Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Travis Swanson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retain, Tag, Or Walk? - Travis Swanson

Better keep Swanson, Brendal, and a backup. Neither of the first two can stay healthy.

Add Sitton who's been a bit banged up the past 3 years to the list and Killgore who's played 1-16 game season the past 5 years

I'll be happy with most anything but
for the love of God,Please don't bring back
Ted Larsen

I would retain but I’d prefer him as depth. Also, Pouncey made the pro bowl w SD?

I’d bring him back on a one year. He can fire those barely can get your hands up shotgun rifle snaps to some other qb.

Bring him and brendel back. Dump the Kilgore contract.

I’d bring him back on a one year. He can fire those barely can get your hands up shotgun rifle snaps to some other qb.

Bring him and brendel back. Dump the Kilgore contract.

Yea I mean I would cut Larsen, Kilgore and Sitton . . . . .while retaining Swanson, Brendal and Davis.

Doesn’t mean I envision all 3 of those youngsters starting but combined with whatever other young interior guys we bring in . . . .it beats having the 33, 32 and 31 year olds competing for starting jobs.

Yeah davis Swanson and brendel should be retained. All dirt cheap too.

If anyone goes I’d guess Swanson if they have concussion concerns.

I'd retain him, but ultimately it's going to come down to the system that the new OL coach wants to run. If its a zone scheme they could well cut him loose and build with Brendel.

I just hope that the new Coaching staff will NOT be running the same ineffective blocking schemes that were run under Philbin and Gase with their dink-and-dunk offenses.

I’m OK with Swanson and Brendan as backups.
We should add a combo FA & early RD pick at Guard and Center.
Competition for Sitton & Davis at Guard.
Anchor at Center. Top 10 type Center or 2nd Rd pick with upside.

I just hope that the new Coaching staff will NOT be running the same ineffective blocking schemes that were run under Philbin and Gase with their dink-and-dunk offenses.
It's not quite that simple actually. The vast majority of the NFL runs some flavor of the Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS) so while some OL coaches teach slightly different techniques for how to pull it off, the basics are the same, and they require the same abilities and skills. ZBS always requires more nimble and athletic blockers to get to the space and wall off defenders. Power schemes require more strength to move defenders. It used to be that almost all the offenses used power schemes, but today it's pretty rare.

Guys like Jim Harbaugh at San Francisco had great success running power schemes with big strong OL and powerful ramrod FB to blast open holes in small and weak defenses built for speed by sacrificing power and stamina. So going counter to the trend actually ended up being very effective. Sure, John Harbaugh in Baltimore does the same thing, but there weren't many coaches embracing the old guard techniques. It lessens the number of plays, keeps the scores low, minimizes the passing game and maximizes the run game. All in all, those offenses aren't very efficient either, but it's the classic strategy of dominating the run game, wearing them down so that they can't stop you in the 4th quarter, and letting your defense win the game 9-6. Although today, those low scoring games are more like 19-16. Fans tend not to like it, owners don't like it, and it leaves very little margin for error. But with defenses built for speed, it's also unstoppable if done correctly … and that's very appealing.

The trend in the NFL rules has been to enable more passing. This had led to great offenses and every passing record (previously they were all held by Dan Marino before passing was made easy) being broken. It has helped ratings, which helps sponsorship, which makes the players rich and the owners' investments more valuable. So, most successful teams have shifted to pass-first offenses, requiring defenses to shift to defend that, which means everything else is sacrificed to get more speed.

Most of those passing offenses are variations of West Coast Offense principles built on using the short passing game to generate drives and simulate the running game. But it's not the same thing. When a QB drops back to pass, he has several receivers running routes to differing depths, so a good QB can see someone open deep and throw deep, leading to exciting chunk yardage plays and more TD's. Also, the short pass gets the ball past the DL into the hands of quick-twitch athletes who are now in the open field, meaning every play can potentially be broken into a chunk yardage play. And, when passes are incomplete, the clock only loses like 7 seconds instead of 30 seconds, leaving more time for more plays and more points. It all snowballs into fast moving quick strike offenses that can be exciting and score way more points.

But the question is … do you want to score the most points you can or do you want to score more points than the other team? Winning is about scoring more than the other team. Those power schemes that the Harbaughs like to run have done a decent job of scoring more than the other team, and that's the type of system that best suits Travis Swanson, despite him doing fairly well in the ZBS this year.

Back
Top Bottom