Reported on the Herald Site...Dolphins Thinking of Dumping Gardner??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reported on the Herald Site...Dolphins Thinking of Dumping Gardner???

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins seriously are considering the possibility of releasing veteran defensive tackle Daryl Gardener.

According to the source, Gardener's chronic health problems, coupled with a perception of erratic behavior, have prompted the team to take a close look at the pros and cons of parting ways with the first player drafted during the post-Shula era.

Gardener has been plagued by back problems for much of the past two seasons, and he's gone under the knife twice. Last year, Gardener and coach Dave Wannstedt traded verbal jabs regarding the 6'-6", 315-pound lineman's ability to participate in off-season workouts. Also, Gardener and retired receiver O.J. McDuffie got into a shoving match during practice last summer, which involved McDuffie's torso get acquainted with the turf.

This year, the current plan is to slide Gardener to the outside, in order to defray the loss of defensive ends Kenny Mixon and Lorenzo Bromell. As we previously have reported, the Dolphins nevertheless are concerned about the ability of Gardener to physically withstand the demands of playing on the end, given his past back troubles.

Thus, it now seems that the plan could change, and the Gardener might be cut loose. The cap savings would enable the Dolphins to beef up the D-line with guys like Sam Adams and any other guys who might get cut loose elsewhere as training camps open. We also wouldn't be surprised to see the names of former Miami Hurricanes Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland surface in connection with the Fins' efforts to beef up the line, if Gardener goes.

Gardener previously restructured his contract during the off-season, in order to reduce his $6.8 million cap number for 2002

No way we'd go after Cortez Kennedy or Russell Maryland IMO. They're old, out of shape, and out of football. It makes no sense to go after them when we got Larry Chester to replace Gardener.

BTW - Who's was that poster who knew a Phins player and talked about this stuff happening MONTHS ago?? I wish he would come back. If anyone remembers who he was, I'd like to shoot him an email.

the reason why dg was moved to end in the first place was to alleviate the pressure on his back...i doubt he will get cut considering he already restructured his contract and had a clear out the air meeting with wanny...it would also be an enormous cap hit...i think if he has a season ending injury this year thats related to his back then i think he may get cut next year...

Yea, I remember that guy. He said that Wanny was afraid of Gardener. I just didn't buy that one.

My only concern with dumping Daryl would be who replaces him?

We need a quality DE to hold up the left side.

See, I believed the guy, and although it took months for these stories to come out, he was right. He probably left because most of you guys were rude to him.

If we've got Larry Chester and are thinking of dumping Daryl Gardener the Defensive END, why would we replace him with Tez, Maryland, or Sam Adams?

You're right Ice. He left because everybody attacked him. I believed him and he was right. He also said that DG dogged it when he was going to face a badass player. And when he was gonna face a scrub, he worked hard all week. Hey 87. Do you know who that guy was?? I would like to speak to him.

Even though we've gotten a hint of this for the last few months, I'd still be SHOCKED if this deal goes down.

Hey Michael Strahan is having problems in New York, let's trade DG and either OG or JM and then sign Michael Westbrook??? Any takers?

Giants could use some speed at the WR position. I would trade McKnight and Gardner for Strahan. He would want too much $$ though.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Yea, I remember that guy. He said that Wanny was afraid of Gardener. I just didn't buy that one.

My only concern with dumping Daryl would be who replaces him?

We need a quality DE to hold up the left side.
Burnett w/b starter, but we'd be back to needing a veteran DE as a backup. Since Marco is gone, are we gonna bring in Sinclair, too :confused:

This one I am skeptical on, but will not dismiss...

Man please. DG is undoubtedly, hands down, THE best deffensive lineman on the Dolphins roster! You just dont get rid of talent like that. Yatil got 2 years under his belt before he was served his walkin' papers and he never stepped foot on regular season grass! The Dolphin organization has too much class and honor to pull some deadbeat crap like dumping a man whos only been productive when healthy, and cooperative when need be, as in restructures or pay cuts or what have you! No way the Dolphins cut Daryl Gardener this year, before he proves that either he can do it or he cant get it done! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to think you're right...

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
Man please. DG is undoubtedly, hands down, THE best deffensive lineman on the Dolphins roster! You just dont get rid of talent like that. Yatil got 2 years under his belt before he was served his walkin' papers and he never stepped foot on regular season grass! The Dolphin organization has too much class and honor to pull some deadbeat crap like dumping a man whos only been productive when healthy, and cooperative when need be, as in restructures or pay cuts or what have you! No way the Dolphins cut Daryl Gardener this year, before he proves that either he can do it or he cant get it done! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But as we are not in possession of the full facts it could well happen. And let's face it, if he doesn't appear to be cutting it in camp, the team has the right to make a decision for the good of us all. (Maybe there's more to the Burnett contract talks than meets the eye, too - I believe we upped the offer from the vet. minimum).

I'd do it....Here's why...

First, we cut D. Gardener. That would open up the opportunity to sign Pro-Bowl caliber DT S. Adams. That would most certainly solidify the middle of our DL. BIG TIME UPGRADE...

The injuries to DG last year at DT were a huge blow for our run defense. It showed big time how soft we were up the middle once he was gone for the season. Especially against the Ravens.

We have yet to see what DG can do as a DE, but we do know that the chances of him playing the entire season are slim...

We still have R. Burnett, D. Bowens, and A Ogunleye to play at DE if D. Gardener is dumped. I can honestly say that D. Bowens and A Ogunleye can get to the QB just as well as L. Bromell and K. Mixon did, if not better.

R. Burnett could maybe even handle the DE position??.....At least with those three DE's we've got a slight idea what we can expect from them. DG is an unknown at DE.

The addition of S. Adams would be awesome. Z. Thomas would be like a wild man without having to worry about guys like K. Mawea getting to him. The middle would be like a brick wall with T. Bowens and S. Adams in there......Running up the middle against those two would be a "no chance situation" for opposing offenses.

At DE, all we reallty need is a consistant, hard working guy. The addition of R. Burnett fits that mold, and makes this possible. We use him like T. Armstrong was used, and let D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye fill in like Bromell and Mixon did.....Makes sense to me.

Dumping D. Gardener, and signing S. Adams in return would be well worth the risk in my opinion. If DG could stay healthy for a whole season, I may reconsider, but he's a risk at DT or DE no matter how you slice it....

DO IT!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

Hell Nawww, No way, No how! Then the Larry Chester signing would be all for not! Front office Brass likes to keep mistakes as covert as possible!

Does anybody have the link to this thing that we've all gone and rum amuck (no offense Muck ;) ) on? I've scoured the Herald site and I can't even find any mention of DG recently, much less anything about him being released. I'll remain a sceptic until either I actually see this in print from a reputable source or DG pops up on the waiver line.

Back
Top Bottom