------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------ REPORT: Jake Long #3 LT in 2009 NFL

It's pretty obvious nobody on this board knows how to look at these statistics. Fasano is ranked highly because he's one of the best blocking TE's in the league. Asomugha is ranked lowly because when people have decided to throw to his side, he's given up a completion almost every time. Again, most of you people aren't understanding what the rankings mean at all. Just because somebody is ranked better than somebody, doesn't mean they're better. The site goes by advanced stats that you really can't find anywhere else.

Ola

I work for the site so am happy to deal with the questions people have regarding it.

Firstly the rankings aren't worked out by looking at stats, the stats are more something provided as a seperate entity, though often they work in tandem.

As for the low rankings of some players ... we can only go on what we've seen this year. So while we have Tom Brady down the rankings none of us would say he isn't better than some of the guys below him. But he hasn't played as well as some this year, because of the injury. We're not telling people who are best players, but rather who have played the best this year (not taking into account garbage time which we don't grade, degree of injury or level of opposition)

We aren't trying to fix the results its just through a combination of the gradings people accumulate over the season

Any questionable rankings, hit me up and I'll do my best to explain. As a team we're in the fortunate position of watching every player in detail and sharing our views (I watch way too much football as it is :p) so feel confident in backing things up.

The overall rating thing was something we considered not implementing, but in the off season I'm keen to offer a feature that lets the user weight the different categories in each position.

What I don't understand is that Brick has a 9.7 rating for run blocking and Jake has a 2.2. Miami averages 5.2 YPC running behind long and the Jets average 4.4 YPC running behind Brick.

When you look at stuff like that it can be misleading, its more of a team thing. Ferguson can be driving his man back and taking players out of the game but if the play design is bad, the defense calls the right play or someone blows an assignment then all his good work results in nothing.

Its why we feel our gradings are more accurate, intelligent data than stuff that could have no real consequence in considering how a player is playing.

ProFootballFocus.com
This is the most complete, unbiased source for player evaluation in the NFL (outside of NFL personnel departments, ha):

They have a team of people watching EVERY PLAY for EVERY PLAYER on tape.
This is as close to a true SCOUTING REPORT/EVALUATION as anyone will every get:

NOTE: As of today (Monday, 11/23), they don't have yesterday's games completed yet, but they DO have Miami's Thursday game included, so Jake Long has 10 games evaluated, whereas all others have 9 games evaluated.

2009 NFL Season-to-date:
Jake Long ranked #3 LT (behind Joe Thomas & barely behind D'Brick)
Ryan Clady ranked #6 LT

Note: all tackles shown here, with games played at LT or RT indicated.
Also, great to see Vernon Carey by FAR the #1 RT.

Link:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpasteamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

They have tom brady the 10th best qb.

What I don't understand is that Brick has a 9.7 rating for run blocking and Jake has a 2.2. Miami averages 5.2 YPC running behind long and the Jets average 4.4 YPC running behind Brick.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This site has Long with a 3.47 yards when the Dolphins run behind him at left tackle or 22nd in the NFL

While D'Brickshaw has A 4.8 yard average when the Jets run behind him at left tackle or 6th in the NFL

THESE NUMBERS COULD INDICATE WHY D'BRICK WAS RATED HIGHER

CJGoCanes; One thing I noticed combing through the CB stats is average yards given up per reception. Being in on 50% of the team's snaps said:
I've been banging that drum for over 4 weeks now but if you
compare Davis and his 19.7 reception allowed average and go back 3 years he is still last out of 316 cornerbacks dating to 2007...guess who is number 314 out of 316....yep...Sean Smith with his 18.1 yard avg.

You want to be blown away check out how many total yards Davis has given up on so few snaps 400 snaps...590 total yards passing given up

You do realise DEs in a 3-4 have a totally different role to play than in a 4-3? In a 3-4 they need to occupy blockers and allow the pressure to come from the OLB, hence they get less raw stats. Don't forget also that we rotate the DL a hell of a lot, so that will naturally mean players get less stats, even if they are playing at a high level. For me it's been obvious that Randy Starks is having a fantastic season.

When one is voted to the pro bowl do they divide 3/4 and 4/3 defensive ends?????

They Have Culver as our best saftey...
Ricky Williams #3 RB
Jake Grove top 3 center
Starks #2 and Merling #7 for DL
Jason Taylor#5 OLB
They have Will Allen as our best CB....hmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom