics used by the NFL, ie. tackles, sacks, receptions, etc.

The amount of wisdom, experience and football knowledge it takes to amalgamate certain statistics into some measure that accurately represents the talent level of the player involved is a MOUNTAIN next to the molehill it takes to be able to watch a video and say "that guy pressured the QB". Interns can be put in charge of the latter. Some of the best coaches that have ever played the game will admit they can't accomplish the former.

Therefore, I reject your argument.

I'm telling you one of the biggest unsung heros in our pass prot has got to be vernon. Ppl never give the man credit on here but he's a beast! Watching tape on this guy I have always seen him take his man out of the play.. I know ppl on here love Jake but Vernon is our best olinemen by far, I can't wait to see them smash the pats @home!! Cheers boy..

ask me who the biggest unsung hero ON THE TEAM is and I say Lou Polite. Remember during the game Millen said, JT was asked who he wanted next to him if he was in a war and he said, Porter, Ronnie, and Polite.. The dude could be the next Lorenzo Neal if you ask me.

D'Brick gave up 2 sacks against Tully Banta-Cain yesterday so when they update that game D'Brick will fall well behind Jake.

The amount of wisdom, experience and football knowledge it takes to amalgamate certain statistics into some measure that accurately represents the talent level of the player involved is a MOUNTAIN next to the molehill it takes to be able to watch a video and say "that guy pressured the QB". Interns can be put in charge of the latter. Some of the best coaches that have ever played the game will admit they can't accomplish the former.

Therefore, I reject your argument.

Really? Which coaches? I would love to see those quotes saying what you just stated. And, no, I am not saying there are coaches that will admit to the opposite. I know it's not how players are evaluated.

And, I can accept that you're admitting the data is unusable even if you reject my argument. Your Cameron Wake vs. Freeney/Mathis example is proof of the flaws.

Fasano is ranked #7 because he is considered the third best best run blocking tight end in the NFL (behind Kevin Boss and Jason Witten, number one and two overall as well).

But yeah, I think anyone with a brain thinks Fasano doesn't belong anywhere near the Top 20-25 of tight ends in the NFL

Really? Which coaches? I would love to see those quotes saying what you just stated. And, no, I am not saying there are coaches that will admit to the opposite. I know it's not how players are evaluated.

And, I can accept that you're admitting the data is unusable even if you reject my argument. Your Cameron Wake vs. Freeney/Mathis example is proof of the flaws.

LMFAO. Ok man. Think what you want to think.

The statistical data gathered by the site is invaluable. The ratings system is flawed. I've made that clear.

Back
Top Bottom