Reshad Jones Not At Ota’s, Posts On Ig | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reshad Jones Not At Ota’s, Posts On Ig

Dude, we're talking OTA's here, not full-blown contact practices. He was working out on his own, not practicing on his own, big difference. Technically OTA's are Voluntary, and teams are not allowed to penalize players for not attending. The OTA's are more for the rookies, and veterans who are new to the team. This is intended to give the new players a chance to learn the basics of the team's system and playbook before full training camp opens. In an environment where teams have basically full authority to determine who gets to be on the team and who doesn't, the majority of players "volunteer" to attend, the notable exceptions generally being players who are working through Free Agency, attempting to renegotiate their contract or are well-established veterans.
The first two weeks of the OTA window are just strength and conditioning. Weight room and running and that's about it. Suh had his own personal trainer with whom he worked out with so I doubt he was really missing much. He always showed up to camp ready to play.
Teams are allowed to do football things, but not offense vs defense. The offense can walk through the playbook and work on routes and the like, but they can't line up against the defense (linemen can engage against blocking sleds).
Teams are also allowed to schedule up to 10 days of full non-contact practice (no pads). Offense and Defense are allowed to line up against each other, but tackling and "full speed" blocking are not allowed. Offensive and defensive linemen can "engage" each other, but only at low speed and intensity. Defensive backs and receivers can run routes and defend, but no physical interruption of the route nor hits are allowed.
It was NOT training camp he was missing, he was missing a voluntary off-season program, it's called voluntary for a reason. Right or wrong, this is common practice around the NFL. Many teams would rather their star players sit out anyway, minimizing the chances of suffering an injury. He was a seasoned veteran, he didn't miss anything by not pushing a sled around and the new players who were trying to make the team could give two sh*ts if Suh was there or not.

Partner this discussion is not about the current OTA's practices. It's about players behavior. Suh took plays off, in games Suh missed organized practices that were not OTAs. Same thing he did in Detroit as mentioned in prior posts. When your a hired gun that's what you do you play for the money not the team. Jones just wasn't smart enough to take the plays off like Suh to prove his point instead he was dumb enough to sit on the bench. Heck Laundry got in a well timed fight once he reached his milestone in his last game against Buffalo. You can dream about team playing in the NFL all you want, free agency changed that long ago.

When the rules favor the owners, fans love to say things like, “A contract is a contract! Honor your deal!” OTAs are VOLUNTARY because it was collectively bargained, but somehow the players should come in to work anyway. Meanwhile, the people saying this are usually employees who never root for the owners. So weird.

Coach Flores was very clear when he said everyone gets a clean slate. Jones is still one of our best players. I didn't like the crap he pulled last year but Gase had a way of pushing everyone's buttons. So, when the mandatory practices come, if Jones comes in with the right attitude and works hard I'm all for forgiving him for freaking out last season and move on. You know Flores will be watching him.

Some of you guys really turn on players fast. Jones has been a great player for the Dolphins, especially considering he was drafted in the 5th round. He's been to Pro Bowls, he's always been in shape and he remains one of our best players. I say keep him, get him excited about buying in and you have yourself a quality Safety. We don't need more holes.

I get the feeling Jones is not sure he wants to be part of a rebuild and would rather play for a contender, he is 31 and has 2 or 3 years left in the NFL. With the ugliness between himself and Burke and pulling himself out of the game virtually killing any chance of some day seeing his name up on the ring of honor there little inspiration left to hang around, just a contract.

And the problem is his contract and the Dolphins ability to trade him without costing us mega $$$ and getting very little in return in draft capitol - plus the fact that they need him to implement some of there nickel and dime schemes and the fact that there is no one left in FA (not that i looked) even if there was it would cost $$$ so it's a lose/lose situation.

I would suspect he was hoping the Dolphins would move him, a little double dipping at the end of his career would help the bank account, they did it for Tannehill and even Quinn (buying down the contracts). I doubt they do it for him it wouldn't send the right message to the younger players and the fact that they need him this year, they will do it just on there schedule not his.

I see no win for the Dolphins here, Your going to over pay him 13 mil in 2019 - trade him after 6-1 it's 4 mil in 2019 and 8 in 2020 and it doesn't get much better down the road, best to replace him when we draft someone to take his place.

What a ridiculous thing to say. :lol:[/QUO

Yea sure I guess if your basing your opinion on just talent and not talent plus teamwork. You certainly would not have liked Shula either as he would not put up with that trash.

OK, Jones isn't too popular around here. I only ask you to consider how amazingly frustrating it was to be part of a crummy defense. Teams are running on you, passing on you and the opposition is winning time of possession by 20 minutes. On top of that, your Head Coach is an arrogant asshole who can't get along with anyone and he doesn't ever take a peek to see what's happening on defense. You're out coached at every turn and your DC is Burke, a guy who never should have been a DC because he's clueless. Athletes have pride and losing hurts and Jones is probably tired of all the incompetence that he's had to deal with as a Dolphin player. We finally have quality coaching on this team. It has been a long dry run on coaches down here. After Shula, we don't have much to brag about.

Let's see if Jones balls out this season. He's a lot easier to forgive if he makes some game winning plays for us!

Man, people really get upset about nothing.

It's VOLUNTARY for a reason. They don't need to be there. He's not missing anything exotic that requires detail to study. R.E.L.A.X

I promise someone said "sHuLa WoULdN't PuT uP wItH ThIs StUfFz"

LOL

Phinatic8u, thank you for the voice of reason. Honestly, this team has enough holes and lack of depth. It's not like were so deep and over talented in the defensive backfield. Jones is still in his prime so let's get some quality football out of him. The contract is not one we can get out from under easily so pay the man and play the man. I think Jones will thrive under Flores. The fact is, our defense might be damn good. We have some future stars to build around so things aren't so bad on that side of the ball. The d-line has Christian Wilkins, and I can't wait to see him play. He is coached by Marion Hobby who coached him at Clemson. Taylor, Godchaux and Spense round out a not to bad on paper d-line. LB has the kids from Ohio St. returning along with Kiko. Hopefully Andrew Van Ginkel will be a strong addition to the unit. With Howard, Minkah, Jones and McCain, all Pro Bowl quality players the defensive backfield should be tight. So, as I say, we have a chance to be pretty good. The fact that Flores is running the show on D makes a 100% difference. Here's to a tough, opportunistic defense.

OK, Jones isn't too popular around here. I only ask you to consider how amazingly frustrating it was to be part of a crummy defense. Teams are running on you, passing on you and the opposition is winning time of possession by 20 minutes. On top of that, your Head Coach is an arrogant ******* who can't get along with anyone and he doesn't ever take a peek to see what's happening on defense. You're out coached at every turn and your DC is Burke, a guy who never should have been a DC because he's clueless. Athletes have pride and losing hurts and Jones is probably tired of all the incompetence that he's had to deal with as a Dolphin player. We finally have quality coaching on this team. It has been a long dry run on coaches down here. After Shula, we don't have much to brag about.

Let's see if Jones balls out this season. He's a lot easier to forgive if he makes some game winning plays for us!
I'm a Jones fan. And I'm happy to give him a pass for last year.

That said, for the reasons you listed, I feel it's even more important for him to show up.

Get to know the new staff, scheme, players, etc.

End of the world? Naw.

Disappoiting? Yea..

Back
Top Bottom