Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Ja’wuan James | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Ja’wuan James

Good luck paying James anywhere near the $9 million per that's been floated around. New England's highest paid offensive linemen makes in the mid 5s and then it drops off from there.

Canon $5.5 mill base...round 5
Mason $4 mill...round 4
Thuney $2 mill....round 3
Andrews $560k...udfa
Brown ufa....7th round

I think the years of over paying offensive linemen
are going to be gone with this new crew
one thing yall got understand Brady get that ball out quick. he help his oline out as well. if you cannot draft or develope players in later round of draft. you going pay for them. what you paying James today is going be noticing in 2 to 3 yr. pay man and find 2 OG and let get ball rolling and win some game.

Keep him, pay him, he is young, improving.

Imagine the uproar if he signs elsewhere and goes on to the Super Bowl....'another ex Dolphin blah blah blah...'

Good luck paying James anywhere near the $9 million per that's been floated around. New England's highest paid offensive linemen makes in the mid 5s and then it drops off from there.

Canon $5.5 mill base...round 5
Mason $4 mill...round 4
Thuney $2 mill....round 3
Andrews $560k...udfa
Brown ufa....7th round

I think the years of over paying offensive linemen
are going to be gone with this new crew

NE's offensive line play is the exception, not the rule.

I’d like to purge if it helps the cap.

The problem with purging the oline is not just creating yet another hole, but if you’re drafting a QB :cough: Murray, you can’t get him killed.

Even if it's not a QB THIS year, Miami can't reasonably fill TR, RG, OC, LG with capable players in one year AND fill every other hole. Resign if the money is reasonable

Ever since Philbin wanted finesse over physical, Miami's o-line has been bad. (Philbin also kept Pouncey, who IMO was also somewhat weak and finesse, and actually bobs his head right before every snap!) Philbin and Gase prefer a similar style of offense, so it's no wonder that both of their o-lines were poor. The only time in the past 7 years under Philbin/Gase that the o-line was semi-decent was the beginning of the 2018 season, and that was due to a few veteran Free Agents in the interior of the line. When they went out with injuries, the line went right back to being inept. Those guys were from other teams; the linemen that Miami selected were the ones that were mostly bad. I say that it's the type of lineman that Miami has wanted over the past 7 years that is the problem.

As for James, his play doesn't merit the amount of money Miami is paying him. He's a weak, finesse player and Miami needs tough, physical players. Trade him, or let him walk. The only way I'd want him on the team is at a greatly reduced salary as a back-up.

James is not going to take less then top 5 RT money (BYE) Davis plays RT much better then Guard

If we’re blowing it up, then let him walk. Especially if were not drafting a QB this year. (If that’s the case)

If we’re blowing it up, then let him walk. Especially if were not drafting a QB this year. (If that’s the case)
This.

The plan is to tank in 2019, get a rookie QB in 2020. Let's start rebooting the OL now. Keep Tunsil, because he's an elite player at a marquee position. Everyone else is disposable. Sitton is too old and expensive, so either a stopgap or move on from him. Kilgore is a journeyman we don't need. I would keep Swanson because he played fairly well, and Davis because he's young, cheap, and can play across the OL. Brendel has potential, so if the coaching staff likes him, he could stay. I'd say get rid of everyone else and draft new starting OL in 2019, let them play and gain some chemistry for when our QB arrives in 2020.

James is going to command big money, decent tackles always do in free agency. He's always had nagging injuries, and those will only get worse. We're definitely not in win-now mode, so we can take the downgrade if needed. He's not the long-term solution, nor is he a salary cap good decision.

I agree with what @Marino1313 said, "If we're blowing it up, then let him walk."

Back
Top Bottom