------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL

Agree that the site's statistics are it's most important feature. Anyone who tries to dispute the depth of their stats is crazy. They allow for unparalleled access to things most sites don't track and is very easy to organize yourself. I'm in the beginning stages of using them to create my own ratings, it's pretty fun.

One thing I noticed combing through the CB stats is average yards given up per reception. Being in on 50% of the team's snaps, guess who the two worst CB's are. Vontae Davis at 19 ypc and Sean Smith at 18 ypc. I know they're young and it might reflect our strategy of being conservative, but it's pretty rediculous. No doubt they'll get better

LMFAO. Ok man. Think what you want to think.

The statistical data gathered by the site is invaluable. The ratings system is flawed. I've made that clear.

CK....how can the "invaluable" statistics be the basis of the flawed rating system and the statistics not be flawed as well?????

Surely we're looking at the same list, correct? :lol:

CK....how can the "invaluable" statistics be the basis of the flawed rating system and the statistics not be flawed as well?????

Surely we're looking at the same list, correct? :lol:

Let me demonstrate.

Player - Sacks Stat, Tackles Stat (ie. "invaluable" stats)
DE Alpha - 10.0 Sacks, 30.0 Tackles
DE Beta - 5.0 Sacks, 35.0 Tackles

Player - Proprietary Rating System (which = Sacks + Tackles)
DE Alpha - 40.0
DE Beta - 40.0

According to the rating system, which is based on perfectly objective and invaluable statistics amalgamated in a very subjective and flawed formula, DE Alpha and DE Beta are just as good as one another. But, we all know this to be false, in all likelihood.

Agree that the site's statistics are it's most important feature. Anyone who tries to dispute the depth of their stats is crazy. They allow for unparalleled access to things most sites don't track and is very easy to organize yourself. I'm in the beginning stages of using them to create my own ratings, it's pretty fun.

One thing I noticed combing through the CB stats is average yards given up per reception. Being in on 50% of the team's snaps, guess who the two worst CB's are. Vontae Davis at 19 ypc and Sean Smith at 18 ypc. I know they're young and it might reflect our strategy of being conservative, but it's pretty rediculous. No doubt they'll get better

I agree with you. It's a concern, especially with Sean's relative lack of closing speed (he's a 4.45 to 4.50 kind of guy).

But I will say this. These guys are trusted to take care of the deep ball by themselves a LOT in this scheme. Teams are not having a tough time isolating these cornerbacks in man coverage deep. That's a scheme thing. I think they invested a lot in these corners (Will Allen has a big long term deal, Vontae was a first round pick, Sean is a second round pick) because they plan to continue placing a lot of responsibilities on the corners that way. Eventually they'll just have to step up to the plate.

Gotcha.....unless DE A's 10 sacks came against 3rd round rookies....hobbled 6 year vets.....and pillow fighting tight ends.....

..while DE B's 5 sacks came against pro bowl caliber left tackles....

Just the same as OT (A) giving up 8 sacks to elite pass rushers...

...while OT (B) gave up only 4 sacks to guys signed off the street last week....

Stats are incredibly subjective......I try to never use them unless it somehow lowers my handicap....:lol:

I don't know about this thing, but according to it, we have 3 of the top 14 3-4 DE's in the league, and two of the top 7.

BUT DO WE REALLY HAVE THE TOP DEs IN THE LEAGUE?????

They also have VONNIE HOLIDAY RATED #3 in a 3-4 defense
There ratings are F'd up but they show important stats

Like Starks has 6 sacks...5 QB hits...10 QB pressures
Langford has...1 sack.....2 QB hits...8 QB pressures
Merling has ....3 sacks...3QB hits...4 QB pressures

Campbell has....5 sacks...5 QB hits....17 QB pressures
Smith has.....1 sack....11 QB hits...28 QB pressures
Mathis has.......9 sacks...10 QB hits...24 QB pressures
Freeney has....10 sacks.. 10 QB hits...29 QB pressures
Cole has.......9 sacks....11 QB hits....19 QB pressures
Williams has ....5 sacks....12 QB hits....22 QB pressures
Edwards has.....7 sacks....15 QB hits....23 QB pressures
Carter has ....10 sacks....14 QB hits...18 QB pressures
Allen has.....10 sacks....5 QB hits.....19 QB pressures

Just a few of the top defensive ends in 3/4 and 4/3 defenses compared stat wise to our players

Statistics are generally not subjective. They are objective in nature. The interpretation of statistics is subjective. It is impossible to come up with some statistics-based rating system without applying a subjective interpretation framework to an objective set of statistics. In your example you're assuming that the man with the most sacks is the better defensive end. That's the base assumption, the validity of which you question by citing specific theoretical examples. But the base assumption itself is a subjective interpretation of an objective statistic.

BUT DO WE REALLY HAVE THE TOP DEs IN THE LEAGUE?????

They also have VONNIE HOLIDAY RATED #3 in a 3-4 defense
There ratings are F'd up but they show important stats

Like Starks has 6 sacks...5 QB hits...10 QB pressures
Langford has...1 sack.....2 QB hits...8 QB pressures
Merling has ....3 sacks...3QB hits...4 QB pressures

Campbell has....5 sacks...5 QB hits....17 QB pressures
Smith has.....1 sack....11 QB hits...28 QB pressures
Mathis has.......9 sacks...10 QB hits...24 QB pressures
Freeney has....10 sacks.. 10 QB hits...29 QB pressures
Cole has.......9 sacks....11 QB hits....19 QB pressures
Williams has ....5 sacks....12 QB hits....22 QB pressures
Edwards has.....7 sacks....15 QB hits....23 QB pressures
Carter has ....10 sacks....14 QB hits...18 QB pressures
Allen has.....10 sacks....5 QB hits.....19 QB pressures

Just a few of the top defensive ends in 3/4 and 4/3 defenses compared stat wise to our players
You do realise DEs in a 3-4 have a totally different role to play than in a 4-3? In a 3-4 they need to occupy blockers and allow the pressure to come from the OLB, hence they get less raw stats. Don't forget also that we rotate the DL a hell of a lot, so that will naturally mean players get less stats, even if they are playing at a high level. For me it's been obvious that Randy Starks is having a fantastic season.

Smith ran a 4.53 combine 40 in gym shorts and running shoes
on a track so I doubt with the addition of pads,football cleats I would bet he is closer to 4.60 than the 4.45-4.50 kind of guy

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1881

First off, THIS LINK says he ran a 4.50 at the Combine and a 4.47 at his Pro Day, so yes I think I'm perfectly justified in saying he's between a 4.45 and 4.50 kind of guy.

Second, what in god's name is your point about the pads? There hasn't been a player in the history of the Indianapolis Combine or even at a school Pro Day that has chosen to run the 40 yard dash in full pads. Not one. The very concept of the "40 yard dash" as we know it involves not running it with pads on. If we're suddenly going to speculate what kind of speed Smith has with pads on, we would have to re-calibrate our ENTIRE perspective on what is and is not a fast 40 time, and have alllll of those players re-run the thing with pads.

Or, when I point out that Sean Smith is a 4.45 to 4.50 guy in the 40, you could just silently nod in agreement, since I'm 100% correct.

It's like Madden in real life!
Neat, but honestly it is pretty much useless come crunch time.

I think the ratings are pretty good especially if you take each element of the game in isolation. For example it shows that Jason Taylor has been better against the run than rushing the passer this season which pretty much confirms what you see from watching the games. Even the overall ratings are probably better than listening to the so-called experts views - listen to the commentators in the last game saying we're missing our best offensive lineman (Smiley) and you just realise that everyone has pre-conceived ideas about who is playing good and who isn't

Where the overall ratings fall down somewhat is the way some elements are overrated. I saw Henne lost 0.5 in the last game on his run blocking !!!

ProFootballFocus is one of my favorites. Jake Long has absolutely been playing like a top 3 LT this year. He had a rough start, but has been very good for most of the year.

Back
Top Bottom