Report: Zero Chance Brian Flores Pulls A Mcdaniels, Belichick On Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Zero Chance Brian Flores Pulls A Mcdaniels, Belichick On Dolphins

Not sure why some can be so down on him. His team is one game away from going to the super bowl for like the 100th time, damn them! He’s part of doing something right, every damn year! Let’s give him a chance.
I think it’s the Belichick tree thing - very odd that none of his assistants go on to be great coaches. However, it is also odd that they look like world beaters when they play NE (Mangini putting in the fake signals for BB to steal), Patricia and Vrabel this year so perhaps we’ll wipe the floor w them 2x per year. That would be worth it.

At this point, I couldn't care less. I'd be hard pressed to be any less enthusiastic for any other candidate at this point. If nothing else, then another 2-3 more punishing years of mediocrity should at least ensure the total clean house we've all been begging for ever since Ross bought the team (or at least be the straw that breaks his back to sell it). Prolly won't happen then, either.

I was hoping for a return to real men's football but I guess that is out of the question. I wanted a Harbaugh or - lacking that - at least a Munchak or a Campbell. Someone who would instill old school toughness, a power running scheme that feeds play-action deep passes, ball control and the ability to run for a 1st down on 3rd and short. Something that resembles balance and genuine strategy.

But, nope. Instead, we'll be chasing what everyone else in the league is doing: putting everything behind a flash QB above all else - and all that will matter to winning football games is the performance of this one player at this one position.

God, I have really begun to hate this sport. I was ready to walk away for good just before the Miracle made me reconsider. But I have to say now I really don't recognize - or very much enjoy - this pastime anymore. No balance between the run and the pass or anything that even remotely resembles it. No balance between defense and offense. The rules are absurd and what was once "chess on grass" is now fast-break basketball (ugh) on turf.

It's been over 40 years for me and there's plenty of other things to do in life. They say breaking a fan addiction to a sports team is one of the hardest things to do in life and every year football is designed to encourage fans of any given team to think this is the year they will truly enjoy the game again.

Maybe it's time to reclaim this annual schedule in my life...

The plan is to suck. Brian Flores offers nothing to contradict that plan. I guess we're in a win-win situation. Either he turns out to be good … WIN! Or he turns out to suck, which is the plan … win. My only fear is that he will be mediocre … like all of the other coaches we've had since the G.O.A.T. Don Shula was forced out for Jimmah Johns'n, who only proved he couldn't recreate the physically dominant Cowboys in Miami, he tied Dan Marino's hands behind his back and then always asked him to bail out the team after Johnson's approach failed almost every game, and then when the going got tough, he left.

I miss Don Shula. Dominating was so much more fun than sucking.

The plan is to suck. Brian Flores offers nothing to contradict that plan. I guess we're in a win-win situation. Either he turns out to be good … WIN! Or he turns out to suck, which is the plan … win. My only fear is that he will be mediocre … like all of the other coaches we've had since the G.O.A.T. Don Shula was forced out for Jimmah Johns'n, who only proved he couldn't recreate the physically dominant Cowboys in Miami, he tied Dan Marino's hands behind his back and then always asked him to bail out the team after Johnson's approach failed almost every game, and then when the going got tough, he left.

I miss Don Shula. Dominating was so much more fun than sucking.
We dominated with Shula?

And before you trash JJ you should know that Shula tied JJ's hands with cap implications because he loaded up on contracts and former 1st round players in his last year. I believe it was 13 former 1st round FAs that year we signed.

The problem JJ had was not that he couldn't coach but he underestimated the salary cap and the dead money impact. See, when JJ was coach of the Cowboys and gave Dallas two Superbowls there was no salary cap. The salary cap was put in place in the the mid 90s after JJ was gone from the Cowboys.
He ran into an open knife.

I loved Shula and he will always be considered of one of the great coaches we had. But I am not so blinded that I cannot see his short comings.

BTW, there is no plan to suck.

We dominated with Shula?

And before you trash JJ you should know that Shula tied JJ's hands with cap implications because he loaded up on contracts and former 1st round players in his last year. I believe it was 13 former 1st round FAs that year we signed.

The problem JJ had was not that he couldn't coach but he underestimated the salary cap and the dead money impact. See, when JJ was coach of the Cowboys and gave Dallas two Superbowls there was no salary cap. The salary cap was put in place in the the mid 90s after JJ was gone from the Cowboys.

I loved Shula and he will always be considered of one of the great coaches we had. But I am not so blinded that I cannot see his short comings.

You know better than to question whether we dominated with Don Shula. Silly. You are well aware of his numerous fantastic accomplishments and it's disappointing that you would even joke like that. He was light-years better than Jimmy Johnson, who only had a very brief period of success. Like Buddy Holly, Johnson's greatest accomplishment was leaving while on top. It kept his legend alive. Shula, on the other hand, succeeded against the test of time with Super Bowls, the only Undefeated Season, and yes, the most wins ever by an NFL coach. Had Jimmy Johnson coached as many years he would not have come anywhere close to the number of wins Shula has. And the worst part is … I know that you know this.

When a legend is being pushed out you expect him to pave the way for his successor? That just doesn't happen. New coaches are almost always brought into teams with bad situations. It is clear that the situation that Don Shula came into the Dolphins was far worse than the situation that Jimmy Johnson came into the Dolphins. When Johnson arrived the Dolphins were far more successful than most teams that fire their coaches. You could easily make the argument that he could have done what he did in Dallas and rebuilt it, or better yet, take a middling roster and make it good … but he couldn't do that.

Jimmy Johnson was a good coach, but he had ample time in Miami and lots of resources and he proved to be nothing more than mediocre. I'm not discounting his U of M years, nor his Dallas years, but as the coach of the Miami Dolphins he had PLENTY of time to prove his worth, and he couldn't.

We dominated with Shula?

To be fair, sucking without a plan hasn't worked all that well.

Did any other team in NFL promote Kris Richard?

For someone that still supports one of the worst QB's in the NFL you sure have a hard time giving new blood a chance.

And you have a very easy time reading into things. I was just asking if he had been promoted cause I wasn’t sure or not.

Relax Ariana Grande.

I get it, he doesn't elicit excitement. Neither did Frank Reich or Doug Pederson.

I am banking on a nobody who wants to be somebody rather than a guy like Jim Harbaugh. I am bothered by the NE ties though. Not only a Patriot but went to BC? Puke

I do like that he's more of a scout/talent evaluator by DNA then a true coordinator.

Ariana grande? I was just saying if he opts out we move to the next guy. Like the colts did with Reich.

At that point it does become whatev. Next man up.

I am going to be honest, this did not, or even still excite me that much with number 1, how underwhelming the defense looked, and number 2, all Patriots defenses will.begin and end with some to a lot of Belichick's goody prints all over it.

On the other hand you never know where the next great coach will be coming from, and you never know how much on an influence Belichick had on him.

As long as Miami gets a worthwhile O-coordinstor, after all, though the Pat's were nothing special stopping offenses on moving the ball on them, they were one of the best allowing TDs. Crossing fingers.

It would be funny as hell if the Saints got eliminated today and we hired Dennis Allen as coach
giphy.gif

Ariana grande? I was just saying if he opts out we move to the next guy. Like the colts did with Reich.

At that point it does become whatev. Next man up.

I used your post to make a joke about her dumb song Next. It’s better that you didn’t get it.

At this point, I couldn't care less. I'd be hard pressed to be any less enthusiastic for any other candidate at this point. If nothing else, then another 2-3 more punishing years of mediocrity should at least ensure the total clean house we've all been begging for ever since Ross bought the team (or at least be the straw that breaks his back to sell it). Prolly won't happen then, either.

I was hoping for a return to real men's football but I guess that is out of the question. I wanted a Harbaugh or - lacking that - at least a Munchak or a Campbell. Someone who would instill old school toughness, a power running scheme that feeds play-action deep passes, ball control and the ability to run for a 1st down on 3rd and short. Something that resembles balance and genuine strategy.

But, nope. Instead, we'll be chasing what everyone else in the league is doing: putting everything behind a flash QB above all else - and all that will matter to winning football games is the performance of this one player at this one position.

God, I have really begun to hate this sport. I was ready to walk away for good just before the Miracle made me reconsider. But I have to say now I really don't recognize - or very much enjoy - this pastime anymore. No balance between the run and the pass or anything that even remotely resembles it. No balance between defense and offense. The rules are absurd and what was once "chess on grass" is now fast-break basketball (ugh) on turf.

It's been over 40 years for me and there's plenty of other things to do in life. They say breaking a fan addiction to a sports team is one of the hardest things to do in life and every year football is designed to encourage fans of any given team to think this is the year they will truly enjoy the game again.

Maybe it's time to reclaim this annual schedule in my life...
I hear you and your description of from chess to fast break BB is really good. I can only hope defenses figure out how to adjust. I don’t like QBs hitting 70%+ of their passes w ease and when it goes go incomplete they get bailed out by the 5 yard auto 1st down. It’s not the same but I still have to follow my team. Otherwise I’d have no interest in the sport.

Back
Top Bottom