Retooling The Offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retooling The Offense

This offense is horrible and i cant see how adding Tannehill to it next year. With the possible chance of us not winning another game and getting a high draft pick , should we draft a QB if a top prospect is available at our pick ? TE has to be addressed because the JT is not cutting it . I think Landry is gone next season and Devante Parker is in his 3rd season and still hasnt looked like a top pick. The O Line has to be redone because its just awful. How should the Dolphins go about retooling the offense ?

They need to make O-Guard top priority in FA (I am not talking more 2nd or 3rd rate, last year of their career either), and depending on how the draft falls (Where Miami Picks...who will be declaring early...chances of someone special falling if Miami does not pick in the top ten), Miami needs to get a quality TE that can be a redzone nightmare for team.

AS for Tannehill, if he looks on schedule, and able to come back, you get a quality QB that can be a back up, and maybe in the future a starter in the later rounds, but if Tannehill's return looks iffy, then you may need to try and get a QB in the 1st or 2nd at worst.

You will needs to also get another guard or Center (depending if Pouncey will restructure his contract) in the 3rd or 4th.

Come out of FA with at least one quality Guard that can start right away, and come out of the draft with at least a QB (Backup or possible Starter depending Tannehill), a top or the top TE candidate in this draft, and another quality interior linemen that can start right away...after that Miami can try and find more help at positions like FS, DE, and LB.

TE Gary Barnidge is still a FA. I don’t understand why Cleveland cut him unless it was for money issues. Maybe Miami should sign him for a year or 2 until they can finally find a TE in the draft after dealing with other holes that need fixed.

They need to make O-Guard top priority in FA (I am not talking more 2nd or 3rd rate, last year of their career either), and depending on how the draft falls (Where Miami Picks...who will be declaring early...chances of someone special falling if Miami does not pick in the top ten), Miami needs to get a quality TE that can be a redzone nightmare for team.

AS for Tannehill, if he looks on schedule, and able to come back, you get a quality QB that can be a back up, and maybe in the future a starter in the later rounds, but
if Tannehill's return looks iffy, then you may need to try and get a QB in the 1st or 2nd at worst.

You will needs to also get another guard or Center (depending if Pouncey will restructure his contract) in the 3rd or 4th.

Come out of FA with at least one quality Guard that can start right away, and come out of the draft with at least a QB (Backup or possible Starter depending Tannehill), a top or the top TE candidate in this draft, and another quality interior linemen that can start right away...after that Miami can try and find more help at positions like FS, DE, and LB.

As others have said, I think it's reasonable to think one of Brendel, Larsen, Asiata, Smith can fill one of the needs. As for FAs, I don't think Miami NEEDS an elite OG. Get a top third OG and that will solve a lot of problems. TE and a fast LB would help a lot. THere are a number of positions that could use upgrades, but I see few that fall to crisis mode.

Sign
TE Trey Burton
RB Alfred Morris
WR Jordan Matthews (to replace Landry if too much money)

Obviously redo OL as needed

We have to start in the middle of the O-Line, at Center. In recent memory, the best this line has played overall was when we brought back Samson Satelle to play Center and put Pouncey at Guard. Playing Center requires more than athletic ability...it requires smarts (to be in-sync with the QB, to call the right blocking schemes)...and Pouncey just doesn't have that...he never has. In our history, we've been blessed with 2 of the best Centers ALL-TIME (Langer and Stephenson). Very few NFL teams can claim something like that. Good teams are built from the middle-out (QB, Center, MLB), but we've spent more time and money on the outside (LT, WR, DE) than the core of our team. To me, that's one of the biggest flaws.

The problem with fixing the offense is that the defense needs help too and we don't have a lot of money under the cap and only one extra pick in the 7th round. I know we have two picks in round 4 but none in round 5 and with t-dumb and Grier in charge we can't expect much. We gotta hope that Tannehill comes back 100% healthy AND doesn't get hurt again and RM and Lippett comes back 100% healthy too but we still need help at
DE,TE,RB, all over the o-line and we need a young QB to groom

Ozzy rules!!

As others have said, I think it's reasonable to think one of Brendel, Larsen, Asiata, Smith can fill one of the needs. As for FAs, I don't think Miami NEEDS an elite OG. Get a top third OG and that will solve a lot of problems. TE and a fast LB would help a lot. THere are a number of positions that could use upgrades, but I see few that fall to crisis mode.

Though what you say about the O-line makes sense, I am tired of things happening to yet again give us an O-line that is not ready for prime time, I really think a good O-line miraculously fixes most ills on the offense, so overkill or not, I do hope to get a top Guard in FA.

We absolutely need to get a TE that can be relied on to do his job, not fail when needed, and another LB would help a lot...preferably a LB that is good in coverage.

The problem with fixing the offense is that the defense needs help too and we don't have a lot of money under the cap and only one extra pick in the 7th round. I know we have two picks in round 4 but none in round 5 and with t-dumb and Grier in charge we can't expect much. We gotta hope that Tannehill comes back 100% healthy AND doesn't get hurt again and RM and Lippett comes back 100% healthy too but we still need help at
DE,TE,RB, all over the o-line and we need a young QB to groom

Ozzy rules!!

lets see more of Fede the rest of season

Draft a QB in the 1st, trade Tannehill for two 2nds (or a 1st if anyone is desperate enough to offer it), use the extra picks to address the OL and sign a guard in free agency with all the money you save from removing Tannehill's contact. If Landry's asking for too much you tag and trade him. We're gonna need all the picks we can get, we need a QB of the future, multiple OL, another RB, a TE, likely WR if Landry is moved, might need a new RT if they decide JuWan James isn't worth $9.3 million, I mean this joke of an offense needs to be completely blown up.

This is all a lot more likely to happen with a new leader in the front office so hopefully after we finish 4-12 or 5-11 with a 2-3 more blowouts along the way Ross decides to boot Tannenbaum out of here.

He really hasn't been, actually. I'd bring him back at league minimum salary only because our TE room is a disaster and at least he'll do his job, even if he's not doing it well.
IMHO, he 's definitely been the best blocking TE we've had since .... well since he left. He has been far better than any other blocking TE we've had. But that's his role now, strictly blocking. He's no longer a pass catching threat unless he's uncovered.

TE Gary Barnidge is still a FA. I don’t understand why Cleveland cut him unless it was for money issues. Maybe Miami should sign him for a year or 2 until they can finally find a TE in the draft after dealing with other holes that need fixed.
Not sure whether it was true or not, but I heard from a friend that he may have concussion issues.

My question is ... who is scouting and picking this guard? Our track record is very consistently bad. I'm all for putting some resources into getting the guard position right, because every good run game starts with talented guards. Pass protection is all about tackles, and a center definitely helps from an organization standpoint ... but at the end of the day, there are very few centers that can generate offensive push like most guards. Those guys are highly valued if they can do that and organize the OL at the line of scrimmage.

Scouts are kinda like the hidden gems of an organization. They never get credit for personnel hits or misses, but they are almost always the reasons the GM's select guys. I've noticed a few things about our scouts.

1. They don't seem to put enough weight on character ... we keep adding players who screw up.
2. They're now good at scouting WR's, from Rishard Mathews to Jarvis Landry to Kenny Stills (FA) and Jakeem Grant (late pick), they've made some good recommendations.
3. They're good at spotting DL talent. Soliai (mid round draft pick), Starks (mid level FA), Vernon (developmental draft pick), Suh (high level FA), Godcheaux (late draft pick). Sure, there have been misses too, but we're finding talent.
4. They're good at spotting CB's for this system. Tankersley was a hit. Howard has been mixed but shows promise. Lippett was a gamble that is developing (when he heals up). Maxwell played some good games while he was here too.
5. Theyr'e pretty decent at picking RB's. Miller, Ajayi, Williams, Drake.
6. They don't value TE's. Clay and Sims were mid to late round picks, Julius Thomas and Fasano were cheap FA acquisitions, we're shopping in the B and C pile.
7. They're horrible at identifying OL talent. Sure, they spot all-everything guys like Jake Long and Laremy Tunsil, and twins of proven players like Pouncey, but they overpay for guys like Albert and Pouncey, and overdraft guys like James, and consistently spend 3rd round picks on guys who suck. We spent a 3rd rounder on Tankersley this year ... and it worked out soooooo much better!

I'm not saying our scouts are garbage. But I'm saying get someone else to evaluate OL. Ross has the money, find some good talent scouts. Then let the new, better scouts pick some new OL.

This offense is horrible and i cant see how adding Tannehill to it next year. With the possible chance of us not winning another game and getting a high draft pick , should we draft a QB if a top prospect is available at our pick ? TE has to be addressed because the JT is not cutting it . I think Landry is gone next season and Devante Parker is in his 3rd season and still hasnt looked like a top pick. The O Line has to be redone because its just awful. How should the Dolphins go about retooling the offense ?

Sign Kirk Cousins and trade Tannehill for picks.

There is a golden opportunity here to get one of the league's best QBs in free agency, while garnering more high draft picks by trading the current one. That won't happen often.

Imagine coming out of the offseason with a better starting QB, as well as a greater than normal number of high draft picks who can possibly address other areas of need. Talk about improving the team quickly.

Gase is married to Tannehill and Cutler. How does this turn out? The OL either needs a stud coach or the players are just not that good. That falls on the GM. Tunsil was a steal, and maybe he plays lights out on another team (Like a lot of players do when they leave) but our line coach needs to be highly thought of.

I miss Clay, the guy was a star. With him catching and Fasano blocking, it's awesome.

Asiata needs to be ready next year to start.

One day we will go through the process of drafting a team and coaching them to win (Green Bay). Start young, make trades, and get the line up. Trade Suh for some picks. For example just get a young LB corp. McMillan and two other high picks. Just let these guys battle together and in a couple of years they'll gel. Same goes for offensive units.

The part on offense that I stll can't believe is that the 2 guys who gave so much heart to the team are going to be gone. Ajayi is already out, and Landry isn't coming back. Face it. If we wanted to keep him, he'd be here. Miami is playing the game where if Landry has a bad season, they can get him for the cheap. Unfortunately other teams with need of his services will not see it that way *See Olivier Vernon.

It's all irrelevant without coaches that can put together a game plan and cultivate talent. With or without Tannehill, the team will tread water with the current staff.

Back
Top Bottom