Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Ja’wuan James

marino13zach54

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
If you wouldn't retain, who do you replace him with?

^actual question not rhetorical

Mach2

Starter
Reaction score
This should be a good one.

My preference is to resigning, but not overpay.

If he will .accept a reasonable deal, keep him. If not, oh well.

meatpardle

Active Roster
Reaction score
Depends what he's asking for, but we should be aiming to retain. He isn't the best in the league but he's a top-half starting RT, and at the moment we are not a top half team. We don't need to create another hole we can't fill by losing him.

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think poor Guard play has made Ja'wuan James look worse than he really is. Aside from his penchant for pre snap penalties, I agree that we would retain him if we are in win now mode. Otherwise, replace him with a lineman we draft or a stop gap veteran for now. In a couple of years, when we are ready to compete, James' best days will be behind him.

jbyrd850

Rookie
Reaction score
If you wouldn't retain, who do you replace him with?

^actual question not rhetorical

Could take the Alabama kid in the draft and stick him at RT and have 2 bookend tackles for the next decade.

I'd be ok with bringing James back on a fair deal but he's not that good imo. He didn't live up to his draft pick.

miamiron

Super Duper Club
Reaction score
Good luck paying James anywhere near the $9 million per that's been floated around. New England's highest paid offensive linemen makes in the mid 5s and then it drops off from there.

Canon $5.5 mill base...round 5
Mason $4 mill...round 4
Thuney $2 mill....round 3
Andrews $560k...udfa
Brown ufa....7th round

I think the years of over paying offensive linemen
are going to be gone with this new crew

sinPHIN

Starter
Reaction score
i think you have to resign him as long as it is reasonable. if not it will just be another piece they have to figure out.

marino13zach54

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
I’d like to purge if it helps the cap.

The problem with purging the oline is not just creating yet another hole, but if you’re drafting a QB :cough: Murray, you can’t get him killed.

DPhinz_DPhinz

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
I'm cool with him walking...prolly get a 3rd round comp for him when he signs with another team for big money. Draft a guard in round two...I don't care what the Patriot way is.

Kingdom Come

Second String
Reaction score
Again, Dolphins have very little on the books after this year. James is nowhere near elite, but he is solid and irreplaceable. He also improved his run blocking this last year.

The way things are these days, if you have a mediocre OT you damn well better keep him, because the alternative could very well be catastrophic.

8.7 mil a year may sound ridiculous for an average RT, but this is today's NFL, not yesterdays. Teams living in yesterday end up in a dungeon.

Dolphins need to implement an entirely new interior OL, now is definitely not the time to let a bona fide starter at RT just go into free agency.

Transition tag is absolutely in play with James.

Ruckus45

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Resign. If you're going to get a rookie QB you'll have cap space and a need not to create a hole on the line.

DPhinz_DPhinz

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Again, Dolphins have very little on the books after this year. James is nowhere near elite, but he is solid and irreplaceable. He also improved his run blocking this last year.

The way things are these days, if you have a mediocre OT you damn well better keep him, because the alternative could very well be catastrophic.

8.7 mil a year may sound ridiculous for an average RT, but this is today's NFL, not yesterdays. Teams living in yesterday end up in a dungeon.

Dolphins need to implement an entirely new interior OL, now is definitely not the time to let a bona fide starter at RT just go into free agency.

Transition tag is absolutely in play with James.
He'll get more than $8.7 mill from Houston to replace Seantrel Henderson...Cleveland to replace Chris Hubbard.

Top Bottom