Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Isaac Asiata | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Isaac Asiata

Get rid of him. He was a stupid pick. Too old and too unathletic.

Thuney of the Patriots was a somewhat overaged prospect also, but he put up excellent test scores in one area after another, while Asiata flunked the same tests. I'm not going to scramble for the numbers but I remember comparing them side by side, and there was no comparison, like .4 in the 40 and shuttles and many inches in the jumps. Granted, it was 3rd round vs. 5th round but it was also smart drafting vs. dumb drafting.

Get rid of him. He was a stupid pick. Too old and too unathletic.

Thuney of the Patriots was a somewhat overaged prospect also, but he put up excellent test scores in one area after another, while Asiata flunked the same tests. I'm not going to scramble for the numbers but I remember comparing them side by side, and there was no comparison, like .4 in the 40 and shuttles and many inches in the jumps. Granted, it was 3rd round vs. 5th round but it was also smart drafting vs. dumb drafting.
Flores should evaluate. Asiatas numbers are .2 less than Quentin Nelson's, who I'd rather have as opposed to Joe Thuney.

said it awhile back... flip him into a NT... go back an watch him at the Combine.. he’s more suited to defense than offense... loves the aggressiveness of neck punching

Flores should evaluate. Asiatas numbers are .2 less than Quentin Nelson's, who I'd rather have as opposed to Joe Thuney.

About .3 in the shuttle and about .2 in the 3-cone, which is the difference between very good and not good at all. Asiata was also significantly older = more physically mature than Nelson at the time of their tests.

To Awsi's point, both of NE's OG's tested very well, and that movement shows up on tape. Both ran sub-5.0 40's in addition to testing well in the agility drills. 5.34 is very slow by comparison. Given his age, bad tape, and sluggish feet, I doubt the new staff will take much time evaluating Asiata.

Couldn’t seem to play in a game so what’s the point?

True, but again... your talking about the same coaches that didn’t use Drake properly. Seemed to take a promising Tankersly from his promising rookie year to lost?

Let the new staff evaluate... plenty of time to cut deadwood...

usa_today_11076785.0.jpg

Today, we will turn to the offensive line and take a look at guard Isaac Asiata.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/2...s-isaac-asiata-miami-dolphins-retain-tag-walk

I've long had the opinion a rookie HAS to get of the PS at the beginning of year 3 or he's gone. It doesn't take long for 'good' players to develop. Keep him though summer. If Flores and staff can't coach him up to 53 by summer, cut him loose.

You have to let the new staff evaluate him...I don’t trust who was coaching and evaluating last season.

I think Tankersly can play in the right system and coaching.
I agree. Let the new staff have a look. There's literally nothing to lose.

As far as CT, I don't know that he can be more than a #3, or #4 corner. There was a reason he was a third round pick. The biggest knock on him coming out was his propensity to draw flags.

One would think coaching could mitigate that, but that isn't always true.

You can predict that we didn't draft a QB during the 2019 NFL draft???
I think that is the prevalent working theory at this time.

I don't think @KBEE was making a prediction, as much as stating the "conventional wisdom" of the current situation.

It wouldn't shock me if we took a QB rd1, but I think the odds are low that we go that direction.

Even if Murray were there at #13, I would look for a trade down.

This is a "fluid" situation though. The combine, who's left on the board, etc, are some things that can affect the actual selection.

Not exactly young, he's 26 and entering his third year. Knock on him has always been his poor footwork and that's not something that's easily fixable...if at all.

If 26 is not that young, I'm so ffffffffffffked.

Footwork can improve drastically but you're right, not easily.

You've got to savagely train all offseason since day one, two-a-days 6 times a week; stations (a **** load), first step drills (monotonously over and over) and ofcourse one on ones (full speed).

I lived it (was so young)- took me from freshman JV to sophomore varsity.

But you've got to have one helluva fire to do something like that and your risk of injury greatly increases.

Back
Top Bottom