Restructured Contracts and Cuts? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Restructured Contracts and Cuts?

I don't think KVN "goofed" and I don't think he nor the team come out bad on this deal. He's a 7-9mil/yr player... solid across the board, not really ELITE in anything.

To give him 15 up front is a lot and definitely more than he was worth. Lets say he gets a new contract with someone else for 3yrs/20-24mil... means he'll be getting exactly his worth over the course of 4 years, maybe even a little more considering he'll be at the tail end of his career.

The player and team both come out okay after this contract on a one year term. The plan for Miami was definitively to keep him for 2 years and we would have been fine if the cap was "normal". You would see us take a $2mil dead cap or something after the second year? No biggie. We took a slightly bigger dead cap hit cause no one expected the cap drop that happened. Miami gave themselves a little out after year one in case he was a MAJOR flop - he wasn't - but no one expected the coronavirus stuff.

Everyone wins. It was a smart contract by Miami and KVN cashed out nicely on one years worth of work and still will be able to get a solid contract after this one. When everyone wins, this is truly the sign of a GOOD DEAL.

I don't think KVN "goofed" and I don't think he nor the team come out bad on this deal. He's a 7-9mil/yr player... solid across the board, not really ELITE in anything.

To give him 15 up front is a lot and definitely more than he was worth. Lets say he gets a new contract with someone else for 3yrs/20-24mil... means he'll be getting exactly his worth over the course of 4 years, maybe even a little more considering he'll be at the tail end of his career.

The player and team both come out okay after this contract on a one year term. The plan for Miami was definitively to keep him for 2 years and we would have been fine if the cap was "normal". You would see us take a $2mil dead cap or something after the second year? No biggie. We took a slightly bigger dead cap hit cause no one expected the cap drop that happened. Miami gave themselves a little out after year one in case he was a MAJOR flop - he wasn't - but no one expected the coronavirus stuff.

Everyone wins. It was a smart contract by Miami and KVN cashed out nicely on one years worth of work and still will be able to get a solid contract after this one. When everyone wins, this is truly the sign of a GOOD DEAL.

Yea I mean it could work out for him in the end.

But certainly having $12.5 million guaranteed this year would of been nice vs. having to relocate and be an over 30 LB in what is certainly a crowded market with limited money in comparison to other years.

We'll see tho.

Not worried at all from Miami's perspective. Its the cost for FA and Grier did well to keep the cap in good shape and give us team flexibility.

Not to mention he only played 14 games so he made more than 1mill for every game he played in.

Yea I mean it could work out for him in the end.

But certainly having $12.5 million guaranteed this year would of been nice vs. having to relocate and be an over 30 LB in what is certainly a crowded market with limited money in comparison to other years.

We'll see tho.

Not worried at all from Miami's perspective. Its the cost for FA and Grier did well to keep the cap in good shape and give us team flexibility.
I think everything got turned upside down with covid - we've never seen a dramatic drop in the cap like this before. No one could have expected this. It was a good move by Grier we are in agreement and honestly KVN banked on this being a 2yr deal which would have been an EXCELLENT deal for him. As a one year deal, it jut ends up being "good".

Could be worse, I suppose.

Haha. This is great. I'd like to see you go to your boss and put your company first and take a pay cut.
Well I’m a firefighter and love my job so it’s tough. Firefighters are severely underpaid NFL players are not may be a little different but I still see your point. It’s probably not happening. I’m just hoping we can bring in a few more key pieces and keep building this thing.

Well I’m a firefighter and love my job so it’s tough. Firefighters are severely underpaid NFL players are not may be a little different but I still see your point. It’s probably not happening. I’m just hoping we can bring in a few more key pieces and keep building this thing.

The other thing to realize in your scenario is . . . the players have all the leverage when it comes to Lawson, Jones and Flowers. All 3 have guaranteed 2021 money so they have no incentive to take a paycut.

And Miami has no incentive to restructure the deal because they are already 32 million under the cap and the contracts are right where they want them to be.

Thank you for your service sir.

With free agency rapidly approaching I would like to see the following players put the team first and restructure there contacts and take pay cuts. Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Eric Flowers. As for players cut obviously KVN is out and following him I would say is Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson, and Allen Hurns. Thoughts on anyone else? I have a feeling we are trying to free up money to be aggressive in free agency. Fins up.

Three problems. 1) First money freed will go to Baker/Ogbah/Karras. Otherwise, 1 or more will likely be lost. 2) I expect X to get a bigger contract. Yes, it my be a small amount year one, but it will have to be paid eventually. 3) Restructuring to save cap in '21 saves money in '21, but takes from '22 forward. Too many restructures like that and Flo/Grier are eating into future cap. (see #2). I won't be surprised at 1-2 restructures, but more than that could be counterproductive. Moe cuts is more likely.

The other thing to realize in your scenario is . . . the players have all the leverage when it comes to Lawson, Jones and Flowers. All 3 have guaranteed 2021 money so they have no incentive to take a paycut.

And Miami has no incentive to restructure the deal because they are already 32 million under the cap and the contracts are right where they want them to be.
Both Flowers and Lawson are essentially on a one year deal for 2021. Both are very expendable or cuttable after the season. Which is something we are all expecting.

Cut Grant, Fejeldam, Perry, Bowden, all RBs not named Gaskin or Ahmed
I would rather see them cut Hurns than cut Bowden. While Bowden should only be a 5th or 6th WR at this stage of his career, he seemed to improve as the season went along and he got more chances to play. He is still learning to play WR in the NFL and he is a much cheaper option than Hurns.

As far as the other players you listed, hopefully they can draft or sign free agents who can come in and perform better than those players. Grant is certainly not worth the money he is scheduled to be paid next season.

I would rather see them cut Hurns than cut Bowden. While Bowden should only be a 5th or 6th WR at this stage of his career, he seemed to improve as the season went along and he got more chances to play. He is still learning to play WR in the NFL and he is a much cheaper option than Hurns.

As far as the other players you listed, hopefully they can draft or sign free agents who can come in and perform better than those players. Grant is certainly not worth the money he is scheduled to be paid next season.
Cut Ford as well

Haha. This is great. I'd like to see you go to your boss and put your company first and take a pay cut.
While that's basically true... the NFL is a completely different system than any other business. The players get a set % of all revenue, and this set amount must be paid out to the players as a whole. It's a zero-sum game and every single dollar that a player receives is a dollar that one of his teammates doesn't.

Your job is not like this.

No one's job is like this.

In THIS system, to be overpaid is to be taking dollars directly away from your teammates.

It is NOTHING like any other system... anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom